Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #15
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
So a small update: the new 3.0 does NOT fit with the Katech AFM-delete valley cover. The hefty PCV boss on the cover interferes with the blower snout. Well, it didn’t…but we broke out the die grinder for some “clearancing” action You have to be care not to get into the PCV plug sealing o-ring but this picture shows it about 60-70% of the way there before calling it a night. We’ll take a little more off, touch up the black finish, then hopefully bolt the damn blower down! I gave Mike @ Katech a heads up too so maybe they can address it during the next cover production run… or just grind away.
Hey Josh, before you bolt that suckered on, can you weigh both the 2.9 and 3.0 head units? I'm curious about the weight increase, if any compared to the 2.9. I'll also weight my puny little 2300 Maggie the next chance I get. It would be interesting to know the weights of all of the popular PD blower options. My guess is the weight difference between the lightest (LT4? 2300 Maggie?) And the heaviest (Whipple 3.0? Maggie 2650?) Is relatively insignificant, I may be mistaken though. It would be interesting to know how all blowers compare, weight wise.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:36 PM   #16
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Josh- thanks for the tip on the pierburg coolant pump. The shop likes that better than the bosch pump so I will order one myself. How about the wiring harness? Did you get the unterminated harness or the one for the CTS-V /ZR1 Corvette? to work with the current wiring- I think the current harness is 3 wire and looks like the pierburg coolant pump is 4 wire maybe?

Last edited by adamjwilson; 03-21-2023 at 04:12 AM.
adamjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:49 AM   #17
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
Josh- thanks for the tip on the pierburg coolant pump. The shop likes that better than the bosch pump so I will order one myself. How about the wiring harness? Did you get the unterminated harness or the one for the CTS-V /ZR1 Corvette? to work with the current wiring- I think the current harness is 3 wire and looks like the pierburg coolant pump is 4 wire maybe?
I’ll double check later but I’m 99% sure the Pierburg is 3 wire as well. I ordered it with the plug & unfinished pigtail so I’ll have to dig into the wiring once I get a little further along.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:50 AM   #18
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hey Josh, before you bolt that suckered on, can you weigh both the 2.9 and 3.0 head units? I'm curious about the weight increase, if any compared to the 2.9. I'll also weight my puny little 2300 Maggie the next chance I get. It would be interesting to know the weights of all of the popular PD blower options. My guess is the weight difference between the lightest (LT4? 2300 Maggie?) And the heaviest (Whipple 3.0? Maggie 2650?) Is relatively insignificant, I may be mistaken though. It would be interesting to know how all blowers compare, weight wise.
I’ll try to remember to do that and let you know.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:04 AM   #19
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Ted- Mike at Katech is working on the PI for the runners on the Whipple, and is close to release. Maybe give them a call to see the ETA. (May be cheaper then the Maggie with the TooHighPSI plates, but who knows)
The port injection service is live.

https://katechengines.com/i-30498203...ction-kit.html
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #20
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I’ll double check later but I’m 99% sure the Pierburg is 3 wire as well. I ordered it with the plug & unfinished pigtail so I’ll have to dig into the wiring once I get a little further along.
Hey Josh-
I ordered the Pierburg pump from DMS, and they suggested the SC pump kit for the ZL1 due to the harness (Part#LTCWA150KIT) and not the kit with the unterminated harness due to the ZL1 harness is more suitable for our use...blah blah blah. Anyways, will still need to do some wiring for it to work on existing harness to Bosch pump (or replace harness). We will see when we dig into in a couple of days.... according to your chart, that Bosch pump is JUNK!!! (spend all that money on the Whipple and they include a cheap pump...go figure )
Old 03-21-2023, 08:05 PM   #21
Joshinator99

Quote:
Hey Josh-
I ordered the Pierburg pump from DMS, and they suggested the SC pump kit for the ZL1 due to the harness (Part#LTCWA150KIT) and not the kit with the unterminated harness due to the ZL1 harness is more suitable for our use...blah blah blah. Anyways, will still need to do some wiring for it to work on existing harness to Bosch pump (or replace harness). We will see when we dig into in a couple of days.... according to your chart, that Bosch pump is JUNK!!! (spend all that money on the Whipple and they include a cheap pump...go figure )
That wiring doesn’t help since my pump is not at the front of my car…
Old 03-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #22
Joshinator99

I mentioned it briefly before but the 3.0 blower pulley is apples-to-oranges vs the 2.9 ones. The 2.9 used a 4-bolt pulley and small diameter jack shaft opening, the new 3.0 uses a thicker shaft and 5-bolt pulley. I have virtually every 2.9 Griptec pulley known to man, so if anyone needs one let’s talk.

In the meantime, the 3.75” pulley that Whipple shipped with the blower doesn’t work at my level, so I just put in a call to Griptec and have a new one coming that should fit the 3.0.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2023, 07:13 AM   #23
adamjwilson

A few 'CONS' along the way with the Whipple 3.0 so far:
1. Whipple's Customer Service is Horrible (Dealer or Consumer). Even the dealers can't pick up the phone and get answers, as Whipple wants everything via email or talk to their sales rep. Luckily I have an inside contact that is somewhat responsive to my questions...
2. Bosch Coolant Pump is JUNK... spend $8k on a supercharger and Whipple provides a replacement of the Varimax to Bosch pump which is well sh**... comparing the Bosch pump to the Pierburg Coolant Pump is night and day... run time will tell if the Pierburg pump is the real deal. Thanks to Josh on the comparison chart- (Note: even the place I bought the Pierburg pump from laughed at me when I told him that I had a bosch pump that failed- that should tell you something.) Whipple wanted the dealer to BUY another Bosch pump that should be covered under warranty because it failed within 5 minutes of use? WTH??? speechless
3. Whipple should provide more options to buy on the lower pulley (and upper for that matter)... luckily the aftermarket has taken up this slack.

Overall, pleased so far with the build but more to come I am sure.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #24
Joshinator99

Quote:
A few 'CONS' along the way with the Whipple 3.0 so far:
1. Whipple's Customer Service is Horrible (Dealer or Consumer). Even the dealers can't pick up the phone and get answers, as Whipple wants everything via email or talk to their sales rep. Luckily I have an inside contact that is somewhat responsive to my questions...
2. Bosch Coolant Pump is JUNK... spend $8k on a supercharger and Whipple provides a replacement of the Varimax to Bosch pump which is well sh**... comparing the Bosch pump to the Pierburg Coolant Pump is night and day... run time will tell if the Pierburg pump is the real deal. Thanks to Josh on the comparison chart- (Note: even the place I bought the Pierburg pump from laughed at me when I told him that I had a bosch pump that failed- that should tell you something.) Whipple wanted the dealer to BUY another Bosch pump that should be covered under warranty because it failed within 5 minutes of use? WTH??? speechless
3. Whipple should provide more options to buy on the lower pulley (and upper for that matter)... luckily the aftermarket has taken up this slack.

Overall, pleased so far with the build but more to come I am sure.
1. Can confirm…

2. The Varimax/Bosch units are similar to the OEM ZL1 units. They’re ok for people running 6-10 psi but if you’re going for big power, then yeah, they’re not going to work out well.

3. Whipple does offer pulleys at last check (7”, 8”, 9” on lower) but rather just hit up TooHighPSI for the lower and Griptec for the upper anyway.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #25
adamjwilson

2. Whipple asking a dealer to BUY another Bosch pump after the initial one fails is crazy and just bad business. Not much faith in the bosch pump regardless of the PSI I may be running cause I gotta remove the front clip to replace if it fails!
3. The offerings by Whipple on the upper pulley goes to 15PSI and ends... (I won't be running that high at this point but luckily the aftermarket has taken up the slack on both upper and lower offerings)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:49 AM   #26
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Not being biased here but hasn't Whipple had a bad reputation in the past for customer service? I don't know for sure but just with the complaints I've heard on this forum. Not saying that others are better but haven't heard the complaints on others as much as Whipple. I hope they start doing better since it appears they have a good product to offer in the 3.0.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #27
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Not being biased here but hasn't Whipple had a bad reputation in the past for customer service? I don't know for sure but just with the complaints I've heard on this forum. Not saying that others are better but haven't heard the complaints on others as much as Whipple. I hope they start doing better since it appears they have a good product to offer in the 3.0.
I have been dealing with Whipple for the past 15 years or so (mostly on boats) and their customer service has always been suspect.... nothing has changed in all those years so far
They have always relied on their name for business IMO (been around since 1987 or so), but others (Procharger comes to mind here) are not much better on the consumer side/assistance.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:04 PM   #28
Joshinator99

So it looks like we have more differences between the two Whipple blowers… the TB mounting flange. At first glance it looks bigger than the 2.9 flange (even though both blowers are 112mm inlet holes from the factory), but after mocking up my Katech 112mm TB, it’s not going to fit without an adapter of some kind. I’ll put in a PM to Katech_Mike and see what he says…