Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #43
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
You dont need a tune for porting the throttle body. The throttle body opening where the blade closes isn't shaved away, so essentially you just remove any bumps or excess material leading up to and away from the blade where it comes into close contact with the TB.

It really shouldn't make much of an impact since the blade isn't exchanged for a bigger one and the TB dimensions aren't changed for that area that the blade works with.

Get a tune, or live with it. Any method of playing with it (including peddle devices) will void portions of your warranty. To me, if your car has been fine for months then it's probably gonna be fine as far as what the warranty covers anyway so void away.

I have the trifecta tune on my v6. It effectively removed nearly all instances of the throttle lag. The only time i have an an issue is exactly as described in that service bulletin, where you have not yet given the transmission time to downshift to 1 before getting on the gas, leaving you likely in 3rd still and causing a delay in expected acceleration. That's really hard to do anything about unless you move to manual mode but then your rpms are high and braking is compromised. give and take there. The trans is just a bit slow on the gear change.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #44
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Do you have to get a tune for that? CEL?
No I didn't... I did a CAI with the ported throttle body at the same time and didn't get a CEL from either. I got the tune about a month later to remove torque management and get a few more gains.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #45
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
All I can say about the throttle lag from drive by wire is that it blows lol.

Best light I ever cut in my 04 mustang .009 I was normally good for a .100 - .199 in my 04

Best light in my 07 was around .199 or something. Most of them were in the .200 to .300 range. Lost a lot of races at the tree lol
see this thread http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496428 GM can develop a new throttle map if we show interest.
MR-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #46
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You dont need a tune for porting the throttle body. The throttle body opening where the blade closes isn't shaved away, so essentially you just remove any bumps or excess material leading up to and away from the blade where it comes into close contact with the TB.
That will still change the relationship between throttle opening and airflow, and the ECU needs to know what this correlation is. I've heard this referred to as a 'transfer function'.

Norm
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #47
Dfelux

Drives: 2016 SS Hyper Blue
Call it whatever you want, but when I hit the gas I want to go...not wait for the car to decide how much throttle it wants to give me. 40k miles and the car still feels too unpredictable. That and the rev hang...when I let off the gas I want to SLOW DOWN.
Dfelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #48
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
As I've said before... GM filters the pedal input in all but track mode. If you want immediate pedal response you need to be in track mode. Sport and touring mode will filter out these transients. Neither EFI Live or HP Tuners expose anything related to the filtering so a tune will not help.

The pedal to torque output relationship can be adjusted via a tune.

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #49
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfelux View Post
Call it whatever you want, but when I hit the gas I want to go...not wait for the car to decide how much throttle it wants to give me. 40k miles and the car still feels too unpredictable. That and the rev hang...when I let off the gas I want to SLOW DOWN.
Rev hang?
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #50
Dfelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluinSC View Post
Rev hang?
That's just how I've heard it referred to. In the M6 when you go for an upshift the computer will let it drop to about 2k RPM and hold it for a bit to allow you to shift into the next gear...just another annoying, unneeded throttle interfeernce. My bet is the lack of 'slow down' is related to that
Old 05-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #51
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
That's just how I've heard it referred to. In the M6 when you go for an upshift the computer will let it drop to about 2k RPM and hold it for a bit to allow you to shift into the next gear...just another annoying, unneeded throttle interfeernce. My bet is the lack of 'slow down' is related to that
Not exactly "unneeded" because sharply closing the throttle results in emissions spikes. Just that the 'need' here is the one involving the meeting of emissions standards rather than the relatively minor drivability concerns of a few drivers.

Yes, I suspect it's related, possibly via abrupt increases to high manifold vacuum (low MAP).

Norm
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #52
Dfelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not exactly "unneeded" because sharply closing the throttle results in emissions spikes. Just that the 'need' here is the one involving the meeting of emissions standards rather than the relatively minor drivability concerns of a few drivers.

Yes, I suspect it's related, possibly via abrupt increases to high manifold vacuum (low MAP).

Norm
Yeah I agree a lot of this is emission related, I just feel that it could have been dealt with differently. Allow the throttle blade to open/close slower just without the total lag. Makes the car feel too unpredictable IMO
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #53
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
As I've said before... GM filters the pedal input in all but track mode. If you want immediate pedal response you need to be in track mode. Sport and touring mode will filter out these transients. Neither EFI Live or HP Tuners expose anything related to the filtering so a tune will not help.

Tim
Tim hate to burst your bubble, but some cars do it in all mods, (my car for one) now if you have a fix i am all ears.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #54
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post

Tim
That's what I feel in my car... but in track + competitive mode. I still feel there's a bit of something going on in just track mode. I would love to see what the actual data from GM is on this - ie. what each mode does exactly.

Quote:
If you have rev-matching enabled, the car will hold the right RPM for the next gear. As in increase RPM for a lower gear OR stop the RPM drop for a higher gear. In my car the revs drop to idle without any hang-ups when I shift in track mode with rev-matching disabled.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #55
Dfelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
That's what I feel in my car... but in track + competitive mode. I still feel there's a bit of something going on in just track mode. I would love to see what the actual data from GM is on this - ie. what each mode does exactly.

If you have rev-matching enabled, the car will hold the right RPM for the next gear. As in increase RPM for a lower gear OR stop the RPM drop for a higher gear. In my car the revs drop to idle without any hang-ups when I shift in track mode with rev-matching disabled.
This is without rev match though...I don't use it as it makes the car lurch under moderate throttle to me...but that's a whole nother issue lol. It won't hold 2k forever, it'll just kinda hang there for a second or so that if you shift too slow the RPM won't drop too far. At least my car does this lol
Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 AM   #56
Dfelux

Ok paid attention going home and now I know what it's doing. W/o rev match it'll still try to hold the revs for the next upshift, but only for like a second or two. I only notice it when skipping gears (i.e. 4th to 6th). Otherwise it doesn't interfere. But it assumes you're not gunna skip a gear