Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #15
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I rented a Legacy and that had a horrible ride, I can only imagine an STI.
The SS even without the MRC would probably have a better ride, and way better
with MRC.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
I rented a Legacy and that had a horrible ride, I can only imagine an STI.
The SS even without the MRC would probably have a better ride, and way better
with MRC.
Weird, I had a 2012 legacy and it rode fairly well.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Box rest assured this Camaro will flat spank a stage2 STI in acceleration I say with with 100% certainty.
+1 I traded in a stage 2 2013 STI for a SS. I haven't got on it full yet, but I can tell it's faster.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #18
CME73

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I had a 2011 wrx and my buddy owns a 2013 sti which I ride in and drive fairly often. I currently drive a 2SS with MRC. Truthfully, I had unrealistic expectations for what the MRC could do. Does it make the ride more smooth compared to track mode? Sure. But it doesn't ride like a Cadillac either. Track mode is nice and stiff very similar to a wrx. Tour mode is more comfortable but doesn't work miracles. You still feel bumps it's just not quite as severe. In my opinion MRC is worth it and makes your DD more bearable compared to an STI.
Couldn't agree more. Funny, I also just came from a 11 WRX to a 2SS with MRC, and also happen to be in San Diego...
CME73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #19
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
I recently sold my 13 WRX which I had the GTworx Cup Kit on it. RCE Yellows, Bilstein Shocks, RCE Swaybars, Kartboy endlinks. Along with Michelin PSS 265/35-18s all around. It was also TP Stage 2, STI Brembos..and much more

I Autocrossed it, Tracked it and Drag Raced it (once god help my 5MT) it was fun but the open diffs really limited my "fun" I could have done an STI Trans swap...etc but I wanted to move to RWD, I also weighed on a scale without me in it 3154lbs, and it was putting ~285 to the wheels.

I test drove a 2ss and boy was it a blast, it did feel "heavier" in the corners but I am going to need a redue and play with the settings because of EPS. My Recipe for my next car is V8, RWD , Manual so the Camaro SS is it I am waiting to put a order on a 1LE.

According to Mortortrend the 16 1SS beats the STI in every performance test they have.

2015 Subaru WRX STI
0-60 MPH 4.6 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.1 sec @ 104.4 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 108 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.97 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.9 sec @ 0.79 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 17/23/19 mpg

2016 1SS without MRC

0-60 MPH 4.0 sec
QUARTER MILE 12.4 sec @ 114.6 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 104 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.00 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.1 sec @ 0.85 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 14/26/18 mpg (est)

Not to mention Streets of Willow with Randy

Subaru WRX STI: 1:26.12
2SS w/MRC (Randy really loves the shocks) : 1:23.15

3 sec on a track is an eternity and the 1LE will be faster, Chevy really did a good job on the new SS.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 04-12-2016 at 12:09 AM.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
GRRR

Drives: Looking at 2016 Camaro, Own 08 STI
I have a 08 STI with a turbo swap to a blouche beefed up Garret GTX30R and some sticky track tires, and tons spend on bushings, intercooler, injectors, bracing, brakes, coolers, shifter, driveshaft, and a lot more. I am making 440 hp to the wheels and 420 Torque but only under boost. When I went to drive the 2016 SS I felt like it is still much faster overall. I would say my 0-30 might be quicker but in a straight line anything past that the Camaro beats it, and with a lot less work shifting perfectly and slipping the clutch just the right amount for the AWD.

In the turns the Subi is amazing, and I dont think out of the box the SS can beat it, maybe the ZL1 would do better but the STI feels literally like going to a carting track...but also rattles and bangs like going to a carting track haha. The camaro feels heavier for sure and a good bit heavier. But the feel I get is that the platform is capable it just rolls a bit more and lacks some grip in the tires that are stock. At the auto X track the STI plows even with the diff set 65% of the power rearward and lots of camber ( -1.8 ish in the front). I think some of it is that the chassis is actually sort of soft and sway bars and springs can only do so much.

So I havent been able to track the SS yet, and I am actually deciding if I want to trade my STI. But I think the SS could be faster in all but the launch and handling on really tight courses. But honestly I think the SS is far more refined actually and the tech is has is far better. Not to mention way more power down low, and longer gears so power up top makes more sense.

In general my impression is the Camaro is just a more advanced car. 08 STI vs 10 SS I would say STI, 16 SS vs 16 STI Camaro for sure.
GRRR is offline   Reply With Quote