Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-04-2020, 12:24 AM   #15
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyleman View Post
I don't understand the point of buying a 4-banger sports car. Lose the utility that other "normal" 4 cylinders have and the power that the car should have. I get that they are half the price of the SS roughly, but c'mon... I save up so I can buy the car I really want.

Totally agree 100 percent! Like me I ended up buying a 2016 SS. Saved thousands and got very low mileage. That's always an option. Especially if you can find a 1ss base model.

Another option is find like a 2012 or 13 under 50,000 miles Coyote Mustang. It's almost as fast and tons cheaper and can add a tun and CAI and will run with the new Camaros and stangs and still have cash left over.

Heck, you can even find a 2009 corvette that is about as fast as the current SS, low miles one for cheaper than a new non v8 Camaro. I've seen around here ones with under 30,000 miles going for under 27k.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #16
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I wouldn't be caught dead driving a "muscle car" with 4 or 6 cylinders. I'm not disregarding those motors, the power they make, or the value they present AT ALL. My problem is, to the average person most of our Camaros look relatively the same, regardless of the trim, motor, etc. To some degree, some of our love that we share from the Camaro comes from the atmosphere it creates. I don't think it is fair that a 4-banger Camaro can be compared neck and neck to a ZL1, that was literally 3x the price. Hell, half of the time I feel like a poser because I don't have a ZL1.

I guess what I'm saying is, let the muscle cars be muscle cars, period. Or at least make it more obvious (cosmetically) between the big boys and those who are not.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyleman View Post
I don't understand the point of buying a 4-banger sports car. Lose the utility that other "normal" 4 cylinders have and the power that the car should have. I get that they are half the price of the SS roughly, but c'mon... I save up so I can buy the car I really want.
Yeah I too saved up (8 years of annual bonuses) to get what I wanted. But as a sports car the Camaro 4 (particularly in 1LE form) is no slouch.

I'll give you one guess what car Randy Pobst bought.

Hint: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566178
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Then there are the old guys that pamper their super cars for 1,900 miles to be traded in to those that pamper them further.

Keep in mind these cars, especially in their V8 forms, are more than capable of being rode hard & put away wet for tens of thousands of miles.

Compression holds, trans shifts hard, rear end holds torque, car accelerates. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Personal experience here: I picked up an 86GT/ 5spd with 80K on the clock with 3.55 gears. Ya don’t think it was wrung out & left to dry many a time?

Well, I started modding it & over a period of 4-5yrs it went from stock (low 15’s) to ported stock E5 heads & ported/welded intake (mid 13’s NA) with a 250HP shot of nitrous (11.7’s 1/4) to a JY twin DSM T25 system (11,7’s @117mph) to GN T3 turbo system with AFR Heads & intake on a stock cam & 13psi on race gas (10.6-10.7’s@ 125-127mph even saw some mid-128’s at Union Grove on a cool night) all on the factory short block. That includes multiple blown headgaskets (honestly lost count) where the oil looked like a chocolate/ vanilla milkshake & one time I blew the head gasket out between 7 & 8 cylinder where exhaust gas was blowing out between the head & block when I over ran the MAF. That motor even encountered a 6k RPM back shift that bent all 8 exhaust valves & “clearanced” the factory flat top pistons to come back with a single T70 & run the same 10.60’s @ 128mph. I made hundreds of passes in that car, not including street hits.

So spare me your “muh 30K mile being beaten on” straw man argument, as these LT motors can handle a metric shit ton more than that 5.0 could even dream of.
OK, noted. I’d still look differently at one traded in by a guy over 70 vs. one with an unknown history or even worse a rental.

I find the V8 ego trip amusing. If the presence of fewer cylinder versions of your car is such a put off, why didn’t you buy a Corvette? If Chevy had historically offered only a V8 Camaro, the low sales volume would have killed it permanently long before it ever made it to Gen 6.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
OK, noted. I’d still look differently at one traded in by a guy over 70 vs. one with an unknown history or even worse a rental.

I find the V8 ego trip amusing. If the presence of fewer cylinder versions of your car is such a put off, why didn’t you buy a Corvette? If Chevy had historically offered only a V8 Camaro, the low sales volume would have killed it permanently long before it ever made it to Gen 6.
I agree there is certainly a difference, in terms of perceived value, from a really low mile, or higher mile, choice.

It’s not an ego trip at all. I was simply showing that as long as it has proper general maintenance done that difference is largely moot. The other side of your argument is over shadowed by the fact a 4 or 6 could be beat on less, the same, or even more, in that mileage range. The V8 is designed to handle that abuse better.

Also consider the amount of throttle & time on throttle to achieve a given acceleration to a desired speed. An example is my ZL1 can roll gently into the throttle to 3/4 & effortlessly hit 100mph, not going over 5kRPM in less time than a 4T can muster going balls out from a dig red lining every gear. That is the difference. One gets beaten like a rented mule while the other is taking a leisurely stroll.

I in no way begrudge any trim owner, nor wish to belittle them. We all have priorities, needs & wants. The reality is, however, they are much different animals.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #20
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I wouldn't be caught dead driving a "muscle car" with 4 or 6 cylinders. I'm not disregarding those motors, the power they make, or the value they present AT ALL. My problem is, to the average person most of our Camaros look relatively the same, regardless of the trim, motor, etc. To some degree, some of our love that we share from the Camaro comes from the atmosphere it creates. I don't think it is fair that a 4-banger Camaro can be compared neck and neck to a ZL1, that was literally 3x the price. Hell, half of the time I feel like a poser because I don't have a ZL1.

I guess what I'm saying is, let the muscle cars be muscle cars, period. Or at least make it more obvious (cosmetically) between the big boys and those who are not.

Thank goodness the vast majority of Camaro owners don't have these insecurities. Otherwise nobody would buy the I4/V6, and the V8 would end up being astronomically expensive (or discontinued).
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I agree there is certainly a difference, in terms of perceived value, from a really low mile, or higher mile, choice.

It’s not an ego trip at all. I was simply showing that as long as it has proper general maintenance done that difference is largely moot. The other side of your argument is over shadowed by the fact a 4 or 6 could be beat on less, the same, or even more, in that mileage range. The V8 is designed to handle that abuse better.

Also consider the amount of throttle & time on throttle to achieve a given acceleration to a desired speed. An example is my ZL1 can roll gently into the throttle to 3/4 & effortlessly hit 100mph, not going over 5kRPM in less time than a 4T can muster going balls out from a dig red lining every gear. That is the difference. One gets beaten like a rented mule while the other is taking a leisurely stroll.

I in no way begrudge any trim owner, nor wish to belittle them. We all have priorities, needs & wants. The reality is, however, they are much different animals.
Good points. I had a ‘95 V6 for over 10 years. Drove it all year through Midwestern winters on all season tires. I’m doing the same thing with the 2016 version while filling it up on 87 octane. I don’t worry about what winter rock salt does to it anymore than if I drove a Camry. An SS that I turn into a hangar queen all winter wouldn’t be out of the question eventually. By then though I doubt the option to buy one will exist anymore. The shifting political winds sure won’t help.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #22
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Thank goodness the vast majority of Camaro owners don't have these insecurities. Otherwise nobody would buy the I4/V6, and the V8 would end up being astronomically expensive (or discontinued).
If you were sitting behind the V8, or the SC V8, perhaps you would have a different opinion. I don't agree with the V8 being "astronomically expensive" if the smaller motors didn't exist. We are still talking a Chevy Camaro here, there are other perimeters to stay within. If the price was much larger, the car would no longer be competitive (or considered) in it's own segment.

I understand that the smaller motors have their place, but I'm saying there should be a much more obvious (cosmetic) difference between the motor levels. I'm not degrading the motors, the cars, or the people that purchase them. I'm more than happy that all of us enjoy our cars, and that we are able to enjoy this forum. People purchase Mustangs/Camaros/Challenger/Chargers because they like the image and atmosphere that the original MUSCLE cars had created, which included BIG MOTORS.

This is comparable to a vegan eating a veggie burger. So you want the experience of eating an original burger (which is animal meat), you want the taste, you want the smell, you want the look, but you don't want to be involved with the consumption of animal products????? This is a prime example of what our country has come to, and slight reasoning of why some of the present issues were nonexistent years ago. However, that is an entirely different discussion. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #23
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
The only time your gonna have an issue with what trim model You have is gonna be in the Camaro groups. Outside of that everything is fine!
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #24
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
The V6 and I4 models are good cars that make plenty of power. I actually wish the Camaro had better visibility and just general livability because more people would buy the car in those trim levels and enhance the profitability and survivability of the entire lineup. My wife drove my car last week and actually said she was uncomfortable with how much power it makes, how it just GOES whenever you press the gas. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who don't need or want the level of power that the V8 makes.

I'm not one of those people- I went with the V8 because I love the power and the sound. That's one "compromise" I did not want to make. But these cars are gorgeous and handle amazingly well regardless of the motor.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #25
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
The V6 and I4 models are good cars that make plenty of power. I actually wish the Camaro had better visibility and just general livability because more people would buy the car in those trim levels and enhance the profitability and survivability of the entire lineup. My wife drove my car last week and actually said she was uncomfortable with how much power it makes, how it just GOES whenever you press the gas. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who don't need or want the level of power that the V8 makes.

I'm not one of those people- I went with the V8 because I love the power and the sound. That's one "compromise" I did not want to make. But these cars are gorgeous and handle amazingly well regardless of the motor.

I know what you're saying... but don't buy a muscle car then? "I only need a vehicle that seats two people, but I'm looking at getting a van?"

x2
Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #26
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
10 years in and some members still think that their opinion matters on what other people have chosen to buy in regards to Camaros. I don't think the OP signed up for a lecture give him a break.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #27
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Dude what? The I4 Mustang and I4 Camaro are the most powerful cars in the mid (and lower) 20K range. You literally can not beat the price per performance in that range.
Agreed! There is nothing that comes close to the Camaro at that price.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I prefer the sound of bald eagles coming out of the exhaust. other then that I have no issue with the 4 or 6 cylinder models...they have their place, just not in my garage.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote