Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Blackzl1Cam

Drives: 2019 BLACK ZL1
Why are people selling there ZL1'S?

I have been battling cancer since July of 2018. MY dream car has been a ZL1.
As of this month I am cancer free and wanting to buy a ZL1.
I drove a 2020 SS for a week and I didn't like that the seats didn't recline enough back for me, but that was about it.
I have not driven a ZL1 yet and when I get one this will be my daily driver.
So I am curious why I am seeing them for sale with 8000 miles or less. I am now seeing some with 20000 miles.
Is there a main reason they are being sold or just impulse buying, comfort,noise,maintenance?
I do not buy cars all the time so whenever I get one I will have it till the wheels drop off.
I would like some feedback before I make this purchase.
Would you recommend a 2SS over a ZL1?
Blackzl1Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
People won't admit to it, but I'll blame it on their wives. I work at a dealership and the majority of men *these days* have their nuts toted around in their wives purse.

Just my assumption though, everyone has different circumstances.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Congrats on being cancer free! Prayers that you continue to beat it!

As for the 2SS, I love mine. I do wish the seats reclined more too but due to having the seat all the way back it's limited. The only reason I chose the 2SS over the ZL1 was price. My 2SS is decked-out so that made it easier to "settle" for it over the ZL1.

Good luck with your decision. Both are amazing and fun cars.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
androskow

Drives: Chevrolet ZL1 @freedom_zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackzl1Cam View Post
I have been battling cancer since July of 2018. MY dream car has been a ZL1.

As of this month I am cancer free and wanting to buy a ZL1.

I drove a 2020 SS for a week and I didn't like that the seats didn't recline enough back for me, but that was about it.

I have not driven a ZL1 yet and when I get one this will be my daily driver.

So I am curious why I am seeing them for sale with 8000 miles or less. I am now seeing some with 20000 miles.

Is there a main reason they are being sold or just impulse buying, comfort,noise,maintenance?

I do not buy cars all the time so whenever I get one I will have it till the wheels drop off.

I would like some feedback before I make this purchase.

Would you recommend a 2SS over a ZL1?
Congrats! I still have my ZL1 and don't intend on selling it. I live in Maryland, so it will probably be in the garage for the winter but I won't sell. It's my dream car. I bought it and enjoy every minute of it. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
androskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
People won't admit to it, but I'll blame it on their wives. I work at a dealership and the majority of men *these days* have their nuts toted around in their wives purse.

Hell my wife ENCOURAGED me to get mine (its nostalgic for both of us). But yeah I think there's a lot of that, I guess I'd say a lot of "buyers and their spouses not being on the same page", which happens with a lot of things, not just ZL1s.
Chris357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:

I'm one of the lucky ones... mine was my 50th birthday present from my wife... yep, she's a keeper... no, sorry, she doesn't have a sister.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
ZLJeffrey

Drives: '19 ZL1 A10, '09 CTS-V, '09 Vette
Congratulations!

IMO, the ZL1 is awesome and a great value. I just purchased mine after 3 years in a V3.

Maybe some buyers did not realize they were basically buying a 2 seater? The back seat really is a joke and the trunk has poor access. Of course, you already know that and it's not a concern for you.
ZLJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
There's no reason that people are selling ZL1's more than any other car. Some ZL1 owners usually have a bit more coin than other trim owners and tend to move up or move on to other vehicles and try lots of different cars in a short period. Others track them until the headlights pop out the front and then dump them to an unsuspecting auction or dealer. There is no one mechanical reason why you're seeing them on the market. People buy, sell, and trade cars just like any other commodity.

The ZL1 is a very mechanically sound car. However, you sound like the 100,000 mile type in which case it would behoove you to understand what owning a 650HP/650TQ means. First off, USAGE is the biggest factor for any thing really but especially such a car as the ZL1. It all depends how, where, and when you drive. With a ZL1, most people are hammering it left and right. That's all well and fine if you understand this: Parts wear down. You won't notice it early on, but as the miles add up, brakes, tires, bushings, springs, lines, etc. start to get tired. Even bigger mechanical flukes can come up in transmissions, rear ends, axles, or even engines. Are these large failures common? Absolutely not. But they can happen when you really start putting miles on a high HP vehicle. Be prepared down the line for maintenance costs and whatever you do stay up to date on the basic maintenance (You know; keep everything clean, lubed, and fresh).

As for the two trim choices...there is no reason to buy an SS over a ZL1 other than straight up price. Period. The ZL1 has so many upgrades over an SS, many of which you'll only notice when you start to actually drive the car. Now, not everybody needs or desires what the ZL1 considers normal, and those people are more than welcome to save the $20,000 and get the SS. If you're able to spend the dough and are aware of some of the larger expenses a ZL1 may have from everything to plate fee to major mechanical failures, then go for it.

As always, YMMV.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
Blackzl1Cam

Quote:

Old 11-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #10
Blackzl1Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
There's no reason that people are selling ZL1's more than any other car. Some ZL1 owners usually have a bit more coin than other trim owners and tend to move up or move on to other vehicles and try lots of different cars in a short period. Others track them until the headlights pop out the front and then dump them to an unsuspecting auction or dealer. There is no one mechanical reason why you're seeing them on the market. People buy, sell, and trade cars just like any other commodity.

The ZL1 is a very mechanically sound car. However, you sound like the 100,000 mile type in which case it would behoove you to understand what owning a 650HP/650TQ means. First off, USAGE is the biggest factor for any thing really but especially such a car as the ZL1. It all depends how, where, and when you drive. With a ZL1, most people are hammering it left and right. That's all well and fine if you understand this: Parts wear down. You won't notice it early on, but as the miles add up, brakes, tires, bushings, springs, lines, etc. start to get tired. Even bigger mechanical flukes can come up in transmissions, rear ends, axles, or even engines. Are these large failures common? Absolutely not. But they can happen when you really start putting miles on a high HP vehicle. Be prepared down the line for maintenance costs and whatever you do stay up to date on the basic maintenance (You know; keep everything clean, lubed, and fresh).

As for the two trim choices...there is no reason to buy an SS over a ZL1 other than straight up price. Period. The ZL1 has so many upgrades over an SS, many of which you'll only notice when you start to actually drive the car. Now, not everybody needs or desires what the ZL1 considers normal, and those people are more than welcome to save the $20,000 and get the SS. If you're able to spend the dough and are aware of some of the larger expenses a ZL1 may have from everything to plate fee to major mechanical failures, then go for it.

As always, YMMV.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
ZLJeffrey

Drives: '19 ZL1 A10, '09 CTS-V, '09 Vette
Quote:
Probably a lot of truth to your theory. My wife gave me a hard time when I told her I was buying one. I told her I would gladly drive the car I bought her (Lexus RX 350) and she stopped complaining.
ZLJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
There's no reason that people are selling ZL1's more than any other car.
Right. There's lots of reasons, particular to each person's circumstance, but I'm sure there's no more churn in ownership here than for any other similarly priced enthusiast car. There's no one reason that is particular to the ZL1 itself.
Chris357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris357 View Post
Hell my wife ENCOURAGED me to get mine (its nostalgic for both of us). But yeah I think there's a lot of that, I guess I'd say a lot of "buyers and their spouses not being on the same page", which happens with a lot of things, not just ZL1s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I'm one of the lucky ones... mine was my 50th birthday present from my wife... yep, she's a keeper... no, sorry, she doesn't have a sister.
Totally with you guys! Mine flew 700 miles with me, helped put blue tape over half the car, and road tripped it home.

But some guys aren't as fortunate, and married to a fun sucking ol' bag. I see it every day when these poor bastards come in the store...full of hope and joy and dreams...till the ol' lady reels them in!
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i love it when guys say at work let me run this by my wife and ill get back to you lol