Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Subperfect

Drives: 16 Camaro
Hood struts

My Camaro isn't the daily, I have a Scion TC for that but the two have something implemented in thier design that I wanted to address the TC has trunk actuators that helps lift the massive trunk weight. Unfortunately the actuators are old and need replacement as they do not help lift the trunk anymore.

Now the Camaro has them not in the trunk but for the hood,my question is what can we do to help maintain the hood struts? I don't know how long they will last the hood assuming isn't as heavy as the trunk in the TC but I would like to keep them working flawlessly for years and years. My first domestic I don't know if they were in the previous gen Camaro.
Subperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
My current DD has the hood struts and after 13 years of ownership, still going strong. I don't see this being a problem in the long haul.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Almost all cars have the hood and trunk shocks. Some wear out quicker than others. You can buy a pair for less than $100 so I don't think you have much to worry about.

I would rather change out some worn shocks than have a crappy metal rod to deal with.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subperfect View Post
Now the Camaro has them not in the trunk but for the hood,my question is what can we do to help maintain the hood struts? I don't know how long they will last the hood assuming isn't as heavy as the trunk in the TC but I would like to keep them working flawlessly for years and years. My first domestic I don't know if they were in the previous gen Camaro.

You're worrying about nothing. They come in all sorts of pressure ratings and can be bought for <$15 each. It may be 10-15 years before they need replacing. Relax.

Last edited by Modshack; 05-08-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Modshack Hit it rite on the head, Why worry about $30-$40 worth of struts when you should be worried about $1200 worth of RUNFLATS or a $4K transmission job? ENJOY!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
My Camaro isn't the daily, I have a Scion TC for that but the two have something implemented in thier design that I wanted to address the TC has trunk actuators that helps lift the massive trunk weight. Unfortunately the actuators are old and need replacement as they do not help lift the trunk anymore.

Most American cars have always had them. Struts wear out. Your local car parts store has them in stock for $20 a piece. Takes 5 minutes to change them.

Why is this even a question?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
My 2014 Mustang came with a hood prop. I upgraded to struts for about $80. I don't think wearing the struts out are a concern given we rarely will ever need to open our hoods

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Subperfect

Drives: 16 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Most American cars have always had them. Struts wear out. Your local car parts store has them in stock for $20 a piece. Takes 5 minutes to change them.

Why is this even a question?
Because its just that...just a question. In a forum where enthusiast can ask a community questions and concerns about things and come together to help each other is why I asked, I didn't have a good experience with struts maybe because they were lifting a different part of the car that weighed more than a hood they definitely didn't last as long as some people have said in the tread.

You're questioning a question that just that....a question well played guess thats what happens when Im worried and not relaxed obliviously lmao
Subperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
Mikey LikesIt

Drives: 2016 Black Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Don't open your hood ever.
Mikey LikesIt is offline   Reply With Quote