Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #15
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I'm also having climate control issues with my 1LT but its not dual climate control, basically when set to 80 its blowing cold air out the vents and I have to set it to HI before it blows anything close to warm and its doing the intermittently.

What can we do to really raise an issue with GM? The dealer is refusing to address this.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Hahahahhahahhaha post of the day award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
�� WTF!! Your kidding right heard on internet must be true? How you suppose this occurs sensors location etc?? These cars have a lot of technology but not enough to tell individual person temperatures sitting in seat. This difference likely came from y’all opening door and switching sides.. good one I needed a ��
Before you make fun you might want to do a quick google search for 'passive infrared sensors' - they've been around for some time. Im not sure what the Camaro has but infrared sensors are not that uncommon and are less prone to fail.

"Some vehicles also use passive infrared sensors mounted in the dash or in an overhead console to monitor the body temperature of the vehicle’s occupants. This allows the system to fine-tune heating and cooling output so everybody stays comfortable."

http://www.underhoodservice.com/auto...ntrol-sensors/

BTW - in some applications the sensors are installed in the control panel so they arent listed as separate parts - if they were to fail (they usually dont), you would have to replace the entire control panel. Has anyone identified the sensors for the Camaro (there has to be two for dual climate controls to work).

Last edited by mekirk2; 03-26-2018 at 06:39 PM.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #17
mekirk2

I know Im a country hillbilly with no formal teachin' and all, but you reckon our 2016-18 Camaros might have technology that was available in a 2008 Lexus (if not older - this is just one of the videos Ive found):

Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Someone whom has service manual and can quickly answer that question. But, we are taking about a Camaro not Lexus. I don’t see these sensors in my car unless they are mounted in vents or bluetooth speakers.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #19
mekirk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman2 View Post
Someone whom has service manual and can quickly answer that question. But, we are taking about a Camaro not Lexus. I don’t see these sensors in my car unless they are mounted in vents or bluetooth speakers.
Im pretty sure the grand cherokee had them in the late 2000's - built into the dash control panel. Not exactly a Lexus.

They are usually part of the control panel itself. Ever notice how hard it is to see the IR receiver on a tv? They are easy hide. Not sure if the service manual will list them or not - does the service manual list the volume knob on the radio as an individual part?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #20
mekirk2

I hope Mopar didnt beat us on this - in a minivan of all things. I doubt it though. Like I said, these things have been around, in one form or another, for a long time.

"2008-2017 Dodge Caravan / Chrysler Town & Country climate control repairs ImperialCrown wrote about the common problem of having cold air coming from one vent and hot air from another:

In models where the interior temperature is “watched” by dash-mounted infra-red (IR) detectors, sometimes the IR lens can be obscured by things hanging from the rear-view mirror or a coating of tobacco smoke residue, or other dirt. This can interfere with automatically regulating the interior temperature of automatic temperature control vehicles."

https://www.allpar.com/model/m/repairs/RT-climate.html
Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #21
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekirk2 View Post
I dont think this is a fault - the sensor measures the temperature of the person in each seat and adjusts accordingly. I know this because we just noticed it recently as well - my wife was in the passenger seat and her vents (passenger side) were noticeably warmer than my vents (drivers side) and the temp was set the same. We traded sides without changing anything - once she was in the drivers seat the drivers side was noticeably warmer than the passenger side.

Keep in mind that the temp setting is not the temp of the air coming out of the vents but the target temp of the driver or the passenger. Like when you set your house air to 72 - the system is designed to get your ambient air temp to 72, not push 72 degree air out of the vents.
OP here. When my 98.6 degree hand is on the gearshift and I'm the only one in the car with both center vents pointed towards me and one vent is blowing cold air and the other is blowing warm air, I find your theory difficult to swallow.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #22
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Before you make fun you might want to do a quick google search for 'passive infrared sensors' - they've been around for some time. Im not sure what the Camaro has but infrared sensors are not that uncommon and are less prone to fail.

"Some vehicles also use passive infrared sensors mounted in the dash or in an overhead console to monitor the body temperature of the vehicle’s occupants. This allows the system to fine-tune heating and cooling output so everybody stays comfortable."

http://www.underhoodservice.com/auto...ntrol-sensors/

BTW - in some applications the sensors are installed in the control panel so they arent listed as separate parts - if they were to fail (they usually dont), you would have to replace the entire control panel. Has anyone identified the sensors for the Camaro (there has to be two for dual climate controls to work).
Foot—>mouth. I apologize. Learned something new today....although still skeptical about its effectiveness and if it’s in our Camaros.

Humans normal temperature is 98.6 and feeing hot or cold, or desiring a warm or cold breeze from the Cars climate control system, does not change our body’s temperature. My wife could be 98.8 and feel freezing, and I could be 98.4 and feel hot. IF these systems can detect minute differences in body surface temperature....I’m not sure why it would contribute to a better climate experience. Strange IMO.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:20 AM   #23
mekirk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Foot—>mouth. I apologize. Learned something new today....although still skeptical about its effectiveness and if it’s in our Camaros.

Humans normal temperature is 98.6 and feeing hot or cold, or desiring a warm or cold breeze from the Cars climate control system, does not change our body’s temperature. My wife could be 98.8 and feel freezing, and I could be 98.4 and feel hot. IF these systems can detect minute differences in body surface temperature....I’m not sure why it would contribute to a better climate experience. Strange IMO.
No problem. I thought something was wrong and was planning on taking it to the dealer and asking until we swapped sides. It was strange how it felt like it was almost the exact difference but on the opposite side. Im not sure if a persons mass has anything to do with it either - Im almost twice the size of my wife so there might be more 'surface area' for the sensors to 'see'.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #24
mekirk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
OP here. When my 98.6 degree hand is on the gearshift and I'm the only one in the car with both center vents pointed towards me and one vent is blowing cold air and the other is blowing warm air, I find your theory difficult to swallow.
If there is a large difference then something could be wrong. Or it might be sensing something else on the passenger side (seat temp, air temp, etc). Remember (if its using IR sensors) its not sensing the temp of the heat blowing out of the vents - its sensing the ambient temp around the driver and passenger and adjusting the vent temp accordingly. Where the center vents are pointed really dont affect the way the system works - the left vent will always blow based on the drivers setting and the right vent will be based on the passenger even if they are both blowing on you.

Here's something to try - start the car and then immediately get in the passenger seat (dont let the drivers seat warm up from you sitting in it). Make sure the seat heaters / blowers are off. Sit there for 5 minutes or so with the doors closed and see if the temp of the vents swap sides from what you are experiencing when you are in the drivers seat.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #25
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
@ mekirk2 while this is all interesting news and I don't deny the presence of the technology in modern vehicles, I have my doubts its implemented in our cars. My heat for example at 80 degrees got HOT.. and I mean so damn hot I had to crack a window while turning the blower COMPLETELY off and I would be COOKING inside that car. I'm pretty sure my body temperature at that time was set to "broil" and that thing was still kicking out as much hot air as it could even with the system completely OFF... Later its 40 degrees outside and while I'm not FREEZING, I was nowhere near as hot as it was when it was just bawling out hot air on me.. ..my body temp I'm sure was much lower.. ..so I'm heavily doubting this is the case.. ..but it would be nice to have confirmation on the presence of these systems because GM mechanics are claiming that systems similar to this are present in the vehicle as well.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #26
mekirk2

We all know how well technology implementation can go The tight space in the Camaro may make it more difficult for the system to work as well (just a guess on my part). I do agree that the system in the Camaro is more flakey than my other vehicles.

Many people don't understand how the 'auto' feature works on modern cars. In old cars, when you want to cool down, you set the temp setting all the way to cold, turn on max air and run the fan on high until you were comfortable, then you turned the fan down and maybe turned the temp up a bit to keep from freezing. The temp control switch controlled the temp coming out of the vents and that was all.

In the new systems, when you click 'auto' and set your temp (say 71), the system does its best to regulate the temperature around you. So, when you start the car, the air blows ice cold until the car cools off and then the fan slows / air temp increases out of the vents once the target temp is met. Auto climate controls require some type of ambient air temp or body temp sensors - usually IR sensors now because they are pretty reliable and cheap.

Most cars are even smarter about it though. My Nissan Titan, for example (2008 with auto climate control) will not activate the system in winter until the truck engine is up to temp. So, when I start the truck in the winter time, the heater blower does not start to blow for the first 3 minutes or so until the truck is warm. In the summer, however, the system starts blowing immediately because that AC pump is already spinning. I leave the truck on 71 year round and NEVER touch it - it does a great job of keeping the truck temp comfortable. My wifes 2014 Grand Cherokees climate control system does not do near as well as the Nissan.

It amazes me how integrated these systems are with other car systems. They use the outside air temp sensor, vehicle temp sensors, a sun sensor on the dash, as well as multiple sensors in the vent systems to regulate the temp. I wouldnt go back to the old way if I had a choice

Last edited by mekirk2; 03-27-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
mekirk2

Want to see something I think is pretty cool - check out this guy troubleshooting a 2010 GMC Acadias auto climate control system. Especially the test equipment - apparently these systems are also able to store trouble codes. I thought the number of sensors listed in the software was interesting as well:

Sensors located somewhere in the vents:

The stored codes for the HVAC system:

Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Want to see something I think is pretty cool - check out this guy troubleshooting a 2010 GMC Acadias auto climate control system. Especially the test equipment - apparently these systems are also able to store trouble codes. I thought the number of sensors listed in the software was interesting as well:
I agree that is neat.
As far as I can tell, nobody reporting problems here has gotten that kind of detailed feedback from the service dept., just "it's working as it should." That's not the same as, "We checked the readings from all the sensors and actuators and they are all within spec."

Those with stubborn dealers should grab a probe thermometer from Amazon or Harbor Freight and keep it in the car so they can make a cell phone video when the system acts up. Sorry, but if you set the temp at 68 the duct should not be blowing 80.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote