Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #57
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I am one of those apartment people mentioned which is why Full EV is out of the question for me.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #58
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I am one of those apartment people mentioned which is why Full EV is out of the question for me.
I'd say that driving to the charging station and the gas station aren't entirely dissimilar but EV range is lower and it takes more time to dump those electrons so they aren't quite the same deal, agreed.

I think Hybrids and gas vehicles need to remain in the mix for a long time but for most buyers, a BEV will make the most sense although even then you can expect an average 1-2k (or more) charge for that level 2 charger garage install- and possibly required electrical panel/subpanel upgrade. 120V charging is just not going to really cut it for BEV's. Free/reduced charging at dedicated work parking spaces would really spice things up, probably be a great tax deduction too.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #59
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
I'd say that driving to the charging station and the gas station aren't entirely dissimilar but EV range is lower and it takes more time to dump those electrons so they aren't quite the same deal, agreed.

I think Hybrids and gas vehicles need to remain in the mix for a long time but for most buyers, a BEV will make the most sense although even then you can expect an average 1-2k (or more) charge for that level 2 charger garage install- and possibly required electrical panel/subpanel upgrade. 120V charging is just not going to really cut it for BEV's. Free/reduced charging at dedicated work parking spaces would really spice things up, probably be a great tax deduction too.
That's why you see some companies focusing their effort on FCEV, which you can fill up quickly, and it can work for certain countries like Japan, but hydrogen has its own share of trouble.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #60
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Years ago I had the idea that they should come up with a standard battery design that could be quickly swapped, then you could have battery change stations like those Blue Rhino propane tank swap stations outside of home improvement and grocery stores. But getting manufacturers to agree to that would be near impossible.

And for the record, I also had an idea for video rental deliveries in the 90s that I laughed off as "never gonna work" - so not all of my ideas suck

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #61
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Years ago I had the idea that they should come up with a standard battery design that could be quickly swapped, then you could have battery change stations like those Blue Rhino propane tank swap stations outside of home improvement and grocery stores. But getting manufacturers to agree to that would be near impossible.

And for the record, I also had an idea for video rental deliveries in the 90s that I laughed off as "never gonna work" - so not all of my ideas suck
This is actually an old idea that was considered many years ago and ultimately rejected. Industry standardization is just one problem. Ends up being much less practical.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #62
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post

This is actually an old idea that was considered many years ago and ultimately rejected. Industry standardization is just one problem. Ends up being much less practical.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #63
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
The Lotus E-R9 concept for a 2030 endurance racer uses hot swap-able batteries. I think this is the only way (in the near future) to have a pure EV motorsport comparable to IndyCar/F1 ICE. (Current Formula E limits the cars ~268hp for a 45 min race).

Perhaps tracks days in the near future will have charging available for EV's, but if everyone is in an EV, i'm guessing your typical track day would require ~25 level 3 chargers to get ~75 cars in three run groups a charger (not cheap ($50k a piece $3k/year maintenance), and given the charger will be underutilized in the pits, it will be expensive to charge).
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #64
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
The Lotus E-R9 concept for a 2030 endurance racer uses hot swap-able batteries. I think this is the only way (in the near future) to have a pure EV motorsport comparable to IndyCar/F1 ICE. (Current Formula E limits the cars ~268hp for a 45 min race).

Perhaps tracks days in the near future will have charging available for EV's, but if everyone is in an EV, i'm guessing your typical track day would require ~25 level 3 chargers to get ~75 cars in three run groups a charger (not cheap ($50k a piece $3k/year maintenance), and given the charger will be underutilized in the pits, it will be expensive to charge).
Interesting thoughts. I am also wondering if off-road Motorsports activities have to adhere to the same constraints as public roads. I mean, in a scenario where sales of new ICE cars is banned, but purchase of used ICE is okay, would tracks just continue to support ICE track cars. Could make the sport even that much more popular. Go out on the weekend to “get your ICE on”.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #65
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Better Place is a good case study. They’re out of business now. Their battery swap concept made sense in an environment where companies were still figuring out where to fit batteries in typical vehicle platforms. In this resurgence of BEV activity and with the onset of new product that is about to hit the market HARD in 2022, batteries are a part of the structure of the platform. Swapping will NOT be a thing. You’d have to remove the vehicle top hat to get to the battery packs. It can be done, and will likely be a serviceable action, but you’re not getting to that in an hour or two. Here’s shots of the Hummer BET platform I took at Motor Bella showing how the batteries are integrated into the platform. So, yes they are replaceable at a module level and, according to GM, at a pouch level, but replacing the entire pack is on par with an engine replacement and will not be a quick operation.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #66

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think Japan has used a swapping station/system for their fleets of Prius taxicabs...Something along those lines. I think the swapping idea is still alive.

Besides, China seems to like the idea, so...you know, blah, blah...etc.

Google "battery swapping stations"...found this, for example

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...25-2021-09-26/
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #67
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Better Place is a good case study. They’re out of business now. Their battery swap concept made sense in an environment where companies were still figuring out where to fit batteries in typical vehicle platforms. In this resurgence of BEV activity and with the onset of new product that is about to hit the market HARD in 2022, batteries are a part of the structure of the platform. Swapping will NOT be a thing. You’d have to remove the vehicle top hat to get to the battery packs. It can be done, and will likely be a serviceable action, but you’re not getting to that in an hour or two. Here’s shots of the Hummer BET platform I took at Motor Bella showing how the batteries are integrated into the platform. So, yes they are replaceable at a module level and, according to GM, at a pouch level, but replacing the entire pack is on par with an engine replacement and will not be a quick operation.
Lifting the body to swap the batteries sounds really expensive. Battery packs come with a eight year, 100,000 mile warranty.

That will make a 100k timing belt service seem like the good old days. It will be like Ferrari when selling used ...has the battery service been done?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 09-27-2021 at 01:23 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #68

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
This would work for apartment dwellers and others, etc. who can't charge at home or in a garage.

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #69
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Want an end to this electric junk?

VOTE.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #70
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
This would work for apartment dwellers and others, etc. who can't charge at home or in a garage.

Rain and snow would ruin those in quick order, particularly the latter since you have salt to worry about.

And these machines probably need high precisions, which doesn't help. You need frequent calibrations and the weather issues mentioned before just add to the problem. At best, a misaligned machine will strip out a bolt and cause some headache. At worst, it can puncture a battery and... You can imagine the rest.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote