Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
Bowtie_Driver

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
The thing with a new car is the 0% financing which is great and hard to ignore. I do still have to check and see if Chevy offers it. I know the mustang does and that itself saves a bunch of money.

A used ZL1 would be the best of both worlds as far as performance goes. The sound and interior of the SS and the power of the boosted mustang. I need to sell this stupid vette
GM has been offering 0% financing on 2019 Camaro's. I don't think it is on the 2020's yet.
Bowtie_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #30
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah, I’d go FBO right away. Then decide how much i really want to go into this build. I don’t know if i can pick the Camaro and NOT get a cam lol so thats where i go down the rabbit hole and need to decide on n/a or boosted build and if the amount of money in a Camaro to make 550-600 is worth it vs boosting a mustang for similar money and making much more power.
True, I guess then it's really a question of do you prefer NA power or boosted. I prefer NA (less heat, less weight, better balance) but I know it's not necessarily the most cost effective power per dollar wise lol.... now keep in mind some of these heads cam cars are running 9s, so underpowered relatively speaking but stilli getting it fast.... if you're chasing massive 800+ hp then boost the mustang.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #31
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
I was faced with a similar dilemma a couple of years back. I chose at the time to go with an 18 5.0 A10. I really liked many things about it and my intention was to boost. It ran strong N/A with just an e85 Lund tune and some minor bolt ons. Unfortunately, I ran into some major mechanical issues and ended up trading out of it.

I traded it for my 19 SS A10. It seems very easy to get caught up in the horsepower wars and for drag racing, I totally get it. A boosted coyote is a rocket and there is no doubt it holds the initial upper hand. But I will say this, and this isn't reflected in the dyno numbers, the Camaro is simply an overall better driving experience. The precision of the steering and excellent handling (and I just have an SS not a 1lE) is just light years ahead of the Mustang. The overall feel and balance of the car is alive, whereas the Mustang just feels a bit more numb and disconnected. (i'm not talking about the GT350 or GT500). You can only go so fast on public roads and realisticly, we cant use the power they come with stock legally. Lots of hp (as you know) is nice but if its more of a 1 trick pony, at some point, it leaves you longing for more.

Also, the low end torque of the LT1 should be considered. It makes those mundane drives even more enjoyable. Boost is a blast but its simply 1 element. In many ways I loved my Mustang but to simply get in and drive them, the Camaro is hands down much more fun in every circumstance, not just a straight line. Camaro's strengths are its balance and advantage when it comes to building N/A horsepower. Give them a thorough test drive and see for yourself. Good luck!!
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #32
John_B

Drives: 2020 WRX. 2002 C5Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
True, I guess then it's really a question of do you prefer NA power or boosted. I prefer NA (less heat, less weight, better balance) but I know it's not necessarily the most cost effective power per dollar wise lol.... now keep in mind some of these heads cam cars are running 9s, so underpowered relatively speaking but stilli getting it fast.... if you're chasing massive 800+ hp then boost the mustang.
I definitely like all the benefits of N/A. I think I’m getting stuck on the Higher horsepower number = more fun. True to a point, but not everything.

Realistically i have never been to a track with any of my cars, i haven’t actually went to Mexico in over a year because all i do is work. I should get the car with nicer interior and better sound (Camaro) to enjoy on nice days and leave it at that. Decisions decisions...
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #33
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
I was faced with a similar dilemma a couple of years back. I chose at the time to go with an 18 5.0 A10. I really liked many things about it and my intention was to boost. It ran strong N/A with just an e85 Lund tune and some minor bolt ons. Unfortunately, I ran into some major mechanical issues and ended up trading out of it.

I traded it for my 19 SS A10. It seems very easy to get caught up in the horsepower wars and for drag racing, I totally get it. A boosted coyote is a rocket and there is no doubt it holds the initial upper hand. But I will say this, and this isn't reflected in the dyno numbers, the Camaro is simply an overall better driving experience. The precision of the steering and excellent handling (and I just have an SS not a 1lE) is just light years ahead of the Mustang. The overall feel and balance of the car is alive, whereas the Mustang just feels a bit more numb and disconnected. (i'm not taking about the GT350 or 500). You can only go so fast on public roads and realisticly, we cant use the power they come with stock legally. Lots of hp (as you know) is nice but if its more of a 1 trick pony, at some point, it leaves you longing for more.

Also, the low end torque of the LT1 should be considered. It makes those mundane drives even more enjoyable. Boost is a blast but its simply 1 element. In many ways I loved my Mustang but to simply get in and drive them, the Camaro is hands down much more fun in every circumstance, not just a straight line. Camaro's strengths are its balance and advantage when it comes to building N/A horsepower. Give them a thorough test drive and see for yourself. Good luck!!

Very reasonable advice/outlook, thank you. Basically what i just responded to the person above with, I’m getting caught in the numbers but for what im actually going to use the car for, i don’t think that should be a priority. Its just hard to ignore lol

I have to go drive a Camaro and see how i like it. Plus it would be a new project, I’ve done a coyote, i just did the LS with the vette. Now try a new LT1 and a Camaro. I wish it could hold boost and all my problems would be solved.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #34
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I owned (or made payments on) a 2014 Mustang GT track pack, a 2015 Mustang GT performance pack, and a 2017 Camaro SS 6M. I recently traded my 2017 Camaro SS. I was considering a leftover 2019 Mustang GT performance pack 2. They don't come with Recaros, the MT82 is garbage, and those tires make that thing a handful for daily driving. I decided on a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE and haven't looked back. The chassis on these cars just blows away the S550, not to mention the TR6060 manual trans.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #35
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I owned (or made payments on) a 2014 Mustang GT track pack, a 2015 Mustang GT performance pack, and a 2017 Camaro SS 6M. I recently traded my 2017 Camaro SS. I was considering a leftover 2019 Mustang GT performance pack 2. They don't come with Recaros, the MT82 is garbage, and those tires make that thing a handful for daily driving. I decided on a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE and haven't looked back. The chassis on these cars just blows away the S550, not to mention the TR6060 manual trans.

You can add Recaros to the performance pack 2? Unless you just mean they don’t come with them standard, which makes zero sense to me. Performance package but no performance seats. I agree with everything else you said, better interior, better transmission, better chassis and i always have to mention how much better the Camaro sounds compared to the coyote. Stock for stock, the SS 1LE is by far a better value to me. Depending on how far past stock you go and what you use the car for is the only time it becomes a question of which car to get.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #36
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
Quote:
Very reasonable advice/outlook, thank you. Basically what i just responded to the person above with, I’m getting caught in the numbers but for what im actually going to use the car for, i don’t think that should be a priority. Its just hard to ignore lol

I have to go drive a Camaro and see how i like it. Plus it would be a new project, I’ve done a coyote, i just did the LS with the vette. Now try a new LT1 and a Camaro. I wish it could hold boost and all my problems would be solved.
The LT1 can't hold any boost? News to me LOL

Somehow mines been great though boosted since 2017 so I'll consider myself lucky I guess

Honestly from my own experience at the drag strip for similar mods I really never had any Boosted Coyote envy at all (1st and 2nd gen , that 3rd gen whoa now they make power but have issues unfortunately). I'm not saying they weren't some really fast ones cause umm yeah there really are ...but for the most part many of them just don't run like the Youtube hero cars everyone thinks is the automatic default times every boosted Coyote runs. Key word here real world as watching too many Youtube videos rots your brain and alters your perception of others reality just enough to make it painful haha. Getting caught up in numbers is a great way to turn something fun into a pain in the ASS.

Also at the end of the day I drag race yes but I also use my SS for other performance driving events and in regards to vehicle handling and chassis dynamics the S550 chassis cars are just not on the same level as the Alpha 6 chassis and its immediately apparent after driving both in anything but a strait line.

I didn't want a one trick pony regardless of how great at the one trick it was .... but I did consider it. Plus I have an 03 Cobra already so I'm good on the stangs for now.

I will admit though sometimes I watch videos of the H/C NA Pray 6th gens and it makes me want to build another non boosted 6th gen ... like you said the Sound and those Pray cars just flat out Perform no doubt.

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).

Last edited by RageWorx; 05-20-2020 at 08:12 PM.
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #37
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageWorx View Post
The LT1 can't hold any boost? News to me LOL

Somehow mines been great though boosted since 2017 so I'll consider myself lucky I guess

Honestly from my own experience at the drag strip for similar mods I really never had any Boosted Coyote envy at all (1st and 2nd gen , that 3rd gen whoa now they make power but have issues unfortunately). I'm not saying they weren't some really fast ones cause umm yeah there really are ...but for the most part many of them just don't run like the Youtube hero cars everyone thinks is the automatic default times every boosted Coyote runs. Key word here real world as watching too many Youtube videos rots your brain and alters your perception of others reality just enough to make it painful haha. Getting caught up in numbers is a great way to turn something fun into a pain in the ASS.

Also at the end of the day I drag race yes but I also use my SS for other performance driving events and in regards to vehicle handling and chassis dynamics the S550 chassis cars are just not on the same level as the Alpha 6 chassis and its immediately apparent after driving both in anything but a strait line.

I didn't want a one trick pony regardless of how great at the one trick it was .... but I did consider it. Plus I have an 03 Cobra already so I'm good on the stangs for now.

I will admit though sometimes I watch videos of the H/C Pray 6th gens and it makes me want to build another 6th gen ... like you said the Sound and those Pray cars just flat out Perform no doubt.

-Jon

LT1s not holding boost was an over simplification and also in comparison to the coyote lol.

H/C 6th gen seems to be the route I’m leaning towards for all the reasons mentioned, just a much nicer car the more and more i look into it. Also i can go little by little. I’ll probably have headers on within a week of buying it lol.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #38
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
Quote:
LT1s not holding boost was an over simplification and also in comparison to the coyote lol.

H/C 6th gen seems to be the route I’m leaning towards for all the reasons mentioned, just a much nicer car the more and more i look into it. Also i can go little by little. I’ll probably have headers on within a week of buying it lol.
I figured that's what you meant just having some fun .... sounds like a great plan can't wait to see what you do with it

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #39
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageWorx View Post
I figured that's what you meant just having some fun .... sounds like a great plan can't wait to see what you do with it

-Jon
If you want to help out and buy my C5Z, I’ll get started right away! Haha had a bunch of interest right after posting (2 weeks ago) seemed to of died down. Not a good time to sell, and a very small target market with my car. Most guys want stock vettes.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #40
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
You can add Recaros to the performance pack 2? Unless you just mean they don’t come with them standard, which makes zero sense to me. Performance package but no performance seats. I agree with everything else you said, better interior, better transmission, better chassis and i always have to mention how much better the Camaro sounds compared to the coyote. Stock for stock, the SS 1LE is by far a better value to me. Depending on how far past stock you go and what you use the car for is the only time it becomes a question of which car to get.
One thing people never mention is if that if talking manual vs manual, sure you have to build the lt1 to handle high boost but you also have to swap or build that mt82 to be worth a shit. The tr6060 on the camaro is plenty strong out of the gate, and the 1les do have some upgraded drivetrain parts such as the 9.9 inch zl1 rear end and beefier half shafts that probably don't need to be touched at any reasonable power level.

Not too mention, even though the mustang handles boost better its not like its going to live at over 900. Eventually it'll need to be built too past a certain power level, albeit cheaper.

OP is considering an auto GT so I guess this is irrelevant lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #41
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Yea, the Recaros are an upcharge on the Mustang. I will say that the Coyote is the superior engine when it comes to boost. A set of upgraded OPG's and you're good to go. I'm not someone with the money to spend like that, so I'm a N/A guy. Always have been. When I traded my 2015 Mustang GT, I had Stainless Works longtubes with cats, JLT CAI, and a Palm Beach Dyno tune (it was quicker than my Lund tune). One drive in a 2017 Camaro SS and I was sold. I was so sick of no torque and that awful raspy exhaust. Even after a $550 MGW shifter, it was still so-so at shifting at WOT at best.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #42
Noize

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
This might seem a little harsh, I apologize. I’m just trying to expound.

OP, you keep on talking about street racing and power. You say you don’t care anymore, but your posts prove that’s not true, because your replies prove you’re still hung up on horsepower. The Mustang is definitely the right car for you.

I don’t give a crap about that stuff, so I bought a 1LE. If you have no plans to track it, a 1LE is a complete waste for a person like you. It’s a handling car first and foremost, and designed to be exceptional on track for its cost- and maintain warranty- as long as it stays stock.

The step up to me of an SS 1LE would be a GT350. That engine and those Recaros are serious! It is a great canvas for the track. A step up from that would be a ZL1 1LE.

Because I value handling, I wouldn’t walk across the street to take a dump on a GT. Their interiors are garbage compared to the GT350, they handle much worse. The Performance Pack 2 is a harsh, tramlining mess that needs a superior tire to barely beat an SS 1LE on track. But the SS drives, brakes, and changes directions infinitely better. Same tire, the SS will beat it on track again, this has been proven.

The GT also has fat man spec Recaros. They’re not as good as the 1LE seats, and don’t hold a candle to the GT350 Recaros.

But all that is moot. You want power and to go fast in a straight line. So the rest of that all falls to the wayside. Because a Coyote is the engine if you want to make power, they are monsters modified. Stop torturing yourself and buy a Mustang GT.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote