Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Thread Closed

Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #43
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Interesting trials for a week each , 8 Wall St Journal reporters from all around the world try a EV, in the end only one would consider buying one. Typically EV's are highly subsidized and yet still more expensive by far compared to equivalent IC engine cars. Only one of these journalists (who happened to be in China) thought it worked for him. One lady located in Michigan took a 10 hour road trip, took her 30 hours due to the lack of chargers and slow charging times in winter. All suffered from range anxiety with their cars.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/shi...d=hp_lead_pos5
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #44
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Me neither. BTW, interesting chart in the middle of the article. The Tesla was fast in its first and second 0-60 runs, but the third consecutive one was clocked at slightly below 5 sec, the 6th one at 7 sec, then it practically flatlined at 6 sec.
But note the Porsche repeats time after time after time.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #45
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Electric cars, to me, have yet to offer a soul, like many of the cars a lot of us like to enjoy. They don't yet have the sound, the smell, the feel, and all the rest that give cars personality. I don't want to hear some artificial engine noise through speakers when go to start my car in the morning. I smile every time it fires up and cackles away. The feel of the body shake as it idles, just teasing me to open the throttle.

Electric cars are tools for regular people who don't give a crap about cars, for the most part. I don't care if it's a Porsche or a Bolt, they are tools. Just because it's crazy fast doesn't give it personality. I hope things turn around for Camaro, and I hope the Pony and Challenger keep-up the competition, but electric doesn't interest me at all. That's why I've been saying this is the last of these kinds of cars...

JMHO...
I’m just betting if you drove the Taycan, you might think differently. Not that I have, obviously, but it’s still a Porsche and other than vroom, vroom sounds I expect it to be fully engaging. It was engineered to run the ‘ring for crying out loud, and does very well based on the time.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #46
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
As long as the Camaro is offered with a traditional engine IN ADDITION to electric/hybrid options, then I will be happy.

We all know the Camaro won't be 'electric only' anytime soon. We don't have the infrastructure and being electric only would drive the price WAY up.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
As long as the Camaro is offered with a traditional engine IN ADDITION to electric/hybrid options, then I will be happy.

We all know the Camaro won't be 'electric only' anytime soon. We don't have the infrastructure and being electric only would drive the price WAY up.
You must have missed GM’s announcement yesterday. Basically parody has been achieved with GM’s new battery technology.

$100 per KWHr is the transition point for parity and GM claims to have achieved it. This is a transformational achievement to say the least.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:32 PM   #48
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm all for a EV Performance / Sports car ... ... but don't call it a Camaro

Let the Camaro die in its glory of the pinnacle of combustion engines and its name be remembered with a thunder and a roar when you ignited the ignition... ...not a silent 'hum' into the night.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'm afraid you're ignoring the human side to this . . . it's much harder to change certain attitudes and preferences in people with more life experience than yourself than it is to suggest such a major change in the cars you want them (us) to drive. Or understand that change absolutely can mean that something might be taken away that you actively appreciate right now (especially when such MBA-speak buzz-words as "bold strategy" are used).

But most younger people can't fully understand that because it is unlikely that they have actually lived it personally. I was young once, too (these days, it's the grandkids who go to college).

Personally, I don't have a problem with the existence of EVs. But any insistence that all vehicles need to become EV - especially the sporty and overtly fun kind - is a whole 'nother matter. I don't think anybody could build enough performance into an EV Camaro to make me pick it over a 1SS/1LE. Or over the car in my sig, for that matter.

Sort of serious Camaro-specific question . . . would you really want an EV Camaro sports coupe/sports car/ponycar/muscle car to get most of its DNA from an SUV? Economies of scale might have things work out that way, so be careful what you wish for.

Norm
I haven't seen you around for a while Norm... Welcome back, your commentary is always appreciated.

Well stated. Good stuff. Very Platonic; Experience is the "mother of invention".

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Electric cars, to me, have yet to offer a soul, like many of the cars a lot of us like to enjoy. They don't yet have the sound, the smell, the feel, and all the rest that give cars personality. I don't want to hear some artificial engine noise through speakers when go to start my car in the morning. I smile every time it fires up and cackles away. The feel of the body shake as it idles, just teasing me to open the throttle.

Electric cars are tools for regular people who don't give a crap about cars, for the most part. I don't care if it's a Porsche or a Bolt, they are tools. Just because it's crazy fast doesn't give it personality. I hope things turn around for Camaro, and I hope the Pony and Challenger keep-up the competition, but electric doesn't interest me at all. That's why I've been saying this is the last of these kinds of cars...

JMHO...
Well stated sir.

The sensory experience, auditory sensation, sound, feel (not just thrust but a multi-sensory awareness).

If you have ever been buzzed by a jet fighter,(especially as a kid) you never forget it. Heck, I was buzzed by 2 F-22s last month, I'm not sure that I was any less stoked now, than I was as a kid. Full sensory overload.

In my personal experience, a ICE powered, high performance automobile creates an enveloping perceptual phenomenon. It's as if the stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to involuntary experiences in multiple sensory and/or cognitive pathways.

A year ago I took a ride with a friend with Tesla S. He introduced me to "ludicrous" mode. Although impressive, I walked away feeling a bit unsatisfied.

No sound, no smell, no feel....no guts, no soul.

My relationship with my machines are substantially more significant than 0-60.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #49
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
I can hear it now when the electric camaro comes out... People already asking now before you even start the car with combustion engines "Is that a V6 or a V8". Now it will be people going to ask "is it a Poot or a Fart" when it goes EV.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #50
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Commuters drive EVs and are more often than not absorbed in doing something other than driving when they get behind the wheel.

Those of us who identify as 'drivers' will never settle for an EV, they have no soul.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #51
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Commuters drive EVs and are more often than not absorbed in doing something other than driving when they get behind the wheel.

Those of us who identify as 'drivers' will never settle for an EV, they have no soul.
to that.

It's quite okay though, let people have their self-driving appliances, that's what most want anyway, and it in fact makes the road safer, the computer will drive these pods very consistently and predictably.

We just need to somehow make sure this offering doesn't become some centralized mandate that comes with outlawing everything else, which many delusional, self-ordained "redeemers" of the world love to fantasize about.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old 03-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #52
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
That Camaro in the video looks donk'd out...wheels are huge!
Old 03-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I haven't seen you around for a while Norm... Welcome back, your commentary is always appreciated.
Most days I do stop by, but it does seem that I don't get involved in quite as many different topics. For a while, I wasn't even getting emailed notices of replies to topics that I was subscribed to.

I think that He-Who-Must-Really-Miss-Al should spend a little time trying to understand that this isn't only about the car, or for that matter only about its potential performance capabilities. He's not yet seeing how well (or not) an EV is going to satisfy on the subjective side, where such satisfaction needs neither top bragging rights performance on the one hand nor ever-higher levels of refinement on the other. That it is possible to enjoy a car specifically because of things that other people might see as flaws. That having to physically do more while the car as a machine does less of it for you can be a good thing. Part of that 'soul' thing, I suspect.

But I may be asking too much here, being a guy who could have daily-driven a 5th gen Z/28 without batting an eye (while still considering that car to be more refined than necessary in certain respects, mainly in matters involving external mandates).

Norm
Old 03-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #54
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
If they come out with an electric camaro I definitely want one. This car can be a lot of fun.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #55
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Interior quality suffering? What's the competition doing thats leaving them behind in your mind? Besides the 18+ mustangs digital dash option the interior is pretty much the same as it was in 2015 when the s550 launched. Squeaks, rattles, and all.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #56

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
to that.

We just need to somehow make sure this offering doesn't become some centralized mandate that comes with outlawing everything else, which many delusional, self-ordained "redeemers" of the world love to fantasize about.
Good luck with that. The entire viability of EVs rely on the propagandized belief that ICE has no future. Why is that? Its because they say so! Better to just be an EV fan now instead of waiting until you have no choice. It's the politically correct way to see the automotive future. And most importantly it is what the Central Committee of Communist China is mandating. We just cant be left behind and dare to challenge that "market" for future profits.
The undercurrent and unsubstantiated rationale for EVs relies on the hang- your-head trendy tenet that ICE is "doomed". And for no good reason.

EVs are indeed the gateway for automotive dependence on technology and the govt to provide what the public is told they must want in the future.
Not to mention, EV styling is atrocious. Look at the new Mach e "Mustang".
Probably should expect about the same for an EV Camaro.

Just be a good sheep and head for the cliff. If you believe it is inevitable, then no worries.

Closed Thread