Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
18" rims on a 2016 SS

Question: will the 18" LS/LT rims fit on the SS model?

Reason being, on the C5's, we had the "roller skate" problem (vibration counterweights on the Brembos). To fit 18's, we had to go with aftermarket pads to fit. Any pics of the new C6 to see if we still have roller skates? (My guess is no, since it seemed to be a poor design back then that has hopefully been fixed.)

Any other information on offset and fitment? Will old C5 aftermarket rims fit on the new SS (and LS/LT, for that matter)?

Such a setup is primarily for us drag racers who want a little more sidewall, less weight, and wider choices for drag radials. Comments about the advisability of putting 18's on an SS for any other reason are irrelevant to my questions.

Main thing is I've still got my 18" TSW setup that worked so well on my C5, and if I get a C6, it would be nice to just be able to swap them out when I go drag racing.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
bdavies11

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'd like to know as well but for different reasons.

Personally I don't like the look of the 20" wheels. To me, it looks like those wheels belong on a truck. It makes the car sit too high or something. I'd prefer 18's or even 19's with low profile tires. I think the current Z/28 uses 19" and those wheels look to be the perfect size.

Wish we had a 19" option with low profile tires.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Look at how much smaller the rotors are. Unless there is some interference with suspension pieces I would think 18" would fit no problem. In fact I bet some aftermarket 16-17" will fit without issue.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Question: will the 18" LS/LT rims fit on the SS model?

Reason being, on the C5's, we had the "roller skate" problem (vibration counterweights on the Brembos). To fit 18's, we had to go with aftermarket pads to fit. Any pics of the new C6 to see if we still have roller skates? (My guess is no, since it seemed to be a poor design back then that has hopefully been fixed.)

Any other information on offset and fitment? Will old C5 aftermarket rims fit on the new SS (and LS/LT, for that matter)?

Such a setup is primarily for us drag racers who want a little more sidewall, less weight, and wider choices for drag radials. Comments about the advisability of putting 18's on an SS for any other reason are irrelevant to my questions.

Main thing is I've still got my 18" TSW setup that worked so well on my C5, and if I get a C6, it would be nice to just be able to swap them out when I go drag racing.

Padre
I'm interested in it as well for different reason:
I want to run 18 square setup for road course, and winter tire setups.
I've seen people clearing 18 inch wheels with 6 piston Brembos, so hopefully.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99
Look at how much smaller the rotors are. Unless there is some interference with suspension pieces I would think 18" would fit no problem. In fact I bet some aftermarket 16-17" will fit without issue.
I'm quite positive you won't be able to fit any 16"s on SS with those big calipers. If 17 will clear, I want to go with 17" winter tire setup, but I don't think they will fit either.
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
gs_M6

Drives: 2011 SS
I can only speak for clearance issues. I think they should fit, maybe even 17" they've gone down slightly on rotor and caliper overall size. 14" rotors and 5th gen calipers can be made to fit under some 17" wheels on a 4th gen, so considering they've downsized a bit, they should fit.
gs_M6 is offline   Reply With Quote