Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #43
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I agree, and it is a shame. The Z/28 badge has a long history with Camaro.

The only spot I could see for it would be to put the N/A LT1 in the ZLE chassis with the DSSV suspension. It would be parallel to what they do with Corvette, putting the LT1 in the Z06 Chassis. Price it a tick above the SS 1LE.

The only reason I see GM doing anything like this would be if they had an overrun of LT1 engines since the Corvette is no longer using them. Which I suspect had a little to do with the Gen 5 Z/28. But it seems they went the other way and put the LT1 in six banger chassis.
That would probably be the perfect gen 6 Z, if they can get away from it habing to be the top dog like the 5th gen car was that would be fine.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #44
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
In my opinion, the Z/28 stands alone. Lineup or whatever isn’t relevant.

It doesn’t matter now. It’s pretty clear to me that GM has abandoned the 6th gen, if not the Camaro as a whole.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #45
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerKB View Post
Sorry all. Never gonna happen. No money to be made and pony cars with V8's are not the future. I'd wager we'll see an electric Camaro like the Mustang SUV thingy before we ever see a Z/28. And they certainly aren't going to care that a bunch of forum people say they'll buy one.
I hope it's not a crossover. I might buy an electric car but I'm not buying a crossover until I get so old that I can't bend my legs anymore.

I don't think we're seeing a Z28 either, after the ZL1 1LE, GM said they were done and I believe them. No reason for them to lie about that.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #46
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That would probably be the perfect gen 6 Z, if they can get away from it habing to be the top dog like the 5th gen car was that would be fine.
Well, I wouldn't think that regardless of how the 5th gen was perceived that bringing back the badge isn't that big of a stretch. The Z/28 badge has appeared on every generation, with varying "meaning", from being something special to not really anything special about it.

In the 5th Gen, it was the introduction of the DSSV suspension and marketing the car as a "street legal race car", going so far as to make A/C optional equipment. The LS7 was an engine without a car at that point as the Corvette was now the Gen V small block.

So with the Gen 6, the only thing that really makes sense, if they really wanted to throw a Z/28 badge on something, would be this. ZLE chassis/suspension N/A motor, same treatment the 5th gen got, cut out the frills. Just don't price it out $10K over the ZL1. I really believe it was pricing that was the sales issue with the 5th gen.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #47
shaffe

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't think that regardless of how the 5th gen was perceived that bringing back the badge isn't that big of a stretch. The Z/28 badge has appeared on every generation, with varying "meaning", from being something special to not really anything special about it.

In the 5th Gen, it was the introduction of the DSSV suspension and marketing the car as a "street legal race car", going so far as to make A/C optional equipment. The LS7 was an engine without a car at that point as the Corvette was now the Gen V small block.

So with the Gen 6, the only thing that really makes sense, if they really wanted to throw a Z/28 badge on something, would be this. ZLE chassis/suspension N/A motor, same treatment the 5th gen got, cut out the frills. Just don't price it out $10K over the ZL1. I really believe it was pricing that was the sales issue with the 5th gen.
I think that makes it a tricky slope. I just don't know how having a top dog model of the previous gen show up in the next gen and just be middle tier.

Pricing was most definitely an issue. I think that is why we see the 350R and ZLE were offered with the full assortment of creature comforts.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 06-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #48
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Z28 is dead.... The ZLE is the Z 28.....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #49
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
how about an electric Z-28?only called the E-28...i keed,i keed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #50
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
When the 4th gen was around, the SS was above the Z28 in the model ladder. The 5th gen comes out and all V8 cars were called the SS. I think this diluted the SS name to some extent. Of course, GM has been doing this for years regarding the "SS" name.

If/when the 7th gen comes out, they should return to calling the V8 cars the Z28. And, the electrified high performance models can be called the E-28. Or, the Z-2E (Z twenty e).
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #51
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
No, the Z/28 should remain what it was supposed to be.

Look at the garbage that the C7 Z06 caused. Everyone is demanding the C8 Z06 to make more power or saying they will be unhappy if it makes less power.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #52
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No, the Z/28 should remain what it was supposed to be.

Look at the garbage that the C7 Z06 caused. Everyone is demanding the C8 Z06 to make more power or saying they will be unhappy if it makes less power.
Right. The Z/28 was originally a performance handling package brought to market so Chevy could win races. It was never about more power. Which is why I think putting the LT2 in the ZLE chassis would be the way to go, if they really wanted to do a Z/28. But, apparently the ZLE is so good on the track, the question would be, "why"?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #53
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
I think it's likely the Camaro will be discontinued soon and even if it isn't I think we're going to see the end of V8 Camaros because of CAFE. Almost all performance cars are turbos now and I think hybrid or electric is quite likely coming next.

I know this is going to upset a lot of people around here, but it looks like where we're headed. Buy a Camaro while they last.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #54
shaffe

Quote:
Right. The Z/28 was originally a performance handling package brought to market so Chevy could win races. It was never about more power. Which is why I think putting the LT2 in the ZLE chassis would be the way to go, if they really wanted to do a Z/28. But, apparently the ZLE is so good on the track, the question would be, "why"?
This + the 302 because that is what the rules at the time dictated.

IMO the 5th gen Z/28 + the 6th gen ZLE really put the nail in the coffin for the Z/28.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #55
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I honestly doubt that Chevrolet is investing any money in the 6th Gen Camaro anymore, so I don't think we will see a new Z/28.

There was a prototype spotted over 2 years ago and I think this is evidence that they had something in the development. But I think there are two big things that killed the 6th Gen Z/28:
  • The ZL1 1LE was too good. A Z/28 has to be even faster on tracks, but it is not that easy. They learned a lesson from the C7 ZR1, which from what I heard was really hard to handle on the limit on track that even pros are having are hard time to get the best results. So developing a Z/28 that outperforms the ZL1 1LE would not be simple and end up in an expansive car
  • Chevrolet added a gamechanger to the market: The C8 Corvette. It's clear that the C8 is offering a performance to price ratio that is insane. With a possible Z/28 surely reaching in $80k-90k territories, how many people will actually buy this car when the 2022 Z06 will obviously outperform it for a similiar price (and has a way better interior and more cargo space than the Camaro).
I guess everybody who is looking for a high performance Chevy will switch to the C8. For Ford and Dodge it makes sense to build cars like the GT500 or Demons, since they don't have higher models people could switch too. But for Chevrolet, I really don't see the point of a new Camaro Z/28.

Also pulling Al from the Camaro to their EVs was pretty much the end of further big investments in the Camaro.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #56
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Now if a Gen6 Z/28 went outside the box and had carbon fiber body panels with a slimmer, lower front end, and built in aerodynamics in the rear, plus a 600HP Corvette LT2, then it would be unique. If it used the plastic body panel process from the Corvette it's weight might drop two-hundred pounds to say 3425 lbs. With additional aerodynamics and added horsepower it could be a slick piece!
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote