Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Changing Brake pads

Hey guys, going to change the stock brake pads this week sometime because i'm sick of the brake dust. I've never changed pads on these cars yet. Watched a few videos but most were only SS models. I assume its pretty much the same for the 6 piston brembos.

Do i need any special tool to compress the pistons back to install the new pads or can you compress them easily with a flat tool etc. It looked like in the videos most people just pushed the old pads back against the piston and they compress easily.

Thanks
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Nothing special to change the pads needed. Pretty standard 6 pots. pot the pins, pull the pads out, push the pistons back in and insert new pads (will be tight fit) Make sure that they sent you the correct hardware/pads. I had two boxes of Z26 come with pads for a corvette and then replaced it with a rear set in a front set box...

I changed my pads to the Z26 STREET PERFORMANCE CARBON-FIBER CERAMIC BRAKE PADS for "low dust" and it was terrible FYI. I'll take the dust over lowered performance.

if your old pads still have meat on them, save them... you might want to switch back
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
Nothing special to change the pads needed. Pretty standard 6 pots. pot the pins, pull the pads out, push the pistons back in and insert new pads (will be tight fit) Make sure that they sent you the correct hardware/pads. I had two boxes of Z26 come with pads for a corvette and then replaced it with a rear set in a front set box...

I changed my pads to the Z26 STREET PERFORMANCE CARBON-FIBER CERAMIC BRAKE PADS for "low dust" and it was terrible FYI. I'll take the dust over lowered performance.

if your old pads still have meat on them, save them... you might want to switch back

Yeah i read some people say they are perfectly fine and some people say they dont stop well.... Im curious maybe if the ones with stopping issues maybe didnt rough up their rotors or buy new ones or bed the new powerstops properly? ( I don't track the car, just street use)
Old 11-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Yeah i read some people say they are perfectly fine and some people say they dont stop well.... Im curious maybe if the ones with stopping issues maybe didnt rough up their rotors or buy new ones or bed the new powerstops properly? ( I don't track the car, just street use)
Powerstop z26 work just fine for normal street driving, they just have less initial bite. # 1835 front, # 1053 rear.

The retaining pins just push out (I used a small punch + ball-peen hammer to lightly tap them out). The front calipers also have a bolt you must remove. Don't forget to transfer the metal plates on the back pads (or they'll squeak).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #5
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
If you old pads are worn to some degree the new ones will not slide in...you can use many tools to push the piston back a bit, I just use the old pads, move them halfway out and then angle them a pit to push the three pistons in just a bit so the new ones will fit...
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:54 AM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
nothing difficult. Loosen the master cylinder cap before pushing back the caliper pistons. Here is the order which works for me...use a punch and gently tap the top pin first just to release the pin tension and depress the top of the main tensioner with your fingers and pull the pin from the back. The entire tensioner can be released and removed now leaving the bridge bolt and lower pin. Loosen the 13mm bolt from the back side and remove bridge bolt the. tap the lower pin gently and remove it.

Depress the pistons with the old pad and screwdriver. You can squeeze the outer pad easily with your fingers first to give you space. Don't remove both old pads even though you can. Place the new outer pad once the pistons are retracted then repeat for the inner pad and replace all of the above stuff in reverse order. You can place the tensioner after the lower pin is reinstalled and bridge bolt. Make sure the tensioner is in the correct orientation with arrow up. Squeeze the tensioner over the bridge bolt and place the top pin then tap it making certain it is fully seated. Check how far the pins are seated by making a mental note of how far they protrude through the caliper before removing. Good luck and it is really easy.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
nothing difficult. Loosen the master cylinder cap before pushing back the caliper pistons. Here is the order which works for me...use a punch and gently tap the top pin first just to release the pin tension and depress the top of the main tensioner with your fingers and pull the pin from the back. The entire tensioner can be released and removed now leaving the bridge bolt and lower pin. Loosen the 13mm bolt from the back side and remove bridge bolt the. tap the lower pin gently and remove it.

Depress the pistons with the old pad and screwdriver. You can squeeze the outer pad easily with your fingers first to give you space. Don't remove both old pads even though you can. Place the new outer pad once the pistons are retracted then repeat for the inner pad and replace all of the above stuff in reverse order. You can place the tensioner after the lower pin is reinstalled and bridge bolt. Make sure the tensioner is in the correct orientation with arrow up. Squeeze the tensioner over the bridge bolt and place the top pin then tap it making certain it is fully seated. Check how far the pins are seated by making a mental note of how far they protrude through the caliper before removing. Good luck and it is really easy.

Nice write up! Saving for a spring pad change.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
These are by far the easiest pads I've ever changed. If you can take toast out of a 2-slot toaster oven, then you can change the pads.

@Stephen12ZL1 always has the best mech advice. Only thing I'll add is to not overtighten the bridge bolt. This is solid 1/4" socket wrench territory (put the breaker bar away, you won't be needing it here). I recall its less than 20ftlbs. Think oil drain plug equivalent tightness.

Finally, I usually seat the pins by sound. The *ping* changes note once they're fully seated.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #9
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post

Awesome thanks for detailed write up!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #10
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Same here
Everything is said
Just be careful with the bridge bolt (front center guide) which is weak
I switched back my OEM pads to track the beast (+1 for the initial bite compare to Z26)
And when I unscrewed this bolt it broke!
So recommend not to torque it super tight for the next time you want to switch...
Rest is ok and easy
Found a caliper hardware kit on Amazon to replace it:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-18K21...4819632&sr=8-4

This small bolt is really B.. S..

Last edited by Biscuit.fr; 11-08-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
Camaro1973

Great all set. Changed all 4, took like 2 hours in my driveway. Was a piece of cake.

Just a note to people that haven't done them before, the rear pins sit recessed inside the caliper a bit, simply tapping them back in wont seat them all the way. I used my punch on the inside to push them all the way through, the fronts you can tap in as the pin is thicker at the end and will stop, the rest of the instructions were spot on.

I sanded the rotors down with 80 grit, and broke them in per instructions. No more squeaking, breaking seems good. Ill see how dust is in a few days

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #12
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Same here
Everything is said
Just be careful with the bridge bolt (front center guide) which is weak
I switched back my OEM pads to track the beast (+1 for the initial bite compare to Z26)
And when I unscrewed this bolt it broke!
So recommend not to torque it super tight for the next time you want to switch...
Rest is ok and easy
Found a caliper hardware kit on Amazon to replace it:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-18K21...4819632&sr=8-4

This small bolt is really B.. S..
Good Amazon find. I ordered a spare hardware set tonight. Would hate to do a trackside swap and botch the brakes for a weekend. Thanks for the link.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:41 PM   #13
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Good Amazon find. I ordered a spare hardware set tonight. Would hate to do a trackside swap and botch the brakes for a weekend. Thanks for the link.
You’re welcome
👍
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Great write ups! Been wanting to replace my brake pads because mine squeak all the time (bought my ZLE used 2 months ago but pads look brand new). I know this has been talked about a lot but there are too many mixed reviews about different brands of pads. I want the performance of the OEM pads but with no squeaks and less brake dust also. Haven't been able to find them. I currently dont track the car yet but will do so in the future.