Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
goatjacket

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (sold: 2015, Z/28; 19 1LE)
Performance shift mode time-out

Searched a bit but couldn't find for certain: after entering PSM, what makes the A10 return to normal? Is it simply coming to a stop or is throttle % also a factor?
Activated it for the first time playing on some twisty roads over the weekend. I felt it engage and certainly the downshifts; but it seemed to revert after a minute or so...granted I was behind a slower car so had to calm down. Once slower car was out of the way I activated it again with no problem and then came up to a stop sign. Any way to keep it on for longer periods?
goatjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I'm sure someone can give you a better explanation but that feature is truly meant for the track. So unless you're on a back country, twisty road with no one for miles then it will stay activated as long as you're pushing the vehicle, hard or close to hard, like you would be on the track.

I don't know if any of the PTM modes would keep it activated 100% of the time. But the only way to keep it engaged like that is in manual then its on you.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
The owners manual doesn't say specifically what makes the car come out of PSM. Just a vague "after a short time at steady speed without high cornering loads".

You didn't ask, but you can force the car out of PSM by moving the shifter to manual mode, then back to auto.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
If you ease car should come back to D within 30’’
If you want to come back to normal asap,
Load the car, paddle switch ++++
Rpm will drop and car will switch to D shortly
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
I use PSM all the time....just throttle down real fast without even engaging acceleration. Then as long as you are driving somewhat aggressively it will stay on so brake and accelerate....sharp turn
..it will stay on. I keep it on allll the way to the grocery store every week....good times
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
goatjacket

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (sold: 2015, Z/28; 19 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I use PSM all the time....just throttle down real fast without even engaging acceleration. Then as long as you are driving somewhat aggressively it will stay on so brake and accelerate....sharp turn
..it will stay on. I keep it on allll the way to the grocery store every week....good times

It really does add even more excitement to the drive. Once I activated it, I was hooked and had to do it again!

thanks everyone for all the info.
goatjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatjacket View Post
It really does add even more excitement to the drive. Once I activated it, I was hooked and had to do it again!

thanks everyone for all the info.
Ya man ive been abusing PSM for about 2 1/2 years straight. It amazes me every time....i can engine brake with one foot and one hand? Dude as long as you are going 37mph you are good....if you are doing 50...get into PSM and leta rip or a roll race....
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
i forget where I read it, but once activated, if it doesn't sense any hard braking or turning, it will slowly upshift to the highest gear possible, then deactivate once there.

I know I can slam the gas and it will stay on the whole off ramp, but if I catch a green light, I'll be turning with it still on.

you can also deactivate it immediately by switching to manual mode and back

Last edited by crosive; 07-23-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: on ramp, off ramp, same difference
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
PSM throws me off guard every now and then. I'll step on it to pass someone or just because. Then as I'm slowing to a stop it's giving me demonic downshifts with all sorts of pops and burbles. It gives me a real "easy, easy girl" feeling haha! I love how it's always ready to go.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
You didn't ask, but you can force the car out of PSM by moving the shifter to manual mode, then back to auto.
Thank you for sharing this.
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
I had some kinda difficulties with the A 10 ... now I understand better... it’ s not easier to have a robot gestion under your foot...
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
PSM throws me off guard every now and then. I'll step on it to pass someone or just because. Then as I'm slowing to a stop it's giving me demonic downshifts with all sorts of pops and burbles. It gives me a real "easy, easy girl" feeling haha! I love how it's always ready to go.
haha same here. like whoaaa, we aren't racing right now, chill!
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote