Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #15
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Congrats on the new car. It is interesting that you say the visibility is an improvement over the Camaro, it looks to have a relatively high beltline and undersize rear quarter windows, seems pretty similar to the Camaro in that regard.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
I usually don't like Lexus but that's one nice looking car. Whatever makes you guys happy is all that matters. Congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #17
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
I test drove many cars during my buying process too (CTS-V, ATS-V, C7, S5, M3 and the RC F). For the price, nothing beat the 2SS. The RC F didn't feel as responsive and we really didn't like the interior. The only interior we like better than the Camaro was the Audi, but that car just wasn't that fun to drive.

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #18
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Great one for the wifey now buy the one for you!
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #19
kdu

Drives: Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Wait, I'm not even sure I follow the logic trail of OP's statement that if they were gonna spend the money on a 2SS (roughly $46K) they decided to just go full-boat up to an RC-F which base prices at $63K but after clicking a few worthy options you're easily at $70K. That's a $24K swing on a notion of "meh we've gone this far...".

That being written, on a purely car enthusiast level, RC-F would've been my last choice out of all of those...way too heavy compared to the competition and the motor is weak (as well as too peaky) for that price range. In my eyes, they built it to beat the E92 M3 but didn't consider that the paradigm would shift beyond what they were shooting for before it was too late.

In that loftier ($75K to $85K) price range I have it:
1. New Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe (it is incoming)
2. Cadillac ATS-V
3. BMW M4
4. Audi S5 (until they bring back the RS but even here you'd need to take it to Stage 2 which brings the total to about $70K all-in)
5. Lexus RC-F

It's pretty though, I'm on board there. Also Toyota/Lexus reliability is on-point. But if you have enough money to buy a car at that level you have enough money to afford the extended warranty. Hell, my current car is a level below that car and I was easily able to do extended warranty plus maintenance plan.
All good points, but here is a bit more context. The best price I could get on a 2SS I wanted was ~$44k. The M2 was right at $58k selling right at MSRP with a 4 month waiting list, the best price I was able to negotiate on $75k M4 was $68k. Price aside we had a 335i before and it was a reliability nightmare. The C63 and Audi SX i'm not a huge fan of at all for various reasons. My area didn't have many ATS-Vs and dealers didn't seem excited to negotiate at all. We got the RC F for ~$57.5k. It was brand new with 50 miles and has a MSRP sticker of $74k.

For the money that is a TON of car both literally and figuratively. I really care about performance so I agonized about the RC F's weight, etc. I read every review and watched every Youtube video on the RC F, the M4, SS. Then I drove all the cars multiple times. All three are very different, but all three a sh*t load of fun to drive. IMO opinion RC F gives up some performance to both the M4 and the SS, but is a better daily driver. Since I'm going to use it 90% as a daily and 10% as a track/autocross car I went with the Lexus. For those of you who wanted a track car first and a daily second the SS is clearly the best choice and value. That's not me and once I was honest with myself the decision was easier to make.

The price difference of less than $15k over the SS was worth it to me. I would have gotten the M4, but I frankly didn't like it enough to pay the premium over the Lexus. The reliability was also a consideration. My service experience with both BMW and GM hasn't been stellar. At this point in my life it's not just about getting the car fixed for free but the level of effort that is required.

Finally, I'm not trying to stir the pot posting my Lexus pictures in a Camaro forum. I'm a car enthusiast and I really like the Camaro and the Corvette. I'm going to end up owning one of them at some point. Just here to share my experience and opine about cars in general...
kdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
kdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Congrats on the new car. It is interesting that you say the visibility is an improvement over the Camaro, it looks to have a relatively high beltline and undersize rear quarter windows, seems pretty similar to the Camaro in that regard.
The Lexus and Chevy were next door part of the same dealer complex. We drove both cars within 30 minutes. RC F is without a doubt easier to see out of by a significant margin.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #21
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
Love everything about the RC F minus the wheels. Toyota wheels in general just seem to be lacking

The interior is above and beyond a Camaro, these ppl are insane if they think otherwise. Paint on a Lexus IS always top notch too

If I had the money I would buy one, wish they made a manual for it
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #22
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu View Post
All good points, but here is a bit more context. The best price I could get on a 2SS I wanted was ~$44k. The M2 was right at $58k selling right at MSRP with a 4 month waiting list, the best price I was able to negotiate on $75k M4 was $68k. Price aside we had a 335i before and it was a reliability nightmare. The C63 and Audi SX i'm not a huge fan of at all for various reasons. My area didn't have many ATS-Vs and dealers didn't seem excited to negotiate at all. We got the RC F for ~$57.5k. It was brand new with 50 miles and has a MSRP sticker of $74k.

For the money that is a TON of car both literally and figuratively. I really care about performance so I agonized about the RC F's weight, etc. I read every review and watched every Youtube video on the RC F, the M4, SS. Then I drove all the cars multiple times. All three are very different, but all three a sh*t load of fun to drive. IMO opinion RC F gives up some performance to both the M4 and the SS, but is a better daily driver. Since I'm going to use it 90% as a daily and 10% as a track/autocross car I went with the Lexus. For those of you who wanted a track car first and a daily second the SS is clearly the best choice and value. That's not me and once I was honest with myself the decision was easier to make.

The price difference of less than $15k over the SS was worth it to me. I would have gotten the M4, but I frankly didn't like it enough to pay the premium over the Lexus. The reliability was also a consideration. My service experience with both BMW and GM hasn't been stellar. At this point in my life it's not just about getting the car fixed for free but the level of effort that is required.

Finally, I'm not trying to stir the pot posting my Lexus pictures in a Camaro forum. I'm a car enthusiast and I really like the Camaro and the Corvette. I'm going to end up owning one of them at some point. Just here to share my experience and opine about cars in general...
Wow! I had no idea Lexus was letting them go for that kind of price.

Valid points all around but I think the value proposition to justify the $15K extra is in the eye of the beholder. Congrats on the new ride!
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #23
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I was behind one of these on the way to work, the rear end looks great.

How the hell did you negotiate it down so low though?
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
kdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
I was behind one of these on the way to work, the rear end looks great.

How the hell did you negotiate it down so low though?
It definitely took some doing. Lexus was offering back end cash on left over 2015s and I got lucky because there are four or five Lexus dealers in DC Metro so I was able to shop around until I got a great deal.

People on the CL forum are getting similar deals in certain markets. Hoping this isn't going to completely ruin resale values, but I'm keeping the car for a while so will worry about that later.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #25
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
It definitely took some doing. Lexus was offering back end cash on left over 2015s and I got lucky because there are four or five Lexus dealers in DC Metro so I was able to shop around until I got a great deal.

People on the CL forum are getting similar deals in certain markets. Hoping this isn't going to completely ruin resale values, but I'm keeping the car for a while so will worry about that later.
I don't think the RC-F was as welcomed with open arms as it could've been. If they had brought it out a year or two earlier, they'd have been OK but not right before the new M3/M4 hit as well as the C63 AMG and ATS-V.

It's sad because Toyota is as technologically advanced as any of the other big car manufacturers but they half-ass their performance car development or just straight give up altogether.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Congratulations on your new car! Should take some more pics show it off they are good looking cars!
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #27

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Name:  FT_17MY_004_JNA-1366X769_tcm97-241238_desktop_1366x769.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  95.8 KB

OP...Nice car. When I first saw the pic, it reminded me of this one...Pricey, but nice cars.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #28
G8rGrl

Drives: My Car
Quote:

Well stated! I'm not sure why some people in this thread have such nasty responses. Congratulations on getting a great deal on the RCF! Fun + reliability + peace of mind sounds like a good combination to me. Enjoy.
G8rGrl is offline   Reply With Quote