#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #29
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
All of these points argued are great, I pined for the Z/28's return in the 5th gen. We got sold out due to CAFE requirements, and GM made a huge mistake of making an awesome $75k CAMARO. Big mistake, and I hope if nothing else, they learned from that. Z/28 has its own name and following they almost sell just because of the badge but not for the price they thought they could get for it. They have to make the money on the 4&6 cyl cars and not price themselves out of the market for the hi-po V-8s. /rant
+1

$65k seems to be on the higher end of what people are willing to pay for the super pony cars.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Naturally aspirated isn't the only way to go for fast track times.....but it probably is the best. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
It really will be. This car is basically for the continental challenge, I dont see a supercharged engine being very desireable.

With the potential of this Z/28 being alot lighter than the 5th gen Z, I still think you will see the LT1 as the power plant with a power bump via intake and exhaust. If the car could get down in the 3400 lb area thats 400 lbs give or take a few than the 5th gen, itd murder it even with less power than the 505 hp the LS7 had.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #31
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I don't care how you generate power, as long as it is responsive, repeatable, and durable. In my experience, the cooling of S/C motors has greatly improved, especially when you are willing to mod a little bit to improve airflow which I don't see the ZL1 having a problem with. Heat soak is something I was concerned about with my current ZL1 but found it to be WAY OVER RATED from a concern perspective. I can run hot laps all day in the Florida summer with little to no power lose due to heat. I get tired before my motor does.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94turbolsx View Post
It really will be. This car is basically for the continental challenge, I dont see a supercharged engine being very desireable.

With the potential of this Z/28 being alot lighter than the 5th gen Z, I still think you will see the LT1 as the power plant with a power bump via intake and exhaust. If the car could get down in the 3400 lb area thats 400 lbs give or take a few than the 5th gen, itd murder it even with less power than the 505 hp the LS7 had.
3400 pounds would put it around the same weight as Z51 Stingray....I don't see any way they can get a V8 camaro to weigh as much as a Corvette
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #33
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
3400 pounds would put it around the same weight as Z51 Stingray....I don't see any way they can get a V8 camaro to weigh as much as a Corvette
I'm having trouble figuring that out too. CC brakes, 19' wheels, A/C and Radio delete, rear seat delete, sound deadening delete, mechanical light weight Recaros. Electric windows are now lighter than old mechanical windows so that doesn't matter. But then you have to add back the aero and what appears to be a large wing in the back. If they do all that, this will really be a track only car. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that it will make it unstreetable at all).
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #34
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I'm having trouble figuring that out too. CC brakes, 19' wheels, A/C and Radio delete, rear seat delete, sound deadening delete, mechanical light weight Recaros. Electric windows are now lighter than old mechanical windows so that doesn't matter. But then you have to add back the aero and what appears to be a large wing in the back. If they do all that, this will really be a track only car. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that it will make it unstreetable at all).
They won't delete the rear seats. They could have last gen and chose not to because they already offer the Corvette as a 2 seater.

GM has done some amazing things as far as lightening cars, but a V8 Camaro that weighs as much as Z51 Corvette might be stretching it IMO
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
They won't delete the rear seats. They could have last gen and chose not to because they already offer the Corvette as a 2 seater.

GM has done some amazing things as far as lightening cars, but a V8 Camaro that weighs as much as Z51 Corvette might be stretching it IMO
Look at it this way...a 4 cylinder turbo Camaro weighs about the same as a V8 Corvette. Anything added above that will increase weight...

By doing things such as lightweight CC rotors, lightweight shocks, thinner glass, no A/C compressor, just one speaker, a fixed rear seat, no sound insulation, and 19" wheels...they were only able to take about 80 lbs out of the chassis compared to a 1SS.

Today, the "2014 Z/28 method" would produce an SS that's just about 3600 lbs even.

IMO, 3400 lbs isn't going to happen unless you replace every body panel with carbon fiber, use CF wheels, CF driveshaft, polycarbonate "glass", hollow/hard racing seats, and an airbag delete. It can be done, physically...but if you thought $73,000 was a lot of money...
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #36
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
I'd be perfectly fine if they used the LS7 again. Less weight and better suspension on this Alpha platform will make this next potential Z a wonderful machine. The rumors are that the next Z/28 will be a 302 to point back to the legacy of the 68-69s

The only problem I see is redundancy at the higher levels of the Camaro with the emphasis on pushing a 1LE, ZL1 and the next Z/28.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #37
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If the Z/28 is n/a, I bet it will be something along the lines of the LS6. Better heads, hotter cam, better intake manifold. The LS6 saw a 15% increase over the LS1. That would put the LT6 at 530 hp.

That should keep development costs down as well. Put the extra money into the light weighting. Imagine a Z/28 making 530 hp, 480 tq and weighing 3600 lbs.
I am a big fan of this formula since a 7 liter next generation motor seems to be out of the question. If they could price it just under ZL1 cost that would be huge. Wouldn't have a problem with CC brakes as an option, kind of a Z07 package they could pair with more aggressive aero and a more serious set of tires. I would like to see them package it similar to the GT350 but the "base" Z/28 should come standard with all the cooling capabilities like the Mustang will. GM seems to understand that petty well though. They always seem to be able to surprise us with some cool technology that we won't expect. GT350R has the carbon fiber wheels, 1LE has the Electronic diff, ZL1 with the 10 speed automatic.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #38
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post
I'd be perfectly fine if they used the LS7 again. Less weight and better suspension on this Alpha platform will make this next potential Z a wonderful machine. The rumors are that the next Z/28 will be a 302 to point back to the legacy of the 68-69s

The only problem I see is redundancy at the higher levels of the Camaro with the emphasis on pushing a 1LE, ZL1 and the next Z/28.
I would love to see the 302 rumors gain some traction. Lots of heritage to capitalize on there. I remember reading about a LS1 based 302 fourth gen that GM built out of a CTF type car back in 2001. Maybe a 302 motor would be easier to meet emissions standards since the 427 was such a challenge. Make me one in hyper blue.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #39
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I am a big fan of this formula since a 7 liter next generation motor seems to be out of the question. If they could price it just under ZL1 cost that would be huge. Wouldn't have a problem with CC brakes as an option, kind of a Z07 package they could pair with more aggressive aero and a more serious set of tires. I would like to see them package it similar to the GT350 but the "base" Z/28 should come standard with all the cooling capabilities like the Mustang will. GM seems to understand that petty well though. They always seem to be able to surprise us with some cool technology that we won't expect. GT350R has the carbon fiber wheels, 1LE has the Electronic diff, ZL1 with the 10 speed automatic.
I don't expect them to have two version of the Z/28. That seems to be the Ford thing. I would rather have a single Z/28 but with the comfort stuff optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I would love to see the 302 rumors gain some traction. Lots of heritage to capitalize on there. I remember reading about a LS1 based 302 fourth gen that GM built out of a CTF type car back in 2001. Maybe a 302 motor would be easier to meet emissions standards since the 427 was such a challenge. Make me one in hyper blue.
A new 302 would be awesome but I would be surprised to see them get enough power out of an OHV 302. Ford had to go to a FPC and spin the crap out of it to make the power they needed. A OHV V8 won't support that kind of RPM, at least in a factory warrantied engine that has to meet emissions regulations.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #40
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
I think the consensus is a small(er) displacement, high rpm engine for the new Z/28. However I don't think they can get what they want without some type of FI, unfortunately.
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #41
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR3KC View Post

I would absolutely love for the LS7 to continue. Hands down my favorite GM motor of all time. Put it in a lighter car and I am all in....again.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #42
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Did not look if they where Autos or manual car's, it was Big Willow in Ca, temps where in the 80+ which for out there is cold, LOL but the all lift on a tow truck.
Was this last weekend (3/19-3/20)? I know two people at that track day. 1 had a water pump blow (it happens to most cars eventually) and the other had no cooling issues, he was running a DeWitts radiator and intercooler with a Halltech intake with no overheat warnings.
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote