Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #85
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Know what happens to people that expose conspiracies? Of course you don't.

Because they are never heard from again.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #86
ThaCamaroKid

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Some of you guys are making this WAY too complicated IMO. My opinion here is lengthy... but simple. Main point in red for those who are lazy

Seems pretty simple to me,

So to point out the obvious and existing already

Stingray - LT1
Grand Sport - LT1
Z06 - LT4

Camaro SS - LT1
Camaro SS 1LE - LT1
Camaro ZL1 - LT4

Cadillac CTSV - LT4

Right?

Okay...

We know for sure the new ZR1 is incoming, its been sighted, we still don't know enough about the rumored mid-engine "Zora" to really speculate when it will even or if it will even arrive.

So, that leaves 1 of 2 options for the LT5,

the "Z/28" is a track bred car, the "Z28" is not as track oriented, according to GM and their history.

based on the photos we've seen, it appears the speculated car is rocking 305-315's on the front, which would suggest "Z/28" and definitely nothing supercharged above 600hp and is the track bred version as the previous generation was. Other wise what in the world would be the appeal of the ZL1? + they won't make any Camaro pushing MORE than 650hp because they will not challenge their own Z06 in a straight line.

This would suggest the LT5 is 1 of 2 possibilities.

N/A 6.2-7.0L and high revving for the Z/28 specifically
or FI and 700hp+ for the ZR1 specifically

Because the Z/28 we've seen will NOT be 600+ to compete with the ZL1 in a straight line, and the ZR1 will NOT be less than 650 (the Grand Sport fills that gap)

Just because they are trade marking the name and we know the LT5 will be a new engine does not mean it will be in both the ZR1 AND the Z/28, because IMO it won't be.

375RWHP/399RWTQ
ThaCamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #87
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Question for you folks...

Why is it you assume the bottom end of the displacement range for a LT5 is 6.2L?

Just because the Gen 5 Z/28 was a 7.0 monster..doesn't mean that's the formula..GM's already shown it doesn't give a crap about "tradition" when they released the LT4 Z06.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #88
ThaCamaroKid

Sidenote:

Personally my favorite suggestion thus far is that of a 4.125 bore by 3.622 stroke 388CI 7,000-7,500 rpm high revving for the Z/28.

And the new (possibly TT) 700hp+ engine for the ZR1 will not even be an LT model engine at all.

But the 388CI high revving makes too much sense, so I doubt it will happen lol

But I still maintain the LT5 will not live in both the Z/28 and ZR1, it makes absolutely ZERO sense given the current models of the Corvette and Camaro we already know we have.

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 10-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #89
ThaCamaroKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

Why is it you assume the bottom end of the displacement range for a LT5 is 6.2L?

Just because the Gen 5 Z/28 was a 7.0 monster..doesn't mean that's the formula..GM's already shown it doesn't give a crap about "tradition" when they released the LT4 Z06.
If it is N/A it will most likely be 6.2L+, anything is possible but this is definitely the most likely case.

UNLESS it is mysteriously a revival of the DOHC which the old LT5 was but I highly doubt, and personally hope it isn't.

375RWHP/399RWTQ
Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #90
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

That shows Corvette doesn't care about tradition, and we can see how that turned out.

There is no point in going to a smaller displacement engine. The Voodoo is 5.2 liters because that's all they can get from the block. In order to make the necessary power, they had to spin the shit out of it. Is it an impressive engine? Absolutely, but I would rather GM go with enough displacement to make power in a lower RPM range.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #91
SpeedIsLife

Not saying it's going to be as small as the Voodoo..

I could see them dropping it down to say..5.7L and building the crap out it to handle tons of boost.

Not saying they are, or that I'm in favor of a smaller displacement mill..just saying that I don't think there is anything set in stone that 6.2L is the floor of the displacement range.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 AM   #92
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Picks is gone?.....lol....

"The jury will kindly disregard any statements by Picks as inadmissible and lend them no credence".....

He seemed harmless....probably bs, but harmless....
Picks? Who's Picks? Never heard of him.

Really, not sure who he was, but I think I found his last post...

""
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #93
Bhobbs

Quote:
Not saying it's going to be as small as the Voodoo..

I could see them dropping it down to say..5.7L and building the crap out it to handle tons of boost.

Not saying they are, or that I'm in favor of a smaller displacement mill..just saying that I don't think there is anything set in stone that 6.2L is the floor of the displacement range.
If they go with boost, displacement isn't as important but if they go n/a, which I hope they do, then displacement is important.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #94
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If they go with boost, displacement isn't as important but if they go n/a, which I hope they do, then displacement is important.
Oh I know...I just suspect any car going into a ZR1 or whatever it is..is going to be FI to compete with European rivals.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #95
Bhobbs

Quote:
Oh I know...I just suspect any car going into a ZR1 or whatever it is..is going to be FI to compete with European rivals.
I meant for the Z/28.

For the ZR1, I hope they go twin turbo.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #96
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
For sure not, but I just guess I don't understand using Z28 and Z/28 to mean two different cars.
They really don't. When the slash went away it was a stylistic choice, not a statement that the car had deviated from it's roots. The 3rd and 4th gen Z28s were the "base" V8 cars. They made a million of them. With the 5th gen they used the slash to signify the car returning to its roots. It is a happy coincidence that the slash went away around the time the Z28 became the mass produced V8 in the lineup.

As others have stated, they haven't had a generation yet that didn't include the Z28 in some form. I don't think the 6th gen will be the first. The name just has too much value. What wouldn't surprise me (and what I hope) is if the 6th gen Z/28 comes in at a much more achievable price point. The 5th gen was a great car, but they made to many of them at to high of a price point. They either need to offer limited production or bring the price closer to the GT350R (which would put it in competition with the ZL1).
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #97
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
They either need to offer limited production or bring the price closer to the GT350R (which would put it in competition with the ZL1).
I think the new z/28 should be at the exact price point of the ZL1. That way you can either pick the luxury hipo GT car or the track monster and not break the bank or have to be a millionaire.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #98
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There is a cheap Z/28, the SS/1LE
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote