Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
what did the gt4r use? pretty sure it was the brembo race kit
Yep, brembos

https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-...-now-for-sale/
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #73
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Question for those switching to the AP's...who's willing to sell me their front take-offs before I push these measly SS 4-pots too far!?!? I missed out on the awesome "iwk2much" set. Recently found out my TT-competition will be running AP's and Pirelli slicks! I'm going to need all the help I can get.
"Macaro"??, you're kinda close ...Seriously, please someone PM me with an offer I can't refuse. Thanks!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #74
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Question for those switching to the AP's...who's willing to sell me their front take-offs before I push these measly SS 4-pots too far!?!? I missed out on the awesome "iwk2much" set. Recently found out my TT-competition will be running AP's and Pirelli slicks! I'm going to need all the help I can get.
"Macaro"??, you're kinda close ...Seriously, please someone PM me with an offer I can't refuse. Thanks!

just do the zzp bbk upgrade kit its the best bang for your buck i have it on my ss
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #75
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
just do the zzp bbk upgrade kit its the best bang for your buck i have it on my ss
Yeah I've seen that kit/option thrown around, but I'll try and see where this gets me...

Quote:
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 06-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #76
Johnkout1

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyardspecial View Post
Curious what fluids and pads you were running on the OEM setup, Ive never got them to fade even in hot Florida summer.
I have 2 rears I’ll sell you
Johnkout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #77
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Okay then, this is just gonna hurt a little I guess...
Old 07-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #78
TMR

Drives: Huracan, ACR Viper, ZL1 1LE, GT3 ++
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Would agree completely......even with the 372's having a smaller swept area than the oems, major upgrade in braking performance and zero fade.

I use the 3.12 compound and Ferodo fluid. Highly recommend the 9668 front set (Enduro pads).

This made the brakes as great as the rest of the car!
Red that had to of been you I was racing at road America! I was in the black 1le. We talked by your car.
996 GT3
G4 ACR Viper
TMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #79
itsplynch

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Hi all! Reviving an sold thread here.

I just came across an Essex 372 kit for my 17 1LE. Currently running 2:25s at Sebring, regularly @ homestead in the Miami heat in the 30s on the road course config- ducting kit, endless fluid and apex 19 apex square on a 3R. I like the current calipers on a st47 but I don’t LOVE. Do you all feel this would be a solid upgrade that wouldn’t overwhelm the tire/setup? Thanks!
itsplynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:24 AM   #80
LSA

Drives: Fast
Can anyone confirm the weight loss with the AP Front 390 kit?

The Essex website says 24#… is this correct?
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:16 PM   #81
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Nothing on this green earth would make me get rid of Brembos. The Pads & Fluid are the weak-point not the rotors & calipers
2021 Hellcat Widebody (Stolen)
2023 (Kia Stinger GT2 (daily)
2022 ZLE (Delivered 05-13-2022)
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #82
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Although I would love to purchase the Essex AP brake kit, 10K is just too high a price for me. My plan is to purchase the front and rear caliper rebuild kit for the ZL1 from RB, which has the stainless steel ventilated pistons and high temp dust boots and seals. The front and rear kits combined should cost about $1,000 and a local race shop thought the cost for the rebuild would be about $1,000. Hopefully, the upgraded internals along with Castrol SRF, titanium brake shims, braided steel brake lines and the brake ducts from the Cadillac Blackwing will help with brake fade. I run the stock rotors, GY 3R tires and Hawk DTC-70 front and rear.
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #83
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
A word of caution...

When you mess with brakes you're asking for trouble. I have quite a bit of insight into what goes into the calibration of the braking system, and I'm telling you guys, be careful. You will quickly create more problems than you will solve by using aftermarket brake kits. Essex simply throws AP Racing kits together. Their engineering isn't the greatest, and I know from first-hand experience their kits can and do cause issues on the Camaro.

I purchased the original 390mm kit (plus the rear kit) for the Camaro with DS1.11 pads. Prior to that I was running stock calipers and rotors with the DS1.11 pads. Comparing the data between the two, the initial bite (decel) was better with the AP kit, but almost immediately after the initial bite the decel on the stock brakes would outperform the AP brakes. In the data I found that I was braking later and had better overall stopping power with the stock brakes. (When you think about what's going on with the heat and the mass difference between the two, it becomes obvious that this will be the result.) Sure, there is a weight difference, but I'll take better brakes that can handle more heat any day of the week. Imagine for a moment that the AP brake kit was stock and then you paid $11k+ for the Brembo kit. As you install the big and heavy Brembo brake kit, you'd likely be proud of how much more braking power you'll have and how much more heat it can handle.

I sent the data to ESSEX along with pictures of the pads, rings, etc., and to their credit, they responded by updating the 390mm kit to one that uses heavier rings and thicker pads. One new problem is they don't offer the new pads in anything but the DS3.12 compound, which I have found to not work as well on the Camaro as the DS1.11.

Thankfully, ESSEX did allow me to return the kit I had purchased. I returned my car to stock brakes, but since then I have driven a friend's ZL1 1LE with the revised AP Racing 390mm kit. Unfortunately, I don't have data from this car, but I still was not impressed. I drive in Sport 1 which the computer uses the brakes for stability control. With aftermarket brakes, this simply no longer works correctly. The stability is much worse. After driving this ZL1 1LE then returning to my car with stock brakes, my decision to go back to stock brakes was completely validated.

One positive of the AP kit is the brake pedal travel is greatly reduced. The downside is, the software expects to see more travel when braking hard. If you have the A10, this can lead to the transmission exiting performance shift mode in braking zones. A friend of mine actually had this issue and it took a lot of work by the GM engineers to finally figure out the aftermarket brake kit was the issue. The automatic transmissions have fault detection that compares the brake pedal position with expected max decel rates, etc. When the observed sensor values fall outside of the expected range, the software then assumes there is a transmission issue (possibly causing the rear wheels to drag). The response is to exit performance shift mode, shift into neutral, and then after a brief pause, retry. Keep in mind, it's not that the brakes are exceeding the decel of the stock brakes. It's the difference in brake pedal travel that's at the root of the issue. The AP kit pedal travel is reduced and at lower pedal travel, the allowed rates of decel before the transmission faults is also lower. Ideally, this software check would be pressure-based, but it isn't. It's based on pedal position. When you use brakes not designed with the car, this is the type of gremlins you can expect.

Not to sh*t in anyone's Cheerios here, but I challenge you guys singing the praises of this AP kit to do an actual A->B test vs stock hardware. I think you'll be surprised at the data. Unfortunately, most guys declare success anytime they spend money because it's hard to admit sometimes that spending $11k+ was a mistake. Mentally, you might even think it's better. I bet the braking performance data tells a different story though.

I see someone mentioned the Racing Brake stainless vented piston kit. If anyone goes down this road, compare the piston diameters with a caliper before installing. It took 3 attempts for the folks at Racing Brake to send pistons that were within normal tolerances. In the end, I really don't know that it was worth the hassle for the pistons. I would assume they are better, but the difference in fade, pad life, etc. wasn't perceptible. I do however really like their high temperature dust boots. Those have held up nicely compared to the OEM boots.

My advice is to be happy with the stock brakes. They work amazingly well and are engineered to work correctly with the ABS, ESC, transmission fault detection, etc.. If you absolutely have to upgrade, get the air deflectors from the CT5-V Blackwing. Those help tremendously. For brake pads, do yourself a favor and use DS1.11 front and rear. They are a very close compound to the HP1000 so the electronics stay happy and you get improved brake performance and pad life.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #84
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
nice write up, Travis
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote