Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-30-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
gregf

Drives: 2014 2LS
2014 Rear LED Install

Thank you for all your contributions to the forum!

2014 LS, installing LED‘s and load resistors for the 4 rear taillights and eliminate hyperflash issue.

There are four wires that connect into the 2 tail light assemblies.

Both of them have a black wire for ground and light green wire on the outside.

From looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the light green wires are both for the back up lamps.

The other four wires would be for the tail lamps.

The correct installation of the Load resistors would be to install 2 of them from the ground wire to each of those other 2 wires on both sides?

Thank you very much for your replies!
Best regards,
Greg
Attached Images

gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
gregf

Bump
Old 01-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
gregf

I figured this out. To do a direct replacement of the rear brake lights with LED's you need a 6 Ohm/50W resistor per bulb. Since the tail lights are in series, you need to install 2 resistors on each circuit.
There are 4 wires from the main harness that connect into each tail light assy which has it's own mini-harness to the bulbs.
There's a ground wire, 2 wires are for brake/turn signal and one is for the backup light.
The electrical diagram in the Haynes manual is incorrect/wrong. The colors didn't match up.
What I did was use my test lamp on each leg of the main harness. Detach it from the tail light assy connector. My test lamp has alligator clips, I inserted paper clips into the ground contact and then into one of the other 3 contacts on the main harness. When you flip on the turn signal, the wire that results in a flashing test lamp is the turn signal circuit, install the resistors in parallel on that circuit.
On our 2014, that was the first wire adjacent to the black ground wire.
Solder or use a splice to connect one leg of the resistor to the black ground wire and then the other leg to the turn signal circuit wire.

If you only install 1 6 ohm/50W resistor it will still hyperflash because the BCM will think one of the bulbs is dead.

Let me know if I can help you out.

Tags
led, led install problems, tail light