Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #29
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
Was that a Chevy dealership mechanic? Because if it was, that is a little eye-opening. You’d think that if any mechanic knew that the Camaro takes 10 qts it would be one that works for the Chevy dealership.
Mechanics at the Chevy Dealer I had my first "free" oil change at seemed to think 8 quarts was enough......so not so surprising at all really. When I mentioned it they first had to go verify and then went "oh, yea" LOL!!!!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #30
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Yes it was a Chevrolet dealership mechanic. Scary but problem solved and I change my own oil now
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Mechanics at the Chevy Dealer I had my first "free" oil change at seemed to think 8 quarts was enough......so not so surprising at all really. When I mentioned it they first had to go verify and then went "oh, yea" LOL!!!!
Unless a "Chevy dealer" sells and services a lot of performance vehicles, their level of knowledge is just not going to be there. Even though my local dealership sells a lot of Corvettes, especially for their [small] size, they just don't know.

I was actually just at my dealership to ask what oil they are using for the oil changes on the Camaro's. While the guy being the parts counter pulled out the Mobil 1 ESP oil, he stated "it's required for the Corvettes" and offered no specific insight about its use in the Camaro. There was a tech behind the counter that asked "what does it say on the cap?" as if that's all that mattered. When I repeatedly reminded them of the use of 5W-30 dexos1 being stated as minimum requirements for street use, they just had blank stares.

Before I have them do ANY service to my car, I will ask to speak to the tech that will be doing the work and ask THEM. Any hesitation on their part and it will be a no-go and they won't touch the car. I will also be there when it goes up on the lift to ensure that they don't screw THAT up. lol

In all seriousness, I've always had a really good experience with any of my maintenance or warranty work with them and the techs are always willing to answer a question or two if need be. I expect that they will continue this with the Camaro without any issue.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #32
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
This is why I have a extended power train warranty on my car now. Except the mechanic did not know and my car only got 6 quarts and drove it 4 hours to Atlanta before the low oil light came on when I parked it on an incline on my friends driveway. Called the dealership on their mistake and got a certified letter from GM extending the warranty
I bought an extended warranty when I got the car and always check my oil before I leave the dealer lot. I didn't know they only charged me for 6qts until I got home.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #33
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Yeh...one of the top 10 biggest Corvette dealers in the US. Luckily the Mechanic knew. The Service guy writing the ticket either didn't know or he just forgot since most cars take 6 qts.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote