Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Project trunk lighting completed

As anyone with a convertible knows GM really dropped the ball with the trunk lighting. they give you one tiny light which is then hidden behind the rigid divider piece leaving you with zero light. Even with the divider down the lighting wasn't good.

I decided to add 2 12" white LED strips to my trunk. Wiring was easy, just spliced into the OEM wiring so I wouldn't have to come up with a new switch.

Way better, can now see everything in my trunk. The cord for my trickle charger and trunk net holding the grey shirt was barely visible before, now they are clearly seen.

Here are the before and after pics:
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Nice job. Where did you splice into the stock wiring?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Nice job. Where did you splice into the stock wiring?
Just followed the wire out of the oem light and spliced into it about a foot away, the oem wiring is only 2 wires so easy to work with
Old 03-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
As anyone with a convertible knows GM really dropped the ball with the trunk lighting. they give you one tiny light which is then hidden behind the rigid divider piece leaving you with zero light. Even with the divider down the lighting wasn't good.

I decided to add 2 12" white LED strips to my trunk. Wiring was easy, just spliced into the OEM wiring so I wouldn't have to come up with a new switch.

Way better, can now see everything in my trunk. The cord for my trickle charger and trunk net holding the grey shirt was barely visible before, now they are clearly seen.

Here are the before and after pics:
Good job and result.

Like you, I didn't find the trunk lighting adequate.

First, I replaced the stock incandescent bulb with a downward firing LED bulb, which really brightened up the truck area, until I raised the partition.

So, I installed two flush mount bolt LEDs into the carpeted panels that cover the tail lights (one LED light on each side, facing downward) and spliced the wiring into the OEM wiring harness.

--KLG--
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.

Last edited by KLG; 03-13-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote