Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #43
mitdr774

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
totally wrong, you need to look up how a DCT works. It is a manual transmission. All that would be required is to make a system for the driver to manually control the clutch and gear selection. It's not an insurmountable engineering problem by any means.

I see no practical way to make a DCT into a proper manually operated transmission. A simpler solution would be to just use a proper manual transmission and clutch.
mitdr774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #44
Mark19

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
So now instead of rowing...you paddle...like a duck.
Ha. Well played, sir.
Mark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #45
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Well - don't sell yourself short! I'm 64 and I still prefer a manual for my fun car and I can shift just as well as when I was 16.

I also agree with your comments about driving experience. I prefer the driving experience with a manual. We are a dying breed.
Rest assured that if you enjoy shifting now, you'll still like it in your 50's. I'm 60 and even my Mazda commuter car is a stick. I'm still kicking myself for selling my 6spd manual Dodge Cummins
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #46
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
No such thing as a 67 RR.
Oh sorry it was a 70. Confused with my buddies 67 Belvedere.

Not a mopar guy
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #47
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Oh sorry it was a 70. Confused with my buddies 67 Belvedere.

Not a mopar guy

69 and 70' RR are bad ass. Never liked the 68 grill and taillights and trunk crease.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #48
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
That article and the patent it references is over a year old, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you....
Not to mention motorauth is about the biggest clickbait auto site out there..
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #49
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Why a manual??? Maybe so you can do this.....

That alone is worth 2/10ths of an ET, especially if you are never takintg your car to track anyway in which 90% wont be.

That drive put a smile on my face and I'm not even the one shifting.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #50
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
totally wrong, you need to look up how a DCT works. It is a manual transmission. All that would be required is to make a system for the driver to manually control the clutch and gear selection. It's not an insurmountable engineering problem by any means.
I am well aware of how a DCT works, and I'm not wrong at all - I'm just not drunk on the dual clutch fanboy Kool Aid that some defensive Porsche owners started years ago. In a manual - a REAL manual - the acts of disengaging the clutch, changing gear selection, and re-engaging the clutch are all deliberate physical acts by the driver. The only algorithm involved is in the driver's head, and you can fool around with car's modes all you want, but if you let the engine's revs drop too low it will stall, or if too high the engine speed will stay there until you run out of gas, and the car's speed will increase no further. Gears can be directly selected and ones between them skipped entirely at the driver's discretion, as well - if you're not careful, even leading to stalling the engine if you go too high a gear with too low a starting RPM, or the reverse leading to the dreaded "money shift."

A DCT does all this - including avoiding some of the extreme hazards of shifting - for you, either all of it, or just some of it in a "manual" mode and even then it only lets you DIY up to a point. In a word, it does it AUTOMATICally.

There may well be an engineering solution to entirely eliminate the electronics and allow a DCT car's driver to physically pre-engage the clutch for their next gear then disengage the other clutch for their current gear without it being just exchanging one game controller electronic button on a steering wheel paddle for another game controller electronic button on a simulated clutch pedal (or two?) on the floor, but this would likely be massively confusing, slow to operate even compared to a traditional manual transmission, and defeat the purpose of a DCT in the first place (extremely fast shifts). Plus it would be totally not economical to do all that just so all five people who INSIST a DCT is a manual transmission can have their "see, I told you so!" moment - and then not buy that version of a DCT because even they really want the lightning fast shifts that only a DCT automatic can provide.I

If you're shifting with buttons, you've got an automatic, no matter how the internals to the transmission achieve the gear changes.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote