Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
2016 Camaro Guide: How to Paint Brake Calipers - G2 Brake Caliper Paint System

I talked about this kit on my last car, but this time I did a not so quick guide on how to install the G2 kit. Hope this helps people on the fence. It's really easy to install, but is time consuming.... 100% worth the time and effort.

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 05-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Looks great Sledge! I've also used the G2 Caliper paint, I think four times now. One time, in extremely high humidity, it didn't turn out great, but the other times it was amazing. It's hard to believe it lays down so well for a brush on paint.

Did you consider applying decals to the brakes? These are eBay specials but really pop. On the smaller rear calipers, I had to cut off the B symbol and only have Brembo. I also painted the center rotor hats black too.

2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Anyone know how this color red compares with the factory 6 piston red?
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Thanks for the vid Sledge

Do they make "CAMARO Brembo" decals that look like the factory ones?

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
Looks great Sledge! I've also used the G2 Caliper paint, I think four times now. One time, in extremely high humidity, it didn't turn out great, but the other times it was amazing. It's hard to believe it lays down so well for a brush on paint.

Did you consider applying decals to the brakes? These are eBay specials but really pop. On the smaller rear calipers, I had to cut off the B symbol and only have Brembo. I also painted the center rotor hats black too.

I have decals, but the paint was wet and I needed to get the wheels back on. Will be putting them on. I am doing Camaro with a smaller offset Brembo logo.

My MRR FS01's cover the hats pretty well, so I bypassed that work for now.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
Anyone know how this color red compares with the factory 6 piston red?
It almost matches perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Thanks for the vid Sledge

Do they make "CAMARO Brembo" decals that look like the factory ones?
The do on Ebay, like $7-$10 I have them, just didn't put them on yet.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
brutusvk

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
Awesome. Thanks.
To be honest, you can't even tell the different side by side. Was next to a C7 Z06 and another 6th gen with the 6 pistons and they looked the same.Just mine lacks the logo's for now.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
brutusvk

This has been an annoyance for a long time. So I was waiting to hear how they looked next to each other. I appreciate the info.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
sixbrx

Drives: 1SS Hyper Blue
I'm wondering about the little holes with metal tip just poking through - not sure what they are and whether to avoid sealing the hole with the (rather thick) paint?

Attached Images

sixbrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #11
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbrx View Post
I'm wondering about the little holes with metal tip just poking through - not sure what they are and whether to avoid sealing the hole with the (rather thick) paint?

Those are the tips of the pins / retainer pins that hold the spring loaded retention clip. These slide between the backing plates and are normally tapped out when you finally change your pads. I have always painted those as just the tip will get coated. the rest will vibrate free if they get locked in place at all by the paint.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbrx View Post

yeah, I wouldn't worry about "sealing it" at all... it might take a little harder tapping with a punch/hammer when changing pads due to the paint but I doubt it would make much of a difference. I would expect maybe some light chipping of the paint around it as you tap/remove the pins, both here and on the inside caliper. maybe you could do it without chipping...
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #13
sixbrx

Drives: 1SS Hyper Blue
Ok good to know, nothing to worry about. Thanks guys for the comments and Sledgehammer70 for the video, I probably wouldn't have done it without the video.
sixbrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #14
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I watched the video and it's very helpful from an instructional perspective if you decide to buy this kit. Yes, red brakes definitely catch your eye and have become sort of a status symbol / trend lately. Red might look good but it doesn't make you go faster or stop quicker. I've been looking into doing this for a while now, but a couple things are holding me back.

First of all, I've always harbored disdain for the BMW owners that bought the "M" package for the regular 3 series, or similarly the MB owners running around with AMG badges they got for spending a few extra bucks for an upgrade package on a regular MB that isn't a true AMG car. Sure, they might come that way from the factory, but everyone knows they're not real M or AMG cars. I'm a firm believer that only the real thing should get to wear the badge. The same can be said for re-painted red calipers (caliper covers are even worse). Everyone knows the stock 4 piston Brembo brakes on the Camaro are NOT red, so there's that whole aspect of this left for me to consider and I'm having a very hard time deciding if I should do this. We have real Brembo brakes already and they honestly don't look bad at all.

My second thought on this is - suppose you've made up your mind that you want a different color caliper than stock. As gen6 owners, we're driving around $50k cars. if we really want our new Camaros to look like a $50k car over the long haul, shouldn't we just spend a few extra bucks to get them powder coated in the color we want? It'll hold up a lot better (especially if you plan on driving your car on the track) over the long haul. True, it'll be more expensive (usually $500-$600), but somehow I doubt that GM threw on a cheap $50 upgrade kit on them originally. They might not be red now, but I have a feeling that my original finish will outlast this all-in-one kit that doesn't even come primer or clear coat.

I know a lot of people won't agree with this, but I don't want my car to look like a high school kid's tricked out civic or an idiot with 6 pistons up front, Forgeline wheels, Pilot Super Sport tires, and a set of rear calipers that doesn't exactly match the front or starts to chip down the road.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote