Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
SSX Rear Bowtie Problem: Vendor Input Requested.

So I am halfway on finishing up with my front and rear SSX bowtie conversion for my 2010, however I ran into a sang on the rear.

The front was no problem to remove, cut, paint and so on, but the rear though I just found out that there are two guiding holes behind the rear bowtie once it is removed.
Now some of you may say what's the problem if you are just painting the bowtie and putting it back on? Well I am hollowing out the bowtie to look like this:

When I remove the bowtie, what I will be getting on the rear panel is this:

So if I put on my cut and painted red bowtie, I will have two exxposed holes inside that I really do not wish to be showing. So what I am asking is what would you guys, vendors and members, suggest I should do to cover it up? I have a couple of ideas but I am seeing which would be the best way to take it and most durable to last car washes and such. Thank You everyone.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Take it to a body shop. Fill them, spray it, carry on.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yea, the early 2010's have the alignment holes unfortunately. You could also black out the center with some vinyl
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Yea, the early 2010's have the alignment holes unfortunately. You could also black out the center with some vinyl
this

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Yeah I was thinking about the vinyl, but have concerns that they will still show through it with the edges of the holes.

Body shop for me unfortunately is not an option due to very tight funds. I am thinking of two other things and would like to know what you folks think?

1.) Get one of those magnetic strips ive seen used to black out the rear panel between the tail lights and either find it in gloss black or paint it and put it inside. The raised edges wont show as the bowtie would cover them.
2.) Find thin plastic and cut em in half to match the angle of the rear. Paint it gloss black and glue it on then put the bowtie over and around it.

Last edited by Char1ieone; 09-18-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
If it were I and money were tight, I would try some sort of either bondo or some other putty and fill the holes. Then, as I already have done, hit up a sign shop for some black vinyl and cut the size of the piece you need and put it in place. Then put your SSX bowtie on.

Additionally, a thick plastic traced to the same size as the inside of your bowtie and epoxied in place would work as well. I would find a piece already black though.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
I'd try a find something for the middle for the middle of the bowtie, as mentioned previouslly. It'll blend in with the car and still look really good.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Thank goodness that I didn't get a metallic paint color as trying to replicate one of those particular colors would be a tad bit more difficult than basic Gloss Black.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
If you haven't already hollowed out the bowtie, I would paint the center of it the same color as your car. You will get close the same effect you are going for and won't be able to see the holes.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

So while taking a closer look at the rear bowtie from some good quality photos that were taken, I have noticed something that helps me in my decision in my approach to cover the placement holes.

If you look at the photos you can see that there are two distinctive edges that go down the center of the rear desck, which suggests that the bowtie isn't just an outline but it also contains a black center piece that makes the rear bowtie a solid emblem.

So with this I now know that I am going to need to get a plastic panel and cut it into two pieces that match the outline of the rear bowtie and then glue them together to create the center edge. Once I am done with that, get some thick primer to get rid of the break between the two cut pieces and finally paint it Black. That should then allow me to glue the red bowtie outline and center piece together to have one solid rear emblem and in final, cover up the two damn holes! ...whew!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
It isnt an outline at all. If you pop the gold center out of a normal bowtie, it will look like what you have there, there is still plastic where the gold piece mounts to.

You can tell by looking at the back, its a flat solid piece on the back, but the front is two piece.

So pop the gold out, sand it, paint it, and it will look like what you have in that picture, the holes will still be covered up/utilized.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Success folks! I finally finished both the front and rear bowties after recieving the delete part from Drake and boy let me tell you ...IT LOOKS DAMN GOOD IMO!!! I'll post pics and a DYI in a few.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie