Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #15
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Following this thread. I've been carrying my MTB inside the the trunk with the wheels removed and back seat folded down. It's a medium frame 27.5" hardtail with dropper seat post so it's pretty easy to break down and reassemble when I get to my destination. However, I eventually plan to go 29er FS eMTB and those are just bigger, heavier bikes that don't lend themselves easily to such disassembly. I was pretty much sold on SeasSucker until I saw the issue with the paint and also possible risk of damage to the aluminum roof. Not to mention rocks and dirt falling off the bike on the car the entire way home.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I have an alternate rig and hitch rack for the bike, but if I ever cave in and decide I need to really enjoy the good driving roads leading to the trailhead I would get the Leroy Engineering hitch to use with my hitch rack since you can remove the receiver which is ugly and I would also be concerned about contacting the ground on a steep driveway.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
I have an alternate rig and hitch rack for the bike, but if I ever cave in and decide I need to really enjoy the good driving roads leading to the trailhead I would get the Leroy Engineering hitch to use with my hitch rack since you can remove the receiver which is ugly and I would also be concerned about contacting the ground on a steep driveway.
The car will comfortably hit over .9gs with 2 bikes, a passenger and gear.

And cruising on the highway is effortless, you don't notice the bikes much.

I use my hitch 1-3x per week or so, but could see getting the hidden option for more occasional use.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #18
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
The hitch isn't low on the stock Camaro receiver, I also have a hyundai and that is WAY lower and it scrapes much easier. Plus, if you are scraping the rear on a camaro, you are also scraping the air-damn/splitter up front.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #19
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicks17SS View Post
I do, and I love it! Have not had any issues and it gets a tons of compliments..
Vicks, are you mounting two suction cups on the roof and one on the window? Hard to tell in your picture.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #20
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
One item to note is the fact the sheet metal on these cars is paper thin. Even when I wash my Gen6, by hand of course, the roof will buckle under the simple pressure of my washing mit, cant imagine the weight of a bike rack.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #21
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
I have one and it’s awesome highly recommend! I use it with a 29er and driving fast is not an issue
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #22
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Your roof is aluminum, not a chance I would consider that. There are a good selection of trailer hitches available and proper bike carriers for them.
My roof handles it fine just have one wheel on the front or back glass
Old 01-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #23
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Get a sea sucker you really won’t regret it. No way I’d put a hitch on this thing
Old 03-22-2021, 05:40 AM   #24
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
1Up rack fits like a glove, and the Camaro is an excellent bike hauler.

I never realized someone revived this thread! Spring is here and I'm ready to throw a rack on mine. Which hitch did you go with, where did you get it installed, and how much was it (since we're both in the FR and this isn't a simple hitch install)? I had to dig really hard to find a Thule T2 Pro XT rack, but 1UP was my next choice. That looks clean as hell!
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #25
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by delthawk5 View Post
I never realized someone revived this thread! Spring is here and I'm ready to throw a rack on mine. Which hitch did you go with, where did you get it installed, and how much was it (since we're both in the FR and this isn't a simple hitch install)? I had to dig really hard to find a Thule T2 Pro XT rack, but 1UP was my next choice. That looks clean as hell!
Yeah, install is pretty easy but there's some foam that needs to be trimmed a bit, I missed that so I have to take the bumper cover off again, but it's not a big deal, it's a pretty easy install actually.

If you don't want to do it, the hitch is sold by the dealer, and I'm sure any trailer shop would be able to put the hitch on.

The 1Up rack fits this car like it was custom designed for it. I've owned Thule in the past and would never recommend them, the racks rust and the plastic degrades with sun and weather. My 1Up is now over 5 years old and still looks like new.

I could see a sea sucker for occasional use, but I use the rack so often that it doesn't make sense. The 1Up rack can be removed and installed very quickly and doesn't touch the car at all.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #26
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yeah, install is pretty easy but there's some foam that needs to be trimmed a bit, I missed that so I have to take the bumper cover off again, but it's not a big deal, it's a pretty easy install actually.

If you don't want to do it, the hitch is sold by the dealer, and I'm sure any trailer shop would be able to put the hitch on.

The 1Up rack fits this car like it was custom designed for it. I've owned Thule in the past and would never recommend them, the racks rust and the plastic degrades with sun and weather. My 1Up is now over 5 years old and still looks like new.

I could see a sea sucker for occasional use, but I use the rack so often that it doesn't make sense. The 1Up rack can be removed and installed very quickly and doesn't touch the car at all.
Was it the Curt one then, sold by GM as a Camaro accessory? I saw that one required cutting the diffuser. etrailer has one by draw-tite that does not require cutting. That's the one I was considering.
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #27
DaveC113

Yes, the dealer-sold Curt hitch requires cutting the lower edge of the bumper cover, it's no problem to do so (it's very easy) but I'd rather not. I thought it would be best to get the "official" hitch but if I were to do it over I might get something else.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #28
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
I had the draw tite hitch installed at my dealership. No cutting involved although they told me the rear bumper has a slight panel gap due to the bumper support beams jutting out slightly farther. I wouldn't have noticed it if they hadn't mentioned it to me.
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote