Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
DWillys

Drives: Truck
Factory Bose system - any upgrades?

Can the Bose system's sound be improved or is it pretty much a closed system? Not really interested in a sub, more in improving clarity and tonal balance.
DWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
Many here have posted good results replacing all speakers and adding a DSP along with one or more amps.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
you pretty much have to do an entire system to improve the sound...need to keep the bose amp in place and use a DSP on the bose amp outputs...replace all the speakers/etc...wont be cheap...

the bose system...you either leave it...add a subwoofer only...or do a complete install including replacing all the speakers and adding amps..

here is a link to my install and equipment...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497975
Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
DWillys

I read somewhere that the Bose electronics adjusts the bass output based on volume (reduces it the louder you go). Any truth to that?

If so, can a DSP negate that?

I figured to improve clarity I would have to replace most if not all of the speakers. My concern is with the HU bose electronics doing all sorts of things to the signal that can't really be compensated for downstream.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
tecboy

The bose amp does adjust bass output the higher the volume..sweet spot is about 60% then bass rolls off...each channel is eq'ed and crossed over differently..there is also some delay on some of the channels ..you need a dsp to sum up channels..etc channel levels then hand off a flat full range signal..my Rockford 3 sixty.3 also has a 1/3 octave eq...to fine tune signal even more..I have not seen anyone on here who just changed speakers and had sound improvement..keep in mind..bose speakers are 2 ohm.

The door and rear deck are same part number..doors are primary woofers in the system...door and rear deck are only getting 20-300hz...dash and rear sides are 300-16k hz
Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
DWillys

It sounds like I'd need something like a JBL MS-8 (along with someone that really understands how to set it up) to counter all the things bose is doing to the signal.

A complete set of speakers, amps, DSP, and someone to tune ... $$$$
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
tecboy

many have used a JL Audio FIX as a DSP...i tried that but didnt like the sound..so i switched to a Rockford Fosgate 3 Sixty.3 for a DSP...more control over assigning inputs to outputs...remote levels for sub and main output and most important...the 1/3 octave eq...the remote level is nice as the seat belt chiimes and turn signals come over the front dash left output and the rear backup warning come over the rear left side output...amplify those and the car 3 lanes over can here your turn signal blinker sound...
Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
DWillys

Ahhh. Reading the matt713 thread now.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
CaliMBF

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert
Here's a link to my system upgrade. I added a sub, but you don't have to if you don't want. Get some good quality speakers, DSP and an amp and you'll be all set. My installer has software for the Audison that I put in. He used that to tune the system to my liking.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499580
CaliMBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The AudioControl DM-810 is what I'll be getting when I upgrade my system. It can take up to 8 input channels of any impedance, crossover, and rolloff level and output a full, flat signal to 8 stereo channels and two mono channels. It has a USB connection for your laptop so you can completely customize your EQ on each channel. Eliminates rolloff, gives you full bandwidth to channels that are crossed over by the Bose system to the tweeters and rear deck 6x9s, and gives you complete customizable control over the system.

Can't wait to get mine going. Have some more important home improvements going on right now so the stereo will have to wait..... expecting to be around $2500 all in for my upgrade.

Hint for you all: if you get high quality full range 6x9s for your rear deck and a very good amplifier to drive them, you won't need a sub. With the small, tight trunk acting as a sub box it will deliver clean, crisp, well defined bass that will raise the hair on your neck without taking up the valuable limited room in your trunk.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote