#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #57
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
I am totally fine with dissing California, because you are wrong. Misguided. My home town, hell even home state (NOT Michigan) is no where near those costs. Last time I did it it was 60$, if memory serves. I hear it went up to a blistering 80$ on my little brothers truck. I about fell over when I went to register my Z/28 in Michigan..for 370$.

You can keep California, you can cry fake news all you would like..numbers dont lie.

However, as a previous poster pointed states will eventually get you somewhere. Yes Texas has property taxes and sales tax. But, i've done the numbers and my cost of living drops significantly by moving back to my home state of Texas from Michigan, so I am doing just that.
Well, yeah, but Texas is hot as ****, has no mountains (except for that small desolate area near El Paso), has very limited to no public land, etc. If you love living indoors, tornadoes, ice storms, eating and getting fat, endless road construction, traffic, hurricanes, etc., it’s for you. I like mountains, hiking, getting outside, etc. I’m in Texas right now. Can’t wait to leave.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #58
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Texas has some beautiful hill country, and some awesome parks.. you are just not getting out. Look up the 3 sisters, or hike Granite State park

Yeah we don't have mountains.. I grew up in no-cal.. so I know what you are saying.. but the people here are so much more down to earth and polite. Factor that with the cost of living and accessibility to just about everything and anything.

There is a reason why people are leaving Cali and moving to Texas.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #59
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Texas has some beautiful hill country, and some awesome parks.. you are just not getting out. Look up the 3 sisters, or hike Granite State park

Yeah we don't have mountains.. I grew up in no-cal.. so I know what you are saying.. but the people here are so much more down to earth and polite. Factor that with the cost of living and accessibility to just about everything and anything.

Nothing like riding the Three Twisted Sisters, Texas Roller Coasters!

After a great ride or before the ride since it's right there outside of Kerrville on 39, go and see Stonehenge II

Then go get a bite at Mac & Ernies!

http://www.macandernies.com/

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #60
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post

I’ve been all over Texas. I know what I’m talking about here. My parents lived in hill country for years, before moving to SA. The outdoors people I meet in any state are nice and polite. Plenty of a-holes here in TX too, just like everywhere else. QOL to me is being able to do stuff and having open non-private land. Even California has that in abundance. Obesity is off the charts here and most places I travel in the south.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #61
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I’ve been all over Texas. I know what I’m talking about here. My parents lived in hill country for years, before moving to SA. The outdoors people I meet in any state are nice and polite. Plenty of a-holes here in TX too, just like everywhere else. QOL to me is being able to do stuff and having open non-private land. Even California has that in abundance. Obesity is off the charts here and most places I travel in the south.
Yeah Texans like to eat, we are not much into California kale chips or seaweed. Not sure how that negatively affects you? If you live in any major city you can readily find those shitty health food stores that sell the bags of tree bark and stuff. Especially Austin.

Lived in Texas all my life, sans 3 years, and I never got bored..I think you're doing it wrong. There are people in the deep east and out west that spend so little time indoors it would make your head spin.

Palo duro, enchanted rock, guadalupe peak, big bend which would take you a month to do... There is no doubt that certain places in Texas will bore you to death, you just have to move around from that area. Like the pan handle for example..we could give that away as far as I am concerned. I am from the coast (outside Houston), or I could run out and visit Rayburn or Toledo Bend, or short stint up north to Caddo and get really off grid for a while.

Just PM me, tell me what you want to do, and I can probably find you something to do.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #62
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Yeah Texans like to eat, we are not much into California kale chips or seaweed. Not sure how that negatively affects you? If you live in any major city you can readily find those shitty health food stores that sell the bags of tree bark and stuff. Especially Austin.

Lived in Texas all my life, sans 3 years, and I never got bored..I think you're doing it wrong. There are people in the deep east and out west that spend so little time indoors it would make your head spin.

Palo duro, enchanted rock, guadalupe peak, big bend which would take you a month to do... There is no doubt that certain places in Texas will bore you to death, you just have to move around from that area. Like the pan handle for example..we could give that away as far as I am concerned. I am from the coast (outside Houston), or I could run out and visit Rayburn or Toledo Bend, or short stint up north to Caddo and get really off grid for a while.

Just PM me, tell me what you want to do, and I can probably find you something to do.
People go camping when it's 103 degrees and 95% humidity? That's just no fun. I'll admit that coastal fishing is decent, but most everything here in Texas requires massive driving and then when you get there, it literally sucks compared to the same types of things in western states. Hiking, hunting, skiing, cycling, climbing, mountain fishing, escaping to cool forests to camp in the summer, etc. The list could go on and on, and while Texas has some of these things, they are poor in comparison. Heck, even just amazing roads with views and turns, yes I know the stuff near Austin and the hill country, but the main point is these are exceptions and very limited. Quality of life. I find quality of life to be far higher in other states, and it's about far more than just money.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #63
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
People go camping when it's 103 degrees and 95% humidity? That's just no fun. I'll admit that coastal fishing is decent, but most everything here in Texas requires massive driving and then when you get there, it literally sucks compared to the same types of things in western states. Hiking, hunting, skiing, cycling, climbing, mountain fishing, escaping to cool forests to camp in the summer, etc. The list could go on and on, and while Texas has some of these things, they are poor in comparison. Heck, even just amazing roads with views and turns, yes I know the stuff near Austin and the hill country, but the main point is these are exceptions and very limited. Quality of life. I find quality of life to be far higher in other states, and it's about far more than just money.
Well, I was born into that humidity and heat so..yep..I sure do. I guess what it all boils down to is quality of life is subjective. I'm leaving MI this year to return to TX and mine will greatly improve when I get there. Realistically the only two places I've been where I could still be satisfied is the Smokeys or Stuffed on a beach somewhere in South Florida. Mostly because I am a beach bum at heart. I've been to HI but as you might suspect, quality of life goes up, wallet gets way thinner.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #64
JamesNoBrakes

Everyone I’ve talked to that has lived in HI says it gets old after a year or two and being on the island just ends up too isolated. Cool at first, but not great in the long run.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #65
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Everyone I’ve talked to that has lived in HI says it gets old after a year or two and being on the island just ends up too isolated. Cool at first, but not great in the long run.
NS! Lived there for 8 years on Oahu, Wahiawa and Ewa Beach. Where did we go on vacation? The Big Island. LOL!!! What was my summer job? Picking pineapples for Dole. LOL!!! Don't even get me started about Kill Haole Day in school.

I'm sure things are much better these days, but if you get stir crazy easy, it's not a place for you.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #66
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
They also talk about the registration hike.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-majority.html

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #67
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
My daughter is moving to San Diego and I’m not happy about it. I hope they end up moving to Seattle in two years like she wants (boyfriend is in the Navy).
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #68
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
My daughter is moving to San Diego and I’m not happy about it. I hope they end up moving to Seattle in two years like she wants (boyfriend is in the Navy).
My brother was there in the Navy and I visited a few times. He loved it, lived a block from the beach. Good times. Weather is amazing, as in always temperate if you are close to the beach, almost never bad. Inland can get hot in the summer. Great food.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD