Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Not bashing Ohio, I was born there, but the cost comparison should include all the pieces. The CA ZL1 hypothetical work up included $5k in sales tax. Ohio has sales tax too. Just not quite as much.
https://www.carsdirect.com/car-prici...e-ohio-car-tax

As for CA, I have lived here since I was 12...50 years this year. I want a second home out of state. Probably keep a house here in CA too. There's no better climate than the coastal area of the southern half of CA. Unfortunately, it brings many negatives like millions of people and all the associated traffic, crime, tax, blah, blah, blah. The politics of CA are also a big driver for me to leave. But looking around the country, the climate and cultural amenities (attractions, restaurants, etc.) are not found anywhere else in one package. When it boils down, it's all about each individual's quality of life, and that is primarily driven by your financial situation.

My wife retires this year and I'm probably right behind her. We are very fortunate to have made a great living as aerospace professionals and have great nest eggs individually that allow us to live about anywhere in the country. We're still discussing where, it may be more than one other place, but we agree we will keep a CA home. This being a car forum, car guys know that CA is the Mecca of the automotive world. I see more exotics and customs everyday than are probably in the state of Ohio. So, there are pluses.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #30
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Oregon has two registration rates in place for pickups. I could register my 2015 Megacab dually diesel as for personal use only for $110 every 2 years (it's gone up some this year), but because i use it for business and need to declare plated GVWR, i pay nearly $900 every year. That's 16 times as much! At least we have no sales tax. Oh, yeah, i lived in Cali for 26 years, and don't miss the taxes!
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #31
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
commiefornia, commies = liberals = taxes....blah blah blah.

and yet...their god is in bed with a hardcore KGB commie. Seems pretty weird to go off about commies but then worship one.

Maybe it would make more sense to come up with another insult about liberals other than commie, since POTUS is clearly a commie lover.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #32
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Not bashing Ohio, I was born there, but the cost comparison should include all the pieces. The CA ZL1 hypothetical work up included $5k in sales tax. Ohio has sales tax too. Just not quite as much.
https://www.carsdirect.com/car-prici...e-ohio-car-tax

As for CA, I have lived here since I was 12...50 years this year. I want a second home out of state. Probably keep a house here in CA too. There's no better climate than the coastal area of the southern half of CA. Unfortunately, it brings many negatives like millions of people and all the associated traffic, crime, tax, blah, blah, blah. The politics of CA are also a big driver for me to leave. But looking around the country, the climate and cultural amenities (attractions, restaurants, etc.) are not found anywhere else in one package. When it boils down, it's all about each individual's quality of life, and that is primarily driven by your financial situation.

My wife retires this year and I'm probably right behind her. We are very fortunate to have made a great living as aerospace professionals and have great nest eggs individually that allow us to live about anywhere in the country. We're still discussing where, it may be more than one other place, but we agree we will keep a CA home. This being a car forum, car guys know that CA is the Mecca of the automotive world. I see more exotics and customs everyday than are probably in the state of Ohio. So, there are pluses.
I to have lived here my whole life and can retire where I want. The only difference is I will not give Ca another red nickel to squander when I leave. It was was a great state that is no longer. All of my circle of middle class hard working friends agree and are also leaving. The day of recononing for Ca is not that many years off. I travel a lot and have grown to understand the only difference is weather. Food, culture and above all nice people are alive in well in other states.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #33
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
I to have lived here my whole life and can retire where I want. The only difference is I will not give Ca another red nickel to squander when I leave. It was was a great state that is no longer. All of my circle of middle class hard working friends agree and are also leaving. The day of recononing for Ca is not that many years off. I travel a lot and have grown to understand the only difference is weather. Food, culture and above all nice people are alive in well in other states.
Considering it's the fifth largest economy, I don't think the state is going anywhere anytime soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/u...my-growth.html
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #34
43Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Considering it's the fifth largest economy, I don't think the state is going anywhere anytime soon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/u...my-growth.html
With one of the largest deficit operating states in the union. Should we talk about balanced budget, probably the 5th worst in the world. It will catch up. The state and what it produces for national product and foreign product is great, it’s the corrupt government that is the problem. Not getting anymore of my cash. When I use the words catch up, look back in 30 years and see what happens in this state. You would think with such a blustering economy the state would be in much better financial shape, not with the current political climate. Again these are opinions of someone who has lived here a quarter century.

Back to the original thread, nobody in the US should pay over $1000.00 to drive a car on the hwy per year, it’s absurd. They have been jacking registration up every other year, and yet our infustructure is in horrible shape. The money gets squandered and wasted on bullet trains and other waisted projects. I just can’t do it anymore. Retirement soon and leaving.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #35
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Stop it.
Fake News.

Wall Street Journal 2018:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jerry-b...nia-1515624022

ps: lived here over half a century. you get what you pay for.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #36
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
Stop it.
Fake News.

Wall Street Journal 2018:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jerry-b...nia-1515624022

ps: lived here over half a century. you get what you pay for.
But creating such a large economy can't have been accomplished by "the commies" now could it?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
43Camaro

Streets that smell like urine and fecis. 25% of the homeless population and out of control. I’m getting what I pay for. See u later enjoy..

Once again the point of the thread, $1000.00 to drive on streets is ridiculous and disturbing and the truth. I’ll enjoy a state where I can modify a car and enjoy a ride among nice people. Within 20 years you won’t have a muscle car in Cali, enjoy your Tesla. Again I’m not fed up not with the weather or general dynamics of the state, but the corruption and politics. I respect all of you for staying as I have for 50 years, just not for me anymore. Goodbye Moonbeam..

Old 05-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #38
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Arizona registration was crazy when I lived there.

Quote:
Vehicle Registration Renewal (also available in Spanish)
Vehicle registration fees include a $4.50, $8.00, or $9.00 registration fee (depending on the type of vehicle); an air quality fee of $1.50; an air quality compliance fee of .25 (depending on the location the vehicle is being operated in); and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value.

For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, and is registered for two years, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06. Other fees may apply when a vehicle is registered commercially.

A vehicle eligible for 2-Year or 5-year registration will only be assessed a one year registration fee and a one year air quality compliance fee that covers the entire registration period.

Note: Fees may vary based upon exemption qualifications
So lets just say 50K, 60% is 30K/100*2.8=$840.

Yes, it's not just California. Arizona also gets you with sales taxes, fairly steep.

Then there's property tax in Texas, and so on.

People seem to always pick and choose in this game. Yes, some are worse than others, there are also fantastic places to live in CA besides the Bay Area and Los Angeles, although those are the only two places that people tend to think of, just like everyone thinks AZ is only Phoenix and WA only Seattle. If you really want to have a discussion about taxes, you gotta really consider what each state does. You aren't "making out" just because you don't pay income taxes in one state or expensive registration in another.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #39
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
Streets that smell like urine and fecis. 25% of the homeless population and out of control. I’m getting what I pay for. See u later enjoy..

Once again the point of the thread, $1000.00 to drive on streets is ridiculous and disturbing and the truth. I’ll enjoy a state
Why u comparing a state to a city? How does that even begin to make sense?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #40
43Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Why u comparing a state to a city? How does that even begin to make sense?
Again the Registration fees over $1000.00 is ridiculous. This is made more ridiculous when most of us know this increase every other year never makes it to the earmarked location, in this case roadway repair.

For your reading pleasure, you can google Ca homeless for hundreds of articles. You would think at over a $1000.00 we could do a better job with this issue. Especially when the cash never makes it to the roadway, lets help the homeless population.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/u...-increase.html

We can open up the gas tax debate along with every new house required to have solar by 2020, that cost wont be passed on to the consumer 10 fold, sure!

Again I cant knock people for living in Cali, just not for me anymore..

Old 05-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #41
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Come to Wonderful Colorado, where we can lighten that wallet of yours... my 2006 Honda Goldwing registered here in 2007, over $600! My 2015 Camaro SS/1LE, almost $1100!

Yes, that's just for plates/tags folks!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #42
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
I feel as though the purpose of this thread was to dis California.

Dude, you live in a country whose national religion is Capitalism. It costs a whole lot of money to live anywhere in this nation and drive a muscle car. But again, you get what you pay for.

I'll pay the taxes for living in the USA each and every day!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]