Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #71
sav03cobra
SS Copbait R.I.

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
yes the cabin filter
I honestly can't recall if it was a dry filter or not. I think they have a the cleaning kits for the Cabin Filters....but not sure if oiled.
sav03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #72
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Just replaced mine at 22,000 and it wasn't too dirty. Also, I have to say the install was a lot easier than some of you made it out to be. I was able to just compress each side of the glovebox and it popped right out.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #73
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
People are making this harder then it has to be. Empty glove box, on the right side slide clip forward to unhook, use a wonder bar (one inch wide pry bar) and place directly in middle of the left edge of box and put just enough pressure to visibly see the one inch wide "block" clear the lip that holds it in place, keep just enough pressure to keep from falling back in place and do the same on the right side. Once you clear the lip on the right side the box will swing down. There are two clips on the bottom of the filter cover that hold it in place, unclip and pull out cover, change filter and reverse. It took longer to empty the glove box then to change the filter.
Exactly. Did mine in about 2 minutes.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #74
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Anyone know if the K&N is a dry filter or does it have oil in it?

It’s not oiled in the way that their engine air filters are oiled.

It’s cleaned with a bottle of their cleaner and then sprayed with what they call “refresher” which is like a concentrated Lysol spray. K&N seems to make a point for their cabin air filters to avoid labeling them as “oiled”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #75
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Resurrecting this one.
As others have mentioned, big screwdrivers or crowbars go a long way (no pun intended)and definitely tie a string to the cord. Also with the filter out, it’s a great time to spray sanitizer in the vents by the base of the hood to really get rid of odors.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #76
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
I just accomplished my first cabin filter R&R and thought I'd share some observations:

As to the "considerable force" needed to disengage the plastic dowels/pegs, that all depends. Using a straight tool like a screwdriver, even a big one, really lessens the mechanical advantage. A pry bar with a small curve allows you to put the force right where you need it...adjacent to the dowel. In this way, not a whole lot of force required. You can also use the box end of a large-ish ( 7/8'' to 1" ) combo wrench, as the box end is angled upward. Trying to use a flat screwdriver means applying lots of force along the whole side of the glove box: I could see where some would be concerned they'll break the thing. I know I was.

Attaching "pull" wire or whatever to the lanyard was a GREAT idea. Thanks.

Did the whole thing in 10 or 12 minutes. I can shave that down to 5 or so next time.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #77
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Just did mine as well. No issue and yeah it takes some effort to overcome the dowels.
I snapped my little bungee string, I had it attached and moved out of the way but when I went to pull it back down I pulled it down to far and snapped. Oh well its a glove box.. I looked at the replacing it but that thing is far up there. Not worth the hassle.. Sucks.. but oh well...
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #78
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Yeah what a nightmare to replace. Once you get one side sort of free, you need to pry even harder on the other side to get that one free. Filter was nasty, got AC Delco CF1184C to replace it, carbon impregnated filter to absorb bad odors.

I went to order this filter from Amazon and it says "Does Not Fit You Vehicle" but Ebay says it does but Ebay is $10.00 more?
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #79
Calbob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
This might be dumb. Was there a switch or process to tell the car PCM that the filter is changed. Allegedly, Onstar called my Chevy dealer to say the filter was due (mileage I am sure). I want to make sure Onstar STFU about the filter once done.
Calbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:31 AM   #80
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
found mine filled with a mouse nest.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #81
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbob View Post
This might be dumb. Was there a switch or process to tell the car PCM that the filter is changed. Allegedly, Onstar called my Chevy dealer to say the filter was due (mileage I am sure). I want to make sure Onstar STFU about the filter once done.
no there just recommending it because of mileage or time. they have no idea if it really needs to be or if its been changed.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #82
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I went to order this filter from Amazon and it says "Does Not Fit You Vehicle" but Ebay says it does but Ebay is $10.00 more?
this is the 1 that fits our cars CF184 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the cf1184c is 2.00 x 12.00 x 11.00 inches the cf184 is 10.00 x 10.00 x 1.30 inches. I put the CF184 in and it seamed to be the same size. i didnt think to measure them.

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-30-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #83
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
just took me nearly an hour to do. never had such a hard time in any other car, but i'm glad it's done. car has 22,000 miles, and the filter was filthy.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #84
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
this is the 1 that fits our cars CF184 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the cf1184c is 2.00 x 12.00 x 11.00 inches the cf184 is 10.00 x 10.00 x 1.30 inches. I put the CF184 in and it seamed to be the same size. i didnt think to measure them.
Thanks for the part# dog! I ordered a filter that was supposed to fit from
one of our vendors and got a cabin filter for a Dodge Ram!?
BTW- you're right you should've got a ZL1. All the work you've done reminds of all the effort I put in my 2010 RS (including S/C'ing). But it was alot of fun though, huh?
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote