Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Cordless DA buffers

Im looking into this as an upgrade, currently own a Makita corded Rotary buffer Ive had for probably 10 years. No probelms with it, just think a DA is a better way to fly. Curious what you guys like to use AND why? I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee 2738, mostly because I have a gift card that would pay for the majority of it. Whats holding me back is I only have about 3 secs of experience with that Milwaukee tool and 0 with others (literally). I see the Milwaukee tool has a 7" backing pad, while the Flex XFE15 150 has a smaller 6" backing pad. This means I would have to purchase all new pads as well. The Flex is roughly twice the price as I would only need to buy the Milwaukee tool, not the kit, due to I have other Milwaukee brand 18v tool kits. What worries me is that I dont know how tight the throws are on the Flex compared to the Milwaukee. The 3 secs I used the Milwaukee, that thing seemed to have a really long throw range.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
i have a griots 5 inch cordless, its all Ive used for the last 3 yesrs, it works perfect for a new car with light correction, 1 batt does my whole car. For a car that needs a true 2 stage polish, I would look elsewhere or usemy corded 6 in griots.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ghlight=detail
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
That Milwaukee tool is a great tool with tons of battery life. I saw one complete a huge truck on one battery.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
GrimReaperSS

With the Miwaukee, I have plenty of 5Ah batteries from the other tool kits. So that wont be the issue for sure. I guess I was wondering how it compares in long/short throws compared to other brands. Seems like it woild be good for a large coverage area, but tighter stuff might not be so useful.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #5
GrimReaperSS

So I ended up not purchasing the Milwaukee, found out its a rotary and not a DA as I had originally thought. Although there is a conversion kit you can adapt to it to make it a DA. I just didnt feel like I wanted to purchase something new and then have to convert it. So I ended up with a Makita PO5000C, yes, not cordless like I was initially looking for. I have already a Makita rotary and the cord doesnt really bother me when using it so..... time to get some pads!
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
I went with Milwaukee because it uses a lithium battery.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
So I ended up not purchasing the Milwaukee, found out its a rotary and not a DA as I had originally thought. Although there is a conversion kit you can adapt to it to make it a DA. I just didnt feel like I wanted to purchase something new and then have to convert it. So I ended up with a Makita PO5000C, yes, not cordless like I was initially looking for. I have already a Makita rotary and the cord doesnt really bother me when using it so..... time to get some pads!
It’s a nice machine I use it all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to because it rotates the opposite direction than most polishers.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote