Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Via the OnStar big brother system? Now complete w/LTE for the 6th Gen...
Since I am the foremost proponent of OnStar, bar none, detecting a tune either present or used in the past is not a function of OnStar and OnStar would have limited methods of detection. Say OnStar detected a vehicle traveling at 180mph when speed governed at 150mph, then OnStar could suspect warranty revoking parts including ecm tuning or practices in place.

OnStar can detect the mph but can only suspect why. OnStar, to my knowledge, can not detect an after market tune but can only see symptoms that are a result of an after market tune.

OnStar us not a reason to refuse to mod.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Since I am the foremost proponent of OnStar, bar none, detecting a tune either present or used in the past is not a function of OnStar and OnStar would have limited methods of detection. Say OnStar detected a vehicle traveling at 180mph when speed governed at 150mph, then OnStar could suspect warranty revoking parts including ecm tuning or practices in place.

OnStar can detect the mph but can only suspect why. OnStar, to my knowledge, can not detect an after market tune but can only see symptoms that are a result of an after market tune.

Laborsmith
There's that, and the fact that it doesn't really matter to GM if your warranty has been voided or not until something breaks. When it breaks, your car gets taken to the dealer. At that point it becomes completely irrelevant as to whether or not OnStar could detect a tune, because a dealer has physical access to it.

But besides that, unless you are trying to trick GM into paying for warranty work that they don't have to ... it shouldn't ever matter if they know its been tuned or not.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Thumbs down

What's next, "illegal tune or modification" alert sent to the EPA and the car won't be startable 90 days after notice until it is reverted. Then due to some unpaid tolls (which you thought were debited from your tollway account which happened to have a zero balance) and the car won't be startable 90 days after notice... All due to new legislation, made possible by OnStar and similar systems by other vehicle makers.

4th Gen Camaros did JUST FINE without it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post

Laborsmith
Old 07-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #32
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
What's next, "illegal tune or modification" alert sent to the EPA and the car won't be startable 90 days after notice until it is reverted. Then due to some unpaid tolls (which you thought were debited from your tollway account which happened to have a zero balance) and the car won't be startable 90 days after notice... All due to new legislation, made possible by OnStar and similar systems by other vehicle makers.

4th Gen Camaros did JUST FINE without it...
You KNOW that's coming eventually.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #33
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Ragnar ......... LoL, I was using sarcasm, I don't like those cars that look like that but I am definitely looking forward to a Turbo Camaro, take a look @ Vermont Tuning and notice how much HP/TQ they squeezed out of the Caddy ATS 2.0L(already has factory Forced Induction and let me know if you think the 2016 3.6L will be able to produce that much HP/TQ) ....... I think the top of the line Vermont package already claims of like 391hp/410tq @ the wheels .... for the 2.0L, pretty impressive in my book ...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #34
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
I always loved Camaros and I really like the 5th and even the 6th Gen ....... In my case, I like different, a Turbo 4 is definitely different in my opinion, since it has never been done before in a Camaro and I think the Turbo 4 will surprise a lot of folks that dis it ....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #35
DanaM

Drives: 2010 Ram 1500 / 2006 Charger R/T
Send a message via Skype™ to DanaM
I would never try to trick a car company but you can sure bet your ass that if they can get out of doing warranty work by detecting and any mods they will go for it rather it had anything to do with the problem or not. I definitely speak from experience on that.
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #36
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Ragnar ......... LoL, I was using sarcasm, I don't like those cars that look like that but I am definitely looking forward to a Turbo Camaro, take a look @ Vermont Tuning and notice how much HP/TQ they squeezed out of the Caddy ATS 2.0L(already has factory Forced Induction and let me know if you think the 2016 3.6L will be able to produce that much HP/TQ) ....... I think the top of the line Vermont package already claims of like 391hp/410tq @ the wheels .... for the 2.0L, pretty impressive in my book ...
I'm just messing with you, LOL. It is interesting to see the different people 6th Gen is attracting. I see many new faces on this sight, and that is good for team Camaro. I guess when I see you coming, I should take you to the
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #37
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaM View Post
I would never try to trick a car company but you can sure bet your ass that if they can get out of doing warranty work by detecting and any mods they will go for it rather it had anything to do with the problem or not. I definitely speak from experience on that.
I have only added a Bo White TB and CAI Inc. Those 2 changes were dramatic. I will not do any mods that will void my warranty. If you have a tune, from what I have heard, GM will void a warranty. The last 2 mods that I can do without affecting my warranty are, from what I heard, shorty headers and HF cats. That's it! I have NPP and that is perfect for me.

I will say that I'm glad that I didn't discover the forum until Feburary 2014, after Gen 5 had some vehicles on the road! I had to have a 1LE, sold my '69 Z/28 and ordered my car in March and knew what to do for protection and performance, before my car had arrived. To be in the beginning with all of the unknowns, that is a very special time!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
OnStar can detect a CEL and report to you the owner what is going on.

I do know that when I was working on using OnStar to determine customer usage events, there was a HUGE firewall that prevented me from accessing anything regarding the owner. Just usage data.

So GM could...................but won't. What they will do is take the snapshot of the PCM to verify no modifications to the original calibration prior to approving warranty work. For this reason alone GM tracking the PCM is meaningless. They'll cover that when something breaks.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #39
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
In the near-term, so much for HP Tuners... :roll eyes: However, this has to depend on WHAT was modified -- if all you tweak is your fan speed and for it to come on earlier, that should not be a warranty decline.

As for the future, if OBD can be forced by government regulations, why would they stop there at what else they will try?

Some other future scenario: warranty work is being declined due to PCM modification. Later it is discovered the system was hacked and PCM modified via OnStar or the LTE wireless connection, or even an OBD WiFi dongle someone left plugged in... Perhaps a hack would be indistinguishable to GM vs. another tool like HP Tuners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
OnStar can detect a CEL and report to you the owner what is going on.

I do know that when I was working on using OnStar to determine customer usage events, there was a HUGE firewall that prevented me from accessing anything regarding the owner. Just usage data.

So GM could...................but won't. What they will do is take the snapshot of the PCM to verify no modifications to the original calibration prior to approving warranty work. For this reason alone GM tracking the PCM is meaningless. They'll cover that when something breaks.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #40
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Ok so quick question about the warranty voiding, and anyone with experience can chime in. The only NEW vehicle I have ever purchased was a motorcycle so I have no idea what voids what. Will lowering the car void the warranty or a part of the warranty, and if so which part?
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #41
DanaM

Drives: 2010 Ram 1500 / 2006 Charger R/T
Send a message via Skype™ to DanaM
I lowered my charger and switched out the sways and it never effected my warranty. Bigger tires and wheels did cause a stir when I went in to get tie rods replaced even with a recall in effect.
DanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #42
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxWittles View Post
Ok so quick question about the warranty voiding, and anyone with experience can chime in. The only NEW vehicle I have ever purchased was a motorcycle so I have no idea what voids what. Will lowering the car void the warranty or a part of the warranty, and if so which part?
Typically your warranty is broken up into sections of parts, powertrain, emissions, suspension, etc... So by lowering they could deny warranty repairs on suspension pieces if they can prove your modifications resulted in the failure. GM's policy on tunes is harsh and they will deny any powertrain repairs if a tune is detected, but not all dealerships apply it to full effect.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote