Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Exclamation TapShift!

Ok, so I'm a noob at this!

How, when and where with this TapShift thing?

I just crossed the 3K mark on my card so now I'm not so scared to mess with hard shifting the tranny a bit. Been racing around town in auto and now I'd like to explore this TapShift thing...

When should I use this mode. How to use it? Shifting at what RPMs' and in what gear. From what I've read around here the tras seems to shift itself when you hit high rpms....I think?

Any help / info would be great.

KaBoom
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

I just crossed the 3K mark on my card so now I'm not so scared to mess with hard shifting the tranny a bit. Been racing around town in auto and now I'd like to explore this TapShift thing...

When should I use this mode. How to use it? Shifting at what RPMs' and in what gear. From what I've read around here the tras seems to shift itself when you hit high rpms....I think?

KaBoom
Use it whenever you want, however you want. It's really that simple. The factory programming in the car will keep you from hurting it. It won't let you down shift if it predicts that the RPM will not be safe. I believe it will also shift itself to the next gear if you are twisting the engine too hard.

Personally I rarely use it, if at all. Putting it into 'M' and letting it shift itself in Sport Mode works fine for me. The car handles itself pretty well in that mode. Occasionally I may tap the buttons up or down to coax the car to change gears so I don't have to give so much go pedal to force a down shift (or if its being lazy with the up shifts).
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Get up to 40 MPH in auto, shift into sport mode, shift down to second gear, punch the gas.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's pretty user proof. Just tap the left paddle (i believe I'm assuming cause I have a manual) to downshift and floor it at anytime. If you have it in manual mode it will stay in whatever gear you put it in until you tell it to upshift or till you are going to slow for the gear. No risk to rev to high the computer will keep you in line. Have some fun

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
D.HOOD

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The car will downshift automatically when going to slow for the gear but it will not up shift for you. You will hit the rev limiter until you shift. Have fun with it!!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
DarkneZZ

Drives: '13 Camaro 2LT/RS
Side question guys
so, do I release gas pedal completely to upshift, then once I shift I floor it again?:P or do I slightly let it go, shift, and then keep on going with flooring?
DarkneZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneZZ View Post
Side question guys
so, do I release gas pedal completely to upshift, then once I shift I floor it again?:P or do I slightly let it go, shift, and then keep on going with flooring?
No need to do anything w/ the gas pedal unless you want to try and make it sound like you are driving a manual.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
DarkneZZ

Drives: '13 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No need to do anything w/ the gas pedal unless you want to try and make it sound like you are driving a manual.
Finally I got that answer thanks!
DarkneZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Go out to the country. Shift into "M", or Sport mode. Step on the gas with a little gusto. Tap the right paddle when it feels right. Left paddle to downshift. Do this for a while, punching it a little harder each time, and (as others have said) "have fun with it". You won't hurt anything. No need to let off gas when paddling through the gears.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I've driven mine in tap shift mode plenty...let me tell ya, it's a whole lotta fun my friend. As for how, when, where and why, everybody else has covered that for you. Go have some fun. It's the closest you get to a stick w/automatic!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Use it whenever you want, however you want. It's really that simple. The factory programming in the car will keep you from hurting it. It won't let you down shift if it predicts that the RPM will not be safe. I believe it will also shift itself to the next gear if you are twisting the engine too hard.

Personally I rarely use it, if at all. Putting it into 'M' and letting it shift itself in Sport Mode works fine for me. The car handles itself pretty well in that mode. Occasionally I may tap the buttons up or down to coax the car to change gears so I don't have to give so much go pedal to force a down shift (or if its being lazy with the up shifts).

In fact using the tap makes me yearn for a standard....sigh.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Launch from a dig in 1st and you will never want to be in auto mode again. 1st is wicked. Sadly it takes plenty of practice to get a super clean 1, 2 shift.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #13
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Use it however you like. I use mine some but not a lot. A few things to keep in mind. It can be used in Drive or sport modes but the 2 act different. This is from my experience using it. When in Drive, you can upshift or downshift as normal and trans will still shift automatically on its own with or without the paddles. Okay now in sport mode, trans will act and shift normally until you hit either tapshift paddle, when you do you are totally manual it will not upshift for you, when you come to a stop it will downshift but mine will not shift back up until the up paddle is tapped. It will not let you upshift in either mode if RPM is too low. In sport mode you will hit the engine limiter at 7k if you don't hit the tapshift, been there done that on more than one occasion. Usually because I keep forgetting the tapshift takes what seems like close to a second to shift after being tapped I seem to misjudge it and hit the limiter in first going to second. I use mine in drive mainly for downshifting to pass another vehicle this way I don't have to mash the pedal to get it to downshift. I rarely use it in mode unless I really in the mood for playing around and that is rare.

Read the manual and understand it then play to your hearts content.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

KaBoom
You can't hurt the engine or tranny by using the tap shifters. The computer monitors your speed and RPMs and knows if it can allow a upshifting or downshift without either lugging the engine on the upshifting or over revving it on the downshift. A message will appear in the DIC saying Shift Denied if your not in the right RPM range. It will not automatically shift up in manual mode. But it will shift down if you forget and stop with it in manual. Also in manual you can start out in second gear if the road is slick.
For more information you can consult your owners manual.

I usually use it for the mountains, when descending steep grades you can get it to hold in a lower gear and not have to use your brakes too much to keep the car at a safe speed.