Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #15
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Yes 8 months later a vendor found the manual camaro SS is the only GM vehicle to get a gen v engine without AFM hardware

which is pretty nice for those that want a easy cam only
Oh wow. I didn't think to look that this section has post from months ago without going back pages and pages.

Sorry about that. I see now you posted this ages ago HAHA. I was about to say even the cam specs are different on a manual. (minor but different) so there is no way it is the same hardware. Well sorry I was late to the game.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So does that mean the gen 6 manual LT1 cars don't have the AFM lifters?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsZ28 View Post
Oh wow. I didn't think to look that this section has post from months ago without going back pages and pages.

Sorry about that. I see now you posted this ages ago HAHA. I was about to say even the cam specs are different on a manual. (minor but different) so there is no way it is the same hardware. Well sorry I was late to the game.
its good to close the loop on this thread. interesting to see that there are different cams between tranmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
So does that mean the gen 6 manual LT1 cars don't have the AFM lifters?
yeah, so youre 1LE would be a pretty sweet track car with a aftermarket cam with mild ramp rate...and now we know could be easily done in a weekend.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Anyone know if you can associate the AFM to a drive mode in the tune? For example, I would like to have AFM on when in Tour mode but turned off in sport and track mode.
Trifecta does this (obviously their tune is for the A8).

When i'm in tour, my afm behaves normally. In sport, it's completely disabled.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #19
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Trifecta does this (obviously their tune is for the A8).

When i'm in tour, my afm behaves normally. In sport, it's completely disabled.
thats a really nice option
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Yes 8 months later a vendor found the manual camaro SS is the only GM vehicle to get a gen v engine without AFM hardware

which is pretty nice for those that want a easy cam only
Which vendor is that? Specifics on vehicle? Build date, etc?

Interesting as I had them in mine. I personally removed them and replaced with LS7 lifters and a Katech AFM delete cover. I have seen and heard of too many failures from the poorly designed AFM lifters and sustained high rpm driving, especially with the addition of aftermarket camshafts.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Which vendor is that? Specifics on vehicle? Build date, etc?

Interesting as I had them in mine. I personally removed them and replaced with LS7 lifters and a Katech AFM delete cover. I have seen and heard of too many failures from the poorly designed AFM lifters and sustained high rpm driving, especially with the addition of aftermarket camshafts.
Livernois was the vendor. See this thread:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=462141&page=2

So you have a manual '16 Camaro SS that did in fact have AFM lifters?
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #22
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Seems like we have some conflicting information out there. Both users visually confirmed that they either did or did not have the afm hardware in their 16 m6 ss. I wish there were some more clarification on this as it will probably sway me one way or another as to which upgrades I do first on my car.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Livernois was the vendor. See this thread:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=462141&page=2

So you have a manual '16 Camaro SS that did in fact have AFM lifters?
Yes I have a 2016 2ss with a manual. I had all AFM hardware in mine. It is all now in a box in the garage with all my other stock parts.

Perhaps Livernois will provide build data for the vehicles they have seen....or perhaps they misunderstood the question they had answered. We all know by now that the 16 Camaro with manual transmission does not "use" the AFM function, but all LT1 engines I have seen have had the parts installed.

Would be interesting to have a mid year change like that without an RPO designation change, I would think anyway.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
urr2slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy87 View Post
Seems like we have some conflicting information out there. Both users visually confirmed that they either did or did not have the afm hardware in their 16 m6 ss. I wish there were some more clarification on this as it will probably sway me one way or another as to which upgrades I do first on my car.
I would venture to say if you have a VLOM as a valley cover (under intake manifold). Then you have the lifters that operates. I would image you would see oil pressure issues if the VLOM was present and not the corresponding lifters.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Yes I have a 2016 2ss with a manual. I had all AFM hardware in mine. It is all now in a box in the garage with all my other stock parts.

Perhaps Livernois will provide build data for the vehicles they have seen....or perhaps they misunderstood the question they had answered. We all know by now that the 16 Camaro with manual transmission does not "use" the AFM function, but all LT1 engines I have seen have had the parts installed.

Would be interesting to have a mid year change like that without an RPO designation change, I would think anyway.
On cars with AFM lifters, don't 4 cylinders have the standard style lifters and 4 have the AFM style lifters? What are the part #s of the lifters you removed? Could you take some close-up pics of them? I'm very interested in understanding this difference. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
urr2slo

Here are some pictures. First picture is my transmission...it's a manual. As you can see there are 8 AFM lifters. They go to cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7. They are clearly different and have the springs attached to them. Also shown is the VLOM or Variable Lifter Oil Manifold. It controls oil pressure to the AFM Lifters to either make them open the valves fully or collapse them to make approx. 25PSI in the cylinder. You can also see the camshaft sprocket fastener in the picture. Notice it has holes in the housing as to control oil for the VVT actuator. I did not remove VVT, but the fastener is a one time use and I figure some people might find it interesting as most people don't have the opportunity to see all the parts that go inside their engines.
I checked with my parts guy and he said all 6.2L Di engines have AFM and even the same camshaft. Interestingly, his catalog shows the same camshaft part number for a 6.2 in a Camaro, Corvette, Silverado, Sierra, and Escalade. All with the same VLOM and Lifters part numbers and quantity. I'm pretty familiar with my car as you can see I've changed quite a bit. Camshaft, Headers, Supercharger, CAI, etc. I can confirm my car did have AFM parts installed from GM.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
vtirocz

Thanks!!! Very good info and evidence! Not what I wanted to hear though.

I would really like to see similar pictures from Livernois.

If theirs really did have all non-AFM lifters, then the possibilities I can think of are 1) running change or 2) plant deviation allowing use of the auto engine in some manuals.

Out of curiosity, what was your build date?
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #28
urr2slo

Build date was October 14th... I think. It was an early car for sure