Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #43
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
That's it?

Under the present conditions, that seems like a pittance to get upset over if the dealership is not otherwise trying to screw you, especially if there's no contract that says what the sale price was going to be.
I agree. Given the situation of the OP's order, I don't feel $1,500 is really that big of a deal IMO. You're lucky to get your hands on a Camaro, period, let alone that being a car that is actually wanted (it was obviously spec'd to order).
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #44
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I got my deposit back on the 21 Zl1 that I had ordered in large part because they didn't want to sell the car at sticker price, plus my used 1LE has/had gone up a lot in value that they didn't want to pay. I had a deal in hand with agreed upon numbers but the market changed so much after February when we did it that neither party wanted to remain in it and we parted ways.
I think it was smart on your part to walk away. I'm not in the position most of the commenters on this thread seem to be in, but I can't imagine a custom ordered car is a "needed" item. if the dealer isn't playing ball walk away and wait.

I see most of the people in the comments defending the dealers decision and it's pretty funny to me. Yes they are in the business to make money but making a small profit 6 times from the same customer usually yields you more business than making a big profit on one customer, because that customer likely isn't coming back. $1,500 isn't a lot but it should be coming out of the dealers pocket not the OPs. The dealership has an established relationship with the OP and they are going to throw it away because "things are tough because of the pandemic" or "that's the way the market is" .. dumb decision if you ask me.

If I were OP I'd get any deposits back and call it a day and look elsewhere for the car, even if I wound up paying sticker somewhere else
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #45
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I do not think anyone is defending the dealer but just like everything else supply and demand dictates $$.

But let's look at it from another angle... The owner has a dealership to run, he/she makes most of his/her $$ from the sale of vehicles, no vehicles no sales. He/She has staff to pay, AC-Heat, lighting and all other expenses including his/her own salary. SO the way I see it, they did not ask for money over just MSRP. At the moment that seems pretty fair, especially seeing how bad dealers are gouging vehicles like Hellcats, Corvettes, and many other vehicles.

So not really defending, it is just a reality of life at the moment.

He can walk if he wants. But if he can afford it and is keeping it until it blows up (hopefully more than 11K miles) then it is moot, buy it. Hell he can even go as far as saying I will pay MSRP but give me a set of tires when I need new ones. The dealer will most likely be running normal by then and they get tires at a discount. SO he get his "$1500" and car he ordered.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #46
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
When you order a vehicle, you agree on a price, in writing. If you didn't agree on a price, that's your own fault.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #47

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It works both ways. The customer can get out of the deal for any reason or for no reason. If you order a car, it comes in, you are not forced to buy it. You can always walk and the dealer is "stuck" with a car he may not have ordered built the way you did.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #48
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
The owner has a dealership to run, he/she makes most of his/her $$ from the sale of vehicles, no vehicles no sales. He/She has staff to pay, AC-Heat, lighting and all other expenses including his/her own salary....At the moment that seems pretty fair

So not really defending, it is just a reality of life at the moment.
calling something fair usually means you're defending it, IMO. if the owner of this dealership is going to be heavily affected by giving the OP $1500 to keep him happy, the dealership has bigger problems. At the end of the day, worrying about a "fair" deal isn't my responsibility as a buyer. If we've been working together on 5 vehicles, the market shouldn't affect our relationship
Old 06-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #49
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It works both ways. The customer can get out of the deal for any reason or for no reason. If you order a car, it comes in, you are not forced to buy it. You can always walk and the dealer is "stuck" with a car he may not have ordered built the way you did.
typically if you order a car and you back out of the deal for no reason at all, the dealer keeps the deposit and any profit they may or may not get when they sell. in this instance OP gets squat. so it's not really the same
Old 06-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #50
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
calling something fair usually means you're defending it, IMO. if the owner of this dealership is going to be heavily affected by giving the OP $1500 to keep him happy, the dealership has bigger problems. At the end of the day, worrying about a "fair" deal isn't my responsibility as a buyer. If we've been working together on 5 vehicles, the market shouldn't affect our relationship
Then he should walk. No harm no foul. He might find another car and the dealer might find another customer. My guess, both are true.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #51
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
In 2019, my dealer made it very clear to me, he had no idea what incentives would be available when my ordered car arrived, and i would be taking a chance on the final price. In the OP's case, the dealer is taking a chance with a repeat customer, by promising a price from their forecast of incentives. But then, who would have thought we'd be in the place we are now with automotive supply!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #52
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Ivy1LE View Post
And on that note, I bought 2 cars from a Ferd dealer. Was going back for a 2008 Mustang GT at the time, when I got there they were $5 over what I wanted to pay per month when I go to financing. The finance manager proceeded to tell me "I was willing to lose the deal over $5", my wife right away went "you are and just did". We walked out. The owner caught me in the parking lot and we ended $10 per month below. I would have found another dealer and he would have found another buyer.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #53
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Remember a fool and his money are soon parted.

The market right now is crazy stupid, over priced used cars and people paying thousands over MSRP for new...

Not sure what OPs situation is but I would wait it out, this too will pass LOL

I hear people that are selling C8 say that people are lining up to pay $20K over MSRP, those people are retards or should I say to not to insult those with special needs, they have more money than brains.

I remember the same mentality when the first C7 came out months later things worked out and the depreciation kicked in. I would and never have paid over MSRP and I have walked away from preorder deals because of it. The stealership is not bound to sell at MSRP

When the Nissan GTR came out I was one of the first in line to put down my deposit. Three months later the car arrived and the manager called, I went down all happy and crap and the with a smile he sprung the 20K over MSRP on me... I walked, I still remember the look on his face.

When the C8 was unveiled I went down to my Autonation where I have purchased over 10 vehicles over the past 15 years. I asked about the MSRP and the sales guys said dont worry "your a VIP" HAHAHAHAHAHHA yea right. A few weeks before delivery they called and guess what he told me that they could not do MSRP on the car but since I was a long time loyal customer they could do 10K over. I said Thanks and I will pass and I got my deposit back.

So if you want to feed the insanity whip out the checkbook and part with you money. Not me.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #54
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post

The market right now is crazy stupid, over priced used cars and people paying thousands over MSRP for new...

I hear people that are selling C8 say that people are lining up to pay $20K over MSRP, those people are retards or should I say to not to insult those with special needs, they have more money than brains.

I remember the same mentality when the first C7 came out months later things worked out and the depreciation kicked in. I would and never have paid over MSRP and I have walked away from preorder deals because of it. The stealership is not bound to sell at MSRP

When the Nissan GTR came out I was one of the first in line to put down my deposit. Three months later the car arrived and the manager called, I went down all happy and crap and the with a smile he sprung the 20K over MSRP on me... I walked, I still remember the look on his face.

When the C8 was unveiled I went down to my Autonation where I have purchased over 10 vehicles over the past 15 years. I asked about the MSRP and the sales guys said dont worry "your a VIP" HAHAHAHAHAHHA yea right. A few weeks before delivery they called and guess what he told me that they could not do MSRP on the car but since I was a long time loyal customer they could do 10K over. I said Thanks and I will pass and I got my deposit back.

So if you want to feed the insanity whip out the checkbook and part with you money. Not me.
He said MSRP. Not anything over, how is that a fool and his money?

Old 06-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #55
Envious_Ivy1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
And on that note, I bought 2 cars from a Ferd dealer. Was going back for a 2008 Mustang GT at the time, when I got there they were $5 over what I wanted to pay per month when I go to financing. The finance manager proceeded to tell me "I was willing to lose the deal over $5", my wife right away went "you are and just did". We walked out. The owner caught me in the parking lot and we ended $10 per month below. I would have found another dealer and he would have found another buyer.
your actions agree with me but your words don't lol I'm absolutely fine with the dealer selling the car to whomever. they can sell it for $10k over sticker and that's great. but I just wouldn't be the person buying it after they backed out on their word.

If you told me you'd do something, do it. Especially if I've bought 5 cars from you before. You'll make the money up somewhere else or on someone else
Old 06-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #56
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post

The thing is around here the C8s on the lots they got them priced at like 110k but they're not moving. They're just sitting on the lots and they maybe reduce it by about $800 a week.

The stealship with the shady sales techniques and terrible service dept I posted about has c7s on their lot and they overprice them right now by about $12,000! Even saw a guy get out of his car, look at it, saw him laughing at the sticker and he got back into his car and drove off. Those Vetts are still sitting there. Same moron dealer has a 2014 Mustang GT rag top. Had it for $31,600 a few weeks ago LOLs. They dropped the price to 29500 still a joke and the car sits there and they then slap stuff like SALE on it.

Almost like they put them on their lot and don't want to really push them at all. Just sitting there to take up space so they don't look like they're going out of business.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote