Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Phastek


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #15
The Specialist
 
The Specialist's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
The skip shift sensor will force you to shift from 1st to 4th under light/moderate acceleration. You can get an aftermarket sensor that eliminates this feature. There is also a reverse lockout sensor as well. I suspect there may be an issue with your reverse lockout sensor. Here is a link to a thread for a member that may have installed the aftermarket skip shift sensor in the reverse lockout sensor. I like your work around of shutting down in reverse.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543926
What does a reverse lockout sensor do?
I tried again yesterday.
Car fully warmed up. From a dead stop I accelerated as lightly as possible holding the car under 20mph in 1st gear. No skip shift activation or light.
The Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
AD17SS1LE
 
AD17SS1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 39
Reverse lockout sensor is a safety mechanism to keep you from shifting into reverse accidentally like if you are shifting into 5th and miss 5th and get reverse. When the sensor has 12 volts reverse is available, when no voltage you can't shift into reverse. I don't know what GM is using to trigger the 12v to the solenoid. I think you have an issue with your lockout sensor.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Pray ported TB/IM
TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers w catted con pipes
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 AM   #17
The Specialist
 
The Specialist's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
Reverse lockout sensor is a safety mechanism to keep you from shifting into reverse accidentally like if you are shifting into 5th and miss 5th and get reverse. When the sensor has 12 volts reverse is available, when no voltage you can't shift into reverse. I don't know what GM is using to trigger the 12v to the solenoid. I think you have an issue with your lockout sensor.
If it is the lockout sensor, why am I only having the issue when the outside temperature is in the 40's or below at start up?

Does that lockout sensor have anything to do with the car no longer doing its low mph skip shift thing?
The Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #18
AD17SS1LE
 
AD17SS1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 39
The lockout sensor has nothing to do with skip shift. I don't know why you only have the reverse issue when temps are below 40. I guess you can just continue to shut it down in reverse or try replacing your lockout sensor.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Pray ported TB/IM
TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers w catted con pipes
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #19
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 11,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Had intermittent hard shifts into reverse after a year with my OEM fluid. Never any issues with grinding.


I track my car so I change the tranny and diff fluid pretty regularly. I switched to Redline D4 last year and noticed improvement in my cold shifting vs OEM.


I still use OEM fluid in my diff.
I use Redline in my 2010 M6 and yes shifts better when it's cold for sure.




__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #20
The Specialist
 
The Specialist's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
The lockout sensor has nothing to do with skip shift. I don't know why you only have the reverse issue when temps are below 40. I guess you can just continue to shut it down in reverse or try replacing your lockout sensor.
I took her out yesterday at just under 50 degrees to go get an inspection. I had shut her down in reverse the last time I drove it. Backed out of my driveway and 1st was a little hard to get into. The inspection shop is only three miles away. After I arrived, I needed reverse and she wouldn't go the first time I tried. I had to go 1st-2nd-3rd. let out the clutch a bit and then go for reverse again. All the gears were a little tough. After I was done with the inspection I went for a ride for about ten or so miles. No issues after that. Every gear was like butter. I sat at a red light and played around with all the gears. This is why I'm led to believe it has to do with the fluid temperature. All summer there was absolutely no issues.
The Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #21
The Specialist
 
The Specialist's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 129
You folks that have swapped out the fluid in your M6 6th Gen.
Is this true? I copied this from another forum. I'm not sure if they're talking about the 6th Gen or something else.
Is it really this much of a Cluster F to check and change out the fluid?

""" Use a pipe cleaner to check your fluid level. Bend the tip, and then dip it in the well while the car is on a level surface to make sure the fluid is even with the bottom of the fill plug.

It's very easy to get the old fluid out. Very hard to get the new fluid in. During my change, I had to have a helper send "gulps" of fluid down to me from inside the passenger compartment with a 3 foot long fill hose. (Fortunately, I had the center console out.) There isn't enough space beside the transmission to get a bottle upside down with a normal short fill hose. """""
The Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #22
6spdhyperblue

 
Drives: 6spd
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: US
Posts: 2,185
Doesn’t sound like a fluid issue. You Ever bleed your brakes ?

Seems more like a clutch problem
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #23
The Specialist
 
The Specialist's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Doesn’t sound like a fluid issue. You Ever bleed your brakes ?

Seems more like a clutch problem

The clutch fluid? I have heard about that going dirty and needing to be changed out. My Clutch itself should be good. I haven't even gone past 5K RPM yet. No burnouts, no clowning around power shifting. None of that stuff.
The Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #24
AD17SS1LE
 
AD17SS1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Specialist View Post
You folks that have swapped out the fluid in your M6 6th Gen.
Is this true? I copied this from another forum. I'm not sure if they're talking about the 6th Gen or something else.
Is it really this much of a Cluster F to check and change out the fluid?

""" Use a pipe cleaner to check your fluid level. Bend the tip, and then dip it in the well while the car is on a level surface to make sure the fluid is even with the bottom of the fill plug.

It's very easy to get the old fluid out. Very hard to get the new fluid in. During my change, I had to have a helper send "gulps" of fluid down to me from inside the passenger compartment with a 3 foot long fill hose. (Fortunately, I had the center console out.) There isn't enough space beside the transmission to get a bottle upside down with a normal short fill hose. """""


I used a pump to get the new fluid in. I also spoke to Tremec about fill 1/8" below fill hole, they said they never heard of that an recommended to fill until fluid was coming out of fill hole.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Pray ported TB/IM
TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers w catted con pipes
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #25
JCunningham


 
JCunningham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WNY
Posts: 6,698
GM says to fill until it comes out then remove 8oz. id go by Tremic though. maybe thats why we are having syncro problems.
__________________
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, American Racing Headers 1 7/8" long system w/ cats H pipe to Xforce resonators to Flowmaster American Thunder NPP mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, BMR delrin cradle bushings, Hurst shifter
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.