Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #57
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
I agree with demanding a new car. It'll never be the same again and if you were to ever sell it, it'll be in the carfax. I could understand if it was an older car but its 2 years old. Unless you really love that car demand a new one. It wasn't your fault, you didn't do it. If they refuse tell them you'll talk to your lawyer. This should scare them. If anything they will fix it and give you some sort of payment for their mistake. Id be PISSED if it were my car. I'm pissed that its your car!
A new car? No. The car can be fixed. As far as compensation, the owner can make a claim for diminished value, or perhaps the dealer can throw in an extended warranty package.

If the owner is not satisfied with that, the dealer may offer him a very good deal on similar new car, but free replacement of a 2020 model for a 2018, no, not going to happen.

As far as threatening to talk to a lawyer, well, that will definitely end any and all conversation, negotiation right there. The dealership will contact their lawyers before the owner can even google "lawyers near me".
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:27 PM   #58
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
A new car? No. The car can be fixed. As far as compensation, the owner can make a claim for diminished value, or perhaps the dealer can throw in an extended warranty package.

If the owner is not satisfied with that, the dealer may offer him a very good deal on similar new car, but free replacement of a 2020 model for a 2018, no, not going to happen.

As far as threatening to talk to a lawyer, well, that will definitely end any and all conversation, negotiation right there. The dealership will contact their lawyers before the owner can even google "lawyers near me".
But, but, but...suing is the answer to ALL our problems. Isn’t it?
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #59
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Okay, I'll revise my "new car" argument...

I'd tell the dealer I want full trade-in value (retail, not trade-in) for the car as it was when it was brought in, and pay dealer invoice or GM Employee pricing on the replacement, with all applicable incentives, etc.

Let them deal with trying to sell a damaged/repaired car. If they say it'll be as good as before once fixed, they should have no problem selling it off their used lot. More than likely they'll fix it as cheap as possible without reporting the damage, then pawn it off at an auction to another unsuspecting dealer.

It sure looks like that A frame (it's not a pillar but not sure what they call that part of the unibody) has been has been tweaked. It appears the hinges pulled the through-bolts outward and with them the sheetmetal.

Lol I get Gm employee pricing. Any dealer would gladly give you employee pricing to get out of that mess and sell you a new vehicle. It’s not what you think it is especially on a camaro.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:43 AM   #60
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I'm sure it's been said, but incase it hasnt, you need to have them pay for the depreciated value of the car. Now that it's been in an accident it will effect the resale value.

Personally, I'd be asking for a 2020 version of what you have with the amount left you have on the loan.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #61
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Years ago when I was a hotel manager we had a regular customer who drove some type of Chrysler van. He had purchased it new from a local Chrysler dealership. It was a POS. He had tons of problems with it. The dealership and Chrysler left him hanging. He had a custom paint job done. A big, big picture of a lemon on the side with the words "Yet another Chrysler Lemon" in great big letters. He liked to take it to the dealership and park it right next door, where customers would drive right by it when they pulled in. Sometimes he would leave it parked there for days.

I'm not sure what impact it had on their sales, maybe none, but I'm sure they didn't like it.

The moral of the story is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Get creative. Stay calm, no profanity, state your desired outcome and stick with it. If they won't honor that then from my perspective it becomes a 'by any means necessary' situation.

If it were me I might consider hiring someone to stand right next to their business (but not on their property) holding a big sign that says "this dealership wrecked my car and wouldn't make it right.' Maybe have a picture on the back side. I bet for less than $100 a day you could have someone out there all day Saturdays.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #62
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
I had a kid crash his bike into our new 2007 Odyssey years ago and put a nice long deep scratch in a rear quarter panel. We had it fixed properly and eventually I forgot about it. When we went to trade it in 7 years later, it was in excellent shape with fairly low miles. The dealer comes to the table after inspecting it and gives us a real low ball trade in value. I was pissed and asked him to justify his number. The first thing out of his mouth was that a rear quarter panel had been repainted. What I hadn’t noticed for years, he used against us right away.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #63
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
I had a kid crash his bike into our new 2007 Odyssey years ago and put a nice long deep scratch in a rear quarter panel. We had it fixed properly and eventually I forgot about it. When we went to trade it in 7 years later, it was in excellent shape with fairly low miles. The dealer comes to the table after inspecting it and gives us a real low ball trade in value. I was pissed and asked him to justify his number. The first thing out of his mouth was that a rear quarter panel had been repainted. What I hadn’t noticed for years, he used against us right away.
You mean he conned you. A 7 year old odyssey doesn't lose value for having minor paint work. He just found a way to pay you less and you fell for it.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #64
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post

Agreed. There is no damage to the frame so I doubt it will affect driveability in the long run.

Demanding diminished value compensation sound pretty reasonable.

And suing them will probably cost you way more than whatever diminished value you would get, and you are not guaranteed to win.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #65
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Pretty doubtful a dealership is going to take a hit on their insurance rates by claiming this, for that limited amount of damage. If that’s the case, zero report of damage and no depreciated value.
If the dealer reports or not, it is the OP responsibility to admit the damage if he sales the car, so your point is moot and the car will have diminished value, period.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #66
Psyhamster

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Hey ya'll. Thank you so much for the advice so far. This is something I was hoping I would never have to go through with this car, and don't wish it upon anyone.

Update so far is that I have an itemized list for their body shop's preliminary estimate. I will list below what needs to be repaired or replaced.

Left Fender
Left Emblem
Left Uni-side Panel Hinge Pillar (Possible Inner Pillar Damage)
Set up and measure of the frame/uni-body and a pull for the uni-body.
Left Door Shell

They have the Left Quarter Panel listed to blend with the replaced parts as well as the left roof rail, and a cover for welding.

Questions I have at this point are:

If its listing "Possible Inner Pillar Damage"; then is there a chance that no structural damage happened to the uni-body and the left side panel wouldn't need to be replaced?

If it does need to be replaced, how badly will it affect the car; would it not drive the same or cause other issues I'm not thinking about at this time?

What would they need to be welding on the car and how does that affect the integrity of the frame where its done?

I've spoken with my insurance company, and they have given the same advice for diminished values as well and it is something I am taking strongly under advisement.

Thank you again for your advice thus far!

| Mishimoto Catch Can | Roto-Fab Oiled Intake w/ Sound Tube Delete | GM Dark Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light | JWM LED Sidemarkers | 35/5 Ceramic Tint | AWE Track Exhaust w/ Resonators & Link Pipes |
Psyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #67
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I don't see the door panel and possibly the plastic knee pad? They have been damaged by the lift post. You might want to check that.

In my opinion, other that the fact that you know it has been damaged, if it is repaired properly, it should drive the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but chances are you are not a professional driver and might not notice the difference (I would not, and I doubt a professional will see the difference) (and don't take this comment personally, I am not saying that to insult you, I blame it on my "I'm a French Canadian" if that is how it turns out haha).

The only thing I can see if repaired properly is that the "look" of that pillar might not be 100% factory (even if all the critical sections are straightened, you might see some wrinkles of stuff like that from the pulling on the frame machine).

Keep us updated!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #68
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyhamster View Post
Hey ya'll. Thank you so much for the advice so far. This is something I was hoping I would never have to go through with this car, and don't wish it upon anyone.

Update so far is that I have an itemized list for their body shop's preliminary estimate. I will list below what needs to be repaired or replaced.

Left Fender
Left Emblem
Left Uni-side Panel Hinge Pillar (Possible Inner Pillar Damage)
Set up and measure of the frame/uni-body and a pull for the uni-body.
Left Door Shell

They have the Left Quarter Panel listed to blend with the replaced parts as well as the left roof rail, and a cover for welding.

Questions I have at this point are:

If its listing "Possible Inner Pillar Damage"; then is there a chance that no structural damage happened to the uni-body and the left side panel wouldn't need to be replaced?

If it does need to be replaced, how badly will it affect the car; would it not drive the same or cause other issues I'm not thinking about at this time?

What would they need to be welding on the car and how does that affect the integrity of the frame where its done?

I've spoken with my insurance company, and they have given the same advice for diminished values as well and it is something I am taking strongly under advisement.

Thank you again for your advice thus far!

There is no structural damage to that car. If there was they usually total it as there is no easy way to fix that and no one wants the liability with trying to fix it any more. Heavy Pulling on them is a thing of the past and you can’t do that on a car like that anyway. It looks way worse than it is as new cars designed to crumble and the car did not have a major impact. They will re skin everything, paint it and no one will be able to tell. I hit my own truck that was a lease pulling into my drive way and it looked way worse than that. When it was done you would not know the difference. If you don’t want the car now, have them give you market value (not trade in value) for your car on trade and get them to give you a deal on a new one.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #69
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
There sure are some wacky ideas throughout this post. Lol

“Your not a professional driver” Nope he’s a dissatisfied customer and the dealership is 100% at fault and should go above and beyond to make it right within reason.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #70
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah like the dealership should give him a new Camaro because they damaged his!