Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 Whipple SC
Methanol injection and protective clothing requirements.

I recently installed a methanol injection system on my car, I have not tuned for it so I am not running it. Last night at the drag strip the tech guy told me with any aftermarket fuel system you are required to where 3.2A/15 suit plus gloves and shoes. I have been looking through the NHRA manual and all I have found is this:
For any vehicle other than an unaltered full-bodied OEM vehicle with an unaltered fuel system using ethanol or methanol fuel blends in excess of 15% by volume such as E85, requires the same protective clothing as is required for 100% alcohol and/or methanol fueled cars. For ethanol or methanol fuel blends of 15% or less the Protective Clothing requirements are the same as those for gasoline. See Class Requirements.

Technical adding the meth injection altered my fuel system and I plan on doing E50 so this will apply to me from my understanding. So what are the requirement for 100% alcohol and/or methanol fueled cars and is everybody that is running methanol injection doing this?
647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
hmm. so a street car doesn't fall under the rule?

I don't think street class allows any alternate fueling. So he must have assumed your super stock or comp. which does away with "Any vehicle other than an unaltered full-bodied OEM vehicle with an unaltered fuel system".

So your seen as "any Aftermarket fueling using ethanol or methanol fuel blends in excess of 15% by volume such as E85, requires the same protective clothing as is required for 100% alcohol and/or methanol fueled cars." Guys who are using the E85 conversion kits just aren't get caught in tech.

If I took my flex fuel F150 to the track I would need a full suit to be on the premesis? doesn't sound right.

I can see the point then if they find an aftermarket kit, they will bounce you. A guy with his convertible corvette got bounced for not having a roll bar at NED and hes like 14 seconds or something.

50/50 water meth is non-volatile. Their house their rules i guess. Some of the tech guys are total yahoos. One night a guy on the staging lane was bitching people out for not backing on to the water patch.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
so far they haven't looked in the trunk on my DD and probably wont see nozzle tap where its going.

I think I found a rough table guide and it amounts to (washer fluid) being roughly metered at 30 meth 70 water which is about 15 percent injection.

then i found htis

Question: I have a 1963 Ford Falcon Super Pro ET car that I race at my local NHRA track. I want to know if the new aftermarket water-methanol injection is legal to use with my nitrous oxide system?

Ford Falcon Frank

Answer: Yes you can use an aftermarket water-methanol injection system. In the 2013 NHRA Rulebook, Section 4A, page 2, Induction, “Aftermarket water-methanol injection systems permitted. Must be installed and used per manufacturer’s instructions. Tank, pump, lines, etc. may not be mounted inside the driver compartment. When located inside trunk, a complete bulkhead of at least .024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum is required to isolate driver compartment from trunk.”

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

I read through section 4a at least half a dozen times. That is still in the 2020 rulebook, I just jumped past induction assuming it would not be there. I guess if they ask about it I will say it is water-methanol not 100% meth. With how hygroscopic methanol is it will have a little water no matter what, so it will be honest.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Clin5910

Drives: 2016 2ss, whipple supercharged
Just get a suit...if the worst happens and you end up trapped in your car full blaze you’ll wish you had one on.
Clin5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #6

A 3.2A/15 jacket and pants is $1200 + boots and gloves. A 3.2A/5 suit is $300 and I feel perfectly adequate a. Don't get me wrong I am all for safety, but I do not think that I need all the safety equipment that is required for someone that runs under 7.50 when I am only in the high 11s and should only be required to have only a 3.2A/1 jacket.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

Yeah, this was at wild horse.