Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Considering a Maggie

Hi Guys, I have a stock LS3 and have been kicking around the idea of supercharging it now that the prices of supercharges seem to be coming down a little, but I have a few questions. I know that it would prevent me from taking full advantage of the supercharger, but could I run it without going to headers, just stock manifolds? Its just a cost thing at this point. Also, I could probably install it myself, but I'll be honest, it scares me. How much do you think I would be looking at for an installed turn key set up? Is it mandatory to swap to stronger axles? Thanks in advance.
2010 Victory Red R6P 2SS w/RS package. Gloss black Rallys, 6 speed manual, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust, LS7 style blackout panel, SS emblems front and rear, Custom 69 inspired headlight covers, Vararam no tune, Hurst Short Throw, and MTI Racing rear spoiler, SLP Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Skirts
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Just bought a remanufactered one from Jessica at super charger connection for cheap. I received it opened the box it looks brand new. My car is currently at the shop having it put on.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
kissmyss03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
u dont need headers, just works better with them. i ran a maggie 112 kit on my ls2 gto for about two years with factory exhaust set up.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
Just bought a remanufactered one from Jessica at super charger connection for cheap. I received it opened the box it looks brand new. My car is currently at the shop having it put on.
You can certainly do it yourself. Just need the tools. For me the hardest was removing the heater hoses and removing the crank bolt (I had to use a 3ft piece of pipe on a breaker bar to loosen it). If you eat your Wheaties you can even lift the s/c onto the engine yourself. I had a big bowl that day. If you have help, it's much easier. At the time, the s/c was the only performance mod I had, and it was great!

I will admit at one point I looked down at my new car and wondered what the heck I was doing taking the engine apart. That was about 3 yrs ago, and I'd do it all over again.

One advantage of installing it yourself is if you run into any problems and need repairs. I unfortunately had that experience, but Magnacharger stood behind their product. I was able to remove it and reinstall it after repair. Would have cost me a lot for a shop to do that since I did not buy it through them to begin with.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
The install isnt to bad actually. you do NOT need axles, or anything else, including if your just doing a blower and thats all.

ill be sending you a PM
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Where you live. If your close to wi I would love to help you. I have all the tools needed. I put a whipple on mine in sep and it was a piece of cake.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
you will be perfectly fine w/ just putting the blower on along w/ the fuel components it comes with obviously a tune will be needed.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
The majority of supercharger kits available are DESIGNED to be installed on 100% bone stock cars.

The SLP 2300 is the easiest to install yourself!

Even the tune will be fine if YOU are happy with the performance gains it yields.

Let me know if I can help you with your choice
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Install is pretty straight forward - only thing that can be a pain is pinning the crank....iirc the Edelbrock kit lists this as optional, trust me when I say this - DO IT..
ARH 1 7/8 w/ cats, Borla ATAK Axle Back, VaraRam, ECS Cam, JDP Halo Kit, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Ghosted SMD Side Markers, Reverse Lights, P13W Plasma DRL's, DRL Harness, Kenwood 9990HD, Scosche Kit, and tons more
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Like others have said, the install is no where near as scary as it seems. If you are basically (very basic) mechanically inclined, have the right tools (only a couple that I would suggest you pick up before just in case), and you take your time, you can get it done.

I know the Maggie install instructions cover all the basics with pictures. A buddy of mine and I did it on my car in less than 8 hours, and that was dealing with a 2 year old and taking a lunch break.

IF you think it's something you can or want to attempt to do your self, pick up a hose cutter, a swivel adapter with a 10mm socket for the rear manifold bolts and dig in.

The only other "trick" is install the heater hoses before you install the blower. Getting behind it afterwards is a P.I.T.A.

As far as headers and axles, you can get away with running the factory stuff. The tires will not hook up enough to snap an axle and the headers will keep you at just the right power level to have some fun and get used to the SC.

I'm over 650 to the wheels and still running the factory axels, a buddy is at the same level and still on the factory axels and clutch. We are both very hard on them, and they just take it and smile.

If you decide you want to pay to get the SC installed, it shouldn't run more then $800-$1300.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed
MY BUILD

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.asp...0003372_510988

I did the street brawler kit from jannetty and i build kitchens for a living

SO HOW HARD CAN IT BE ??

Check out page 38 to 41 of my build. Took my time and did it with some help from a friend . It feel great to do it yourself.

All the folks on here are a great source of info.

And for what it's worth all the tunes are free when it comes from Jannetty

GO FOR IT YOU WILL LOVE IT

ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
kissmyss03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
I love you you modified the factory engine cover. I my have to try that as well when I get the blower on
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyss03 View Post
I love you you modified the factory engine cover. I my have to try that as well when I get the blower on
Yeah did you do those yourself? Are they they OEM covers modified or did you purchase them from Jannetty painted?

Thanks and looks great.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed

Did the work myself ..........a little bit of time and a couple of mounts . I drilled out the fake bolts and put real ones in and some are used to hold them on .

It's a factory cover and i had a friend make the Jannetty stickers
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote