Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Use of Pressure Washer for "Quick Wash"

I'm really enjoying my SS 1LE (Hyper Blue). I don't think I 'm as serious as most of those on this forum about the appearance of the car. I have great respect for what you are doing but my car looks OK to me without clay bars, ceramics, etc. Please don't flame me. I love the pictures poster here but I don't see me spending that much time for perfection. The thing I'm working on at the moment is minimizing the amount of time it takes me to clean the car. I use a "typical" wax. Last time it was Mequires Ultimate Past Wax (Pure Synthetic Polymer) and expect that I will need to reaply every 3 or 4 months. After a quick wash, I blow it off with my back pack blower. I thought if I purchased a pressure washer, I might save some time. What do you think about doing the wheels and brake system with a pressure washer? It this is OK, please provide insight on the following: (1) What psi for the brake system (calipers, rotors, etc.). (2) What about using on the paint? If so, what PSI? If this is a horrible idea, please tell me why? I've had muscle cars for quite a while and have enjoyed working on them but I freely admit, I don't know that much about finishes, etc. and this is the first car I've owned with a braking system that is actually worth cleaning.
GAOLDGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I use electric power washer (sunJoe xp1300 or ..) for years. It's great for blasting off the majority of crpa that builds up as you drive. Great for cleaning wheels, so much less scrubbing required.

Electric is much lower pressure than gas powered, look for unit with highest flow rate you can find.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
GAOLDGUY

Vtor_ZL1, so with the washer you use, can you pretty much just blast the calipers and you don't need to reach in there with a rag and scrub them like I did a couple of weeks ago? That's what I want to avoid. Thanks for the answer!
Old 03-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
It's good for quick wash, looks good from 50 feet at 50 mph.

50/50 rule.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I use the wand at the do-it-yourself hand car wash. I avoid spraying directly on the car but do it at an angle from several feet away.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Keep the pressure off of the rubber trim around the windows.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
For quick caliper cleaning, swap out the dusty pads and coat the calipers. Then a light squirt with a hose is all you need.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
GAOLDGUY

Thanks for the reply. Coad the calipers with what?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
Thanks for the reply. Coad the calipers with what?
I have one coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black (now CS Ultra) ceramic coating and one coat of EXO v3 (now v4) hydrophobic coating on my wheels and calipers.

{edit: Not sure if the SS1LE has ZL1 brakes... }
The ZL1 pads are Powerstop Z26 1053 and 1835. ~$130 for all 4 corners.

My car is a show car / weekend cruiser and this combo makes wheel maintenance a breeze. Only need soap and water every other regular wash or so when road grease and grime builds up and then it's just a very light hand wash with car shampoo and a low-pile microfiber and/or one of these wheel brushes and leaf-blower dry. Pressure washing alone will not remove oils/grease.

Last edited by Gunkk; 03-04-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: SS1LE vs. ZL1 brakes
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
GAOLDGUY

Thanks Gunkk! Good info.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Use a foam gun in conjunction with a deep-nap microfiber mitt/towel, if you are getting a pressure washer. Loosens a lot of the dirt and reduces scratches.

Just regurgitating what someone showed me, recently. Me, I just use a garden hose with one of those aqua joe adjustable nozzles. More than enough pressure for me. Some meguiars car wash and then a quick detailer (Meguiars ceramic wax or Rainx waterless lol) is good enough shine for me
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote