Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Has anyone tried/bought the new Borla NPP Axle-back Exhausts?

I have the V6 1LE currently, with the stock NPP exhaust system. I actually don't hate it. I think it's probably the best stock V6 (NA) exhaust I've heard, but eventually I do want to switch to something a bit louder. I haven't just got a normal exhaust because I really like the ability to switch exhaust modes for early morning commutes vs. when I want to drive spiritedly.

Borla now has two systems, S-Type Exhaust part# 11930 and the ATAK® Exhaust part# 11931. Which both bolt to the stock pipes and still utilize the mode switch for the exhaust. I was just curious if anyone in the forum has one of these systems, with the stock pipes or with their X-Pipe as well. If so:
  • What is, in your opinion, the difference between the stock NPP, S-Type or ATAK? As far as loudness, tone, livability, etc goes.
  • In startup there is obviously a tone difference with S-Type being deeper and ATAK even deeper than that, but is that "deepness" kept throughout the rev range?
  • Are they really "Drone-free"? Valves usually close in 5 & 6th gear, even in track mode, so with them closed is it noticeably quieted as to not affect cabin talking or noise?
  • Is the quiet mode quiet enough to not upset neighbors early in the morning?
  • Hard to explain, but does it keep the weird effect from the NPP where it just sounds like normal exhaust noise until you hit ~5K then all of a sudden the tone switches and it sounds like a racecar? (I don't know what this is or where it comes from so it could re-occur in every aftermarket exhaust or just in the stock NPP system for some odd reason)

***I'm aware they have their YouTube video showing the different exhausts, I've literally been listening to it for the past hour trying to tell the difference between the S-Type and ATAK and I really cannot tell which I like more/if both are livable for a daily driver, so I'm just asking to see others' opinions.***
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Bains

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6T
Also interested in this. Bump!
Bains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
I don’t have the NPP version, but since no one has responded yet who does I can give my feedback for the non-NPP S-Types. There is 0 drone from the exhaust. Even cruising and lightly pressing the throttle it doesn’t drone. The volume is pretty tame unless you really get on it, and it does get pretty loud at WOT. It sounds great - nice aggressive tone, and with the A8 the pops between gear changes are louder. Startup is not too loud but I can hear it from inside my house if I remote start in the mornings. I’d say the tone is midrange heavy instead of bassy. None of the videos do the tone justice IMO though.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
I don’t have the NPP version, but since no one has responded yet who does I can give my feedback for the non-NPP S-Types. There is 0 drone from the exhaust. Even cruising and lightly pressing the throttle it doesn’t drone. The volume is pretty tame unless you really get on it, and it does get pretty loud at WOT. It sounds great - nice aggressive tone, and with the A8 the pops between gear changes are louder. Startup is not too loud but I can hear it from inside my house if I remote start in the mornings. I’d say the tone is midrange heavy instead of bassy. None of the videos do the tone justice IMO though.
Ahh everyone keeps saying just to get the Atak. You regret not going louder at all? I know without the NPP you're kind of stuck with the S-Type sound 100% of the time, rather than being able to engage a quiet mode so it was probably more feasible for neighbors and in traffic to not be annoyingly loud.

The stock NPP is like that where its not deep or raspy, just kind of middle-of-the-road, and not a ton of startup noise but enough to hear it. I just want to be able to hear it while mid-range accelerating instead of just at the top-end (don't want to have to go WOT and risk a ticket just to enjoy the exhaust a bit). You think the S-Type is loud enough for that or is it more relaxed in mid-range?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
You can definitely hear it in the midrange but my GMPP intake helps with that some I’m sure. I don’t regret not going with the ATAK at all, the S-Type is loud enough for me. I wasn’t looking to have the loudest car or anything like that, my goal was to be able to hear the exhaust when I’m accelerating and in more spirited driving and that’s what I get. I can hear my exhaust when I’m cruising but if you aren’t trying to listen for it, it mostly fades into the background tire and road noise. With a quiet mode I can see wanting to do for the ATAK version but if it’s much louder than the S-Type it must be pretty damn loud. Just as a reference point, my car before this was an Acura with a V6 that was straight piped after the front cats.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
You can definitely hear it in the midrange but my GMPP intake helps with that some I’m sure. I don’t regret not going with the ATAK at all, the S-Type is loud enough for me. I wasn’t looking to have the loudest car or anything like that, my goal was to be able to hear the exhaust when I’m accelerating and in more spirited driving and that’s what I get. I can hear my exhaust when I’m cruising but if you aren’t trying to listen for it, it mostly fades into the background tire and road noise. With a quiet mode I can see wanting to do for the ATAK version but if it’s much louder than the S-Type it must be pretty damn loud. Just as a reference point, my car before this was an Acura with a V6 that was straight piped after the front cats.
I'm the same way; I don't want/need the loudest car in the world. I don't want to be "that guy" annoying people around me, just want to be able to enjoy a nice exhaust note without having to go past 5K RPMs. If the S-Type is that loud compared to a straight piped Acura, I may not want to go with the ATAK and go pissing off neighbors .

Kind of annoys me that it's difficult to tell the loudness difference on companies' exhaust videos. Every aftermarket exhaust sounds loud as hell at WOT, I would rather see some videos of just semi-aggressive driving around to see how it sounds in day-to-day life instead of the noise you're going to hear max 10% of the time.

Last edited by 302Blue; 10-15-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Definitely going the ATAK Dual Mode exhaust. I still need the option to quiet her down a touch so that the neighbors on the corner don't report me to security for being noisy lol.
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicaysen View Post
Definitely going the ATAK Dual Mode exhaust. I still need the option to quiet her down a touch so that the neighbors on the corner don't report me to security for being noisy lol.
I probably won't be getting mine for a bit, going to have to wait till the lease is up. Any chance you could let me know your thoughts on the ATAK when/if you get it before I do?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
verdicaysen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post
I probably won't be getting mine for a bit, going to have to wait till the lease is up. Any chance you could let me know your thoughts on the ATAK when/if you get it before I do?
Count on it. I'll probably be doing it here in November before the freezing temps set in. I don't have the best recording equipment but i'll try to get a couple clips just on the phone and what not but it won't be quality. I'll be as detailed as possible. I'll be testing it from warm start (cuz cold start seems to be so isolated so why would you even care?) as well as calm low RPM driving up to 4K through to 6800RPM. I'll also put her in stealth just to get some differences. To be honest I think Stealth mode in the stock exhaust sounds more like the stock V6 Dodge Chargers. They're very quiet.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the ATAK sounds like in real world driving scenario's.

Last edited by verdicaysen; 10-15-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicaysen View Post
Count on it. I'll probably be doing it here in November before the freezing temps set in. I don't have the best recording equipment but i'll try to get a couple clips just on the phone and what not but it won't be quality. I'll be as detailed as possible. I'll be testing it from warm start (cuz cold start seems to be so isolated so why would you even care?) as well as calm low RPM driving up to 4K through to 6800RPM. I'll also put her in stealth just to get some differences. To be honest I think Stealth mode in the stock exhaust sounds more like the stock V6 Dodge Chargers. They're very quiet.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the ATAK sounds like in real world driving scenario's.
That sounds awesome man. I'd really appreciate anything you'd have. I've got the same thing where I'm more worried about real-life stuff like warm starts and lower to mid RPM driving rather than all the top end WOT pulls shown in Borla's videos.

Also, completely agree on the stealth mode thing, it's too quiet - but I gotta say any stealth mode is really nice to have to when you have to get on it get on it for some reason and then see a cop, or when you're just trying to drive through the neighborhood. Kind of a "Oops, please don't notice me" button. Idk why Dodge makes their V6 exhausts so crappy when their stock V8 exhausts aren't actually horrible from the factory. They've got a nice grumble/growl when people get on it in those, so why not open the V6 up a bit just on the top end where people would want it?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
verdicaysen

Got my install date scheduled. November 8th. So I can post something up that weekend on the 10th. Getting the Dual Mode NPP Axleback ATAK Exhaust.

Tags
axle-back, borla, exhaust, npp, v6 1le