Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
metrogdor22

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Clutch noise at 2k+ RPM

Hi all, this is my first post so I apologize if I make a mistake here.

I have a 2013 2SS M6 equipped with the factory Hurst shifter that I'm getting weird noises from. I bought the car recently with only 13k miles and have put 4k on it. When I first bought it, I noticed a rattle coming from the bellhousing area that started at about 2k RPM, got louder and faster with higher speed, and went away (or maybe the exhaust got too loud to hear it) after 4k RPM. After doing a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, the noise is starting at lower and lower RPM.

It's not a throwout bearing, as it does it while I'm driving with the clutch pedal out. I thought an input shaft bearing, but surely even if the car was driven hard, 14k miles is way too soon for an input shaft bearing to go out. Now I'm thinking it's something wrong with the clutch. When I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speed like in a parking lot, I hear a loud rattle if I press the clutch too quickly. I know that's a common issue, but adds to my hypothesis of some kind of clutch problem.

What do you guys think? I didn't find anything by searching here or Google.
metrogdor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
zenben

Drives: 2015 2LT
My rattle took 2 years to fix. Came from the center tunnel area which is what I think you are describing. Mine was engine under load 2800-4000 rpm. Any gear.
The fix was to replace the left side cat right off the engine. which now no longer has a heat shield installed around it. GM changed the part. PROBLEM SOLVED. I now have a car that doesn’t sound like it has aluminum cans dragging underneath it. I have a v6 M6 2015
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
lol...I had a bad cat too that rattled like a mofo...ARH H/F cats took care of that...OP I recommend this first...http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html then if everything is lookin good take your car out somewhere remote and after makin sure the motor and more importantly the trans fluid is warm? DRIVE the piss out of it lulz! do 4 or 5 good 1-4 max rpm shifts and get that clutch workin! also make sure to include some good down shifts...either she'll clean up or what ever is actin up will hopefully become more identifiable or better yet just break...lol rather happen under controlled conditions the out in b f Egypt....peace
Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
metrogdor22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
lol...I had a bad cat too that rattled like a mofo...ARH H/F cats took care of that...OP I recommend this first...http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html then if everything is lookin good take your car out somewhere remote and after makin sure the motor and more importantly the trans fluid is warm? DRIVE the piss out of it lulz! do 4 or 5 good 1-4 max rpm shifts and get that clutch workin! also make sure to include some good down shifts...either she'll clean up or what ever is actin up will hopefully become more identifiable or better yet just break...lol rather happen under controlled conditions the out in b f Egypt....peace
Thanks for the advice. After giving it a good pull or 2, the rattling now starts at just above idle. The clutch is slipping. When in neutral, if I push the clutch in and wait for a few seconds I'll hear a distinct rattle that slows down to a stop. Put a penny in your dryer, let it get to max speed, then turn it off. I'm certain there's something broken in my bellhousing.

Any clutch recommendations? A reputable shop near me recommends a Monster that would cost $2k + $600 labor. I'm sure it's a great clutch, but I'm looking for something more in the sub-$1k range that'll hold 500whp.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrogdor22 View Post
Thanks for the advice. After giving it a good pull or 2, the rattling now starts at just above idle. The clutch is slipping. When in neutral, if I push the clutch in and wait for a few seconds I'll hear a distinct rattle that slows down to a stop. Put a penny in your dryer, let it get to max speed, then turn it off. I'm certain there's something broken in my bellhousing.

Any clutch recommendations? A reputable shop near me recommends a Monster that would cost $2k + $600 labor. I'm sure it's a great clutch, but I'm looking for something more in the sub-$1k range that'll hold 500whp.
monster is good but that price is outrageous. contact them for a much better price

spec single disc clutches are also a good choice. they have a ton of options so its best to call them as well.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
metrogdor22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
monster is good but that price is outrageous. contact them for a much better price

spec single disc clutches are also a good choice. they have a ton of options so its best to call them as well.
I took a second look at the quote and that $2k is for a 700+lb-ft twin-disc AND a $450 slave cylinder. That car only has 17k miles on it, and my long-term power goal is only 500whp/450tq all motor. I know it's best to get a clutch overrated for the application, but is that really necessary? And is a slave cylinder likely to go out with so few miles?

What are your experiences with Spec clutches? The shop was pretty adamant on the Monster, but Spec has a single-disc rated for 600lb-ft with a steel flywheel for $600.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
metrogdor22

I had the clutch replaced, and the noise still exists, but I'm happy to know it's at least not the clutch about to explode.

Tags
2ss, clutch, manual, rattle, transmission