Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Back To California Emissions advice?

Well after much thought I'm deciding to go back To California, trying to decide what's the best plan of action for the car. currently have CAI GM installed pretty sure that must be removed, I have ATAK on the way with 2nd cat delete but they are backed up I assume I should change that to with cats ...... Pretty sure registration taxes will be annoying , and cant decide between shipping it or driving it as the roads are just straight anyway with more rock chips....
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
All I see are statements. What are you seeking advice on?
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
All I see are statements. What are you seeking advice on?
Take CAI off do i have to RETUNE at dealer?

Borla ATAK I assume I should change to with CATS vs 2nd delete?

Ship or drive car?

Maybe even sell prior as taxes will probably be the same with registration fees
Old 09-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Welcome back to the state of emissions hell whole. You should be fine if you don't get cited and have to see a state ref (then you would fail the visual). If you know the smog guy and he doesn't ding you on the visual, then you should pass smog since you didn't delete the primary cats.

I have the GM intake, my dealer doesn't really mind and worse case scenario, take it off. I heard a rumor that GM is trying to make the intake 50 state legal but it may be dif for CARB states.

I would ship it, saves the miles and the tire wear.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
I'd sell and start over with a Cali car. Then you'll have no concerns over the smog nazis.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
JeromeS13

It's not really a big issue. New cars are exempt for quite a while. However, bringing a car in from out of state still requires an initial inspection... If OP were to sell the car and start over, he'll likely be $5-7K upside down.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
These cars are 50 state legal, so I don't see a reason to "start over". But arent you the guy with all the problems that wanted to sell it a few months back? Maybe you are just looking for excuses to get something new?

If you decide to bring this car, put the stock intake on and just to be safe leave the stock exhaust until you get your smog done, then do whatever you want until you have to smog it again 5 years later. You will need a smog to get the car initially registered in CA.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
if you do have to get inspected, you will need to replace the cats and remove the intake (they'll fail you on the visual for sure). After that, you can do what you want and be fine for 4 years, but know that you'll need to undo the mods when/if you sell the car.

Or, if you're headed to my neck of the woods (SF bay area) join the norcal Camaro facebook group and ask around to see if you can find a more helpful smog tech in our local area who may be able to...help...
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Drive it!

"I remember one time back in 2017 when I drove my Camaro across country ..."

These are the opportunities for lifelong memories.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
if you do have to get inspected, you will need to replace the cats and remove the intake (they'll fail you on the visual for sure). After that, you can do what you want and be fine for 4 years, but know that you'll need to undo the mods when/if you sell the car.

Or, if you're headed to my neck of the woods (SF bay area) join the norcal Camaro facebook group and ask around to see if you can find a more helpful smog tech in our local area who may be able to...help...
Yes back to the BAY...great idea i will

Stupid question, if i paid taxes in GA , do I have to pay taxes again when I register in CALIFORNIA?

So your saying that I can keep the 2ndary cat delete and possibly pass ?

Pretty sure out of state vehicle has to have the wire in the pipe measure and visual?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
These cars are 50 state legal, so I don't see a reason to "start over". But arent you the guy with all the problems that wanted to sell it a few months back? Maybe you are just looking for excuses to get something new?

If you decide to bring this car, put the stock intake on and just to be safe leave the stock exhaust until you get your smog done, then do whatever you want until you have to smog it again 5 years later. You will need a smog to get the car initially registered in CA.
Car is perfect , my ceramic coating is excellent everything is 10/10..... I would hate to lose coating and clear bra I cant WAIT TO DRIVE IT BACK HOME IN CALIFORNIA!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
JeromeS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
Yes back to the BAY...great idea i will

Stupid question, if i paid taxes in GA , do I have to pay taxes again when I register in CALIFORNIA?

So your saying that I can keep the 2ndary cat delete and possibly pass ?

Pretty sure out of state vehicle has to have the wire in the pipe measure and visual?
If you've previously paid taxes, you should be fine.

From what I recall, they only plugged in to the OBD-II port. I don't recall them putting anything in the exhaust or putting it on the rollers.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I would have a 100% stock exhaust with every cat just to be safe.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
formoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post

If I have to put the stock intake on do i have to re tune it ? Will there be a CEL?