Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
1LE - Driving Modes/PTM demystified

Personally, I have found the info re driving modes in the official car manuals rather confusing. So this is my layman effort to present the info in a more comprehensive fashion - hopefully...

Note that info is split between a main Owner's Manual and a High Performance Supplement manual. So dont forget to read them both!

First of all, by pressing a Drive Mode button one can select 4 basic driving modes: Snow/Ice, Touring, Sport or Track. This will calibrate steering, throttle mapping and suspension to a given mode, but RETAIN all nannies such as TC and StabiliTrak in their NON TRACK, most intrusive levels. Also note, it is possible to lock Steering, Suspension and Exhaust sound into specific modes, using Infotainmemt settings menu. If you do it, they will stay in those settings permanently and won't be over ridden. For example, many prefer Touring mode for steering effort. This means the steering mode will stay in Touring, even if you select PTM, or other track modes.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you pre-select exhaust to a stealth mode, make sure to turn this selection off before any spirited driving, as the baffles should be fully open for any performance driving!

Furthermore, there are 3 distinct track/performance driving modes available on an SS 1LE to further fine tune the drive modes, designed for track duty:

1) ALL NANNIES OFF (no traction control, no yaw control via StabiliTrak system, eLSD in mode 2 (details in HP supplement and below). TO ENGAGE THIS MODE: press TC button and hold it for 5 seconds until both TC and StabiliTrak symbols light up on a dash. With this mode you're on your own but eLSD will still assist especially in exits. But other than that, it is up to your talent to control any over slip, or loss of grip!

2) COMPETITIVE MODE: this turns off TC but keeps StabiliTrak on, while engaging eLSD mode 4. Unlike PTM, this choice gives you access to full power at all times and it is 100% up to you to control it.To ENGAGE THIS MODE: select SPORT via mode button then press TC button TWICE. A dash msg should confirm you're in Comp Mode. Or, you can also select it from TRACK mode by pressing TC button ONLY once. Note no message will be displayed, but the car is now in Competitive Mode.
This mode is very handy to access full power by giving up all TC, but retain yaw control nanny (StabiliTrak).
This is the same as the old Corvette Comp Mode.

3) PERFORMANCE TRACTION MGMT (PTM). This allows a wide range of choices wrt TC/StabiliTrak and for each, the power is managed differently and eLSD also provides for 2 varieties (wet and all the others). TO ENGAGE it: go to Track via Mode button then press TC button twice. This will open PTM menu. Scroll down or up to select one of available choices (explained in HP supplement, detail descriptions from a GM engineer immediately below and also summarized in a table in post #4 below). Note that the power, TC and StabiliTrak vary depending on the choice selected and in some selections StabiliTrak gets turned off.
Once your choice is highlighted, the mode is loaded. It is not necessary to confirm, or select it in any way. However, if you press select button on the steering wheel, the PTM menu will close and your previously selected regular dash menu will appear. Such as tire pressures, oil temp, etc.

NOTE: make sure cruise control is turned off! If you leave it selected on and happen to engage it accidentally while on a track, PTM will turn off and all nannies will turn on again!

NOTE: each time you turn the car off, all systems will reset to standard settings and all nannies will be on again. There is no way to lock any of the PTM or Competitive modes.

FYI:
The biggest difference between #2 and #3 are as follows:

1) Comp Mode is static. Your R foot controls power delivery and 100% of it is available. But StabiliTrak is always present in case the car gets pear shaped. But be careful as you can still spin out as it is UP TO YOU to manage power delivery.

2) PTM is dynamic in terms of power delivery on exits even in Race mode through engine torque/TC/E-LSD management. HP supplement gives good suggestions on how to maximize it as the car decides how much power you have access to, NOT your R foot. But, to have access to best power (and let PTM dish it out for you) you need to be in Race and give up StabiliTrak (ditto Sport2 but with slightly less aggressive power delivery). NOTE: in PTM Race, the TC is in a full race calibration. This means it will allow some slip levels. This also means, it is possible to spin out, especially on overworked tires and a driver will have to correct the slip as necessary.

IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFO:
************************************************** ****************************************

Here's some excellent info on the subject of PTM from Corvette Forum as presented by a GM engineer responsible for the system. I suggest reading the whole response, but pasted PTM specific info below for ease of reference. NOTE: is you use PTM Race and think the car pushes/understeers, read Special Notes below Race mode explanation on how to get the most out of this mode PROPERLY.

WET: This mode is intended for any driver who is on a wet track. The track should be wet enough to be glossy, not just damp. A damp or drying track will require the driver to decide between WET and DRY modes to get the best performance. Standing water is not recommended as hydroplaning is possible and no TCS system can accurately control a tire that is hydroplaning.

The slip targets are very low, lower than in standard TCS. The MR is in tour mode to maximize mechanical grip since the lower cornering forces don’t require the extra control offered in
Sport or Track. ESC is on and uses the normal calibration, not the competitive calibration.

DRY: This mode is for a novice driver on any track or an experienced driver learning a brand new track. I also use it to warm up the tires or run the mold release off of
new tires, especially if it’s cold out.

Slip targets here are very similar to normal TCS but will feel very different due to the entry prediction. MR is in Sport to compliment the usage we expect in this mode. ESC is on but uses the competitive calibration.

SPORT 1: This mode is for any driver who is ready to run very competitive lap times while still having stability control on in the background. I use this mode whenever I have a passenger, possible distractions such as data collection, or as I am continuing to become more familiar with a new track.

Slip targets are higher here than in normal TCS. MR is in track mode and ESC is on using the competitive calibration.

SPORT 2: This mode uses the exact same traction control settings as SPORT 1 but turns off ESC completely. This mode is designed as a way to turn off ESC while maintaining a fairly stable TCS calibration. I use it very often. Basically any time where tenths of a second are not critical to my testing or when the tires are getting too hot or wearing out. After 10 to 15 consecutive laps it is likely that your fastest times will be achieved in SPORT 2 rather than RACE.

Slip targets here are the same as SPORT 1. MR is still in track mode and ESC is turned OFF.

RACE: This one is pretty self-explanatory, it’s as fast as we know how to make the car go. This mode is for a well prepared car on relatively new tires with an advanced driver that is completely familiar with the track. The track should be somewhat warm and the tires should be up to temperature.

Slip targets are 100% optimized for forward acceleration, any small variances in the track or tires can result in momentary overslip that will have to be managed by the driver.

A few notes about RACE mode: I approach this mode as a tool to go faster meaning that I think specifically about it when I go to WOT and I try to change or optimize my throttle application point and steering to help the computer do its job. It can do the job better than me but only if I give it good information. A specific example is how I unwind the steering wheel mid corner and as the corner opens up. When learning to drive on track it is good practice to automatically unwind the steering wheel as you apply throttle regardless of the vehicle response (a string tied from throttle toe to steering wheel is the analogy used by some instructors). The problem in RACE PTM is that by doing that you are telling the car you are ready to go straight. It will add power and drive you to a wider line. The best results are found by holding the wheel as steady as you can and pointing the car to corner exit only when it’s time. Obviously you have to be ready to correct for overslip but as you gain trust you will find this is required less often than it feels at first. It is very useful to practice using PTM in the lower modes where you can focus on letting the car go where you point it and not correcting your steering too early.

We find that the calibration settings that achieve the fastest lap times often result in expert
drivers feeling like they are being held back slightly on corner exit. Most of the time that extra little bit of slip that an expert driver wants is over the traction peak of the tire and may feel good but is wasting forward acceleration. The restrictive feeling is not there as a safety net, rather, it’s as close as we can operate to the peak capability of the tire in a robust way.

Other notes: The eLSD “PTM mode” is only a slight alteration of its normal track mode. This alteration is required since it is likely to see engine torque values that would not occur without PTM. However, the philosophy of what it’s trying to do and how it’s controlling vehicle dynamics does not change between PTM and TCS/ESC OFF mode

full article is here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/ask-tadge/3699824-answered-how-do-the-various-ptm-modes-change-parameters-when-in-track-mode.html

eLSD Modes Explained (thank you post #93 contributor!)

eLSD modes change automatically when the traction control button is pressed as follows:

– Mode 1: The standard mode when the vehicle is started. Emphasis is on vehicle stability. Also used in PTM wet mode.
– Mode 2: Engaged when both TCS and StabiliTrak® are turned OFF. Provides more nimble corner turn-in, and is biased for better traction out of corners.
– Mode 3: Engaged when PTM is engaged in Dry, Sport 1 & 2 and Race Modes. Nimble calibration with similar functionality as eLSD Mode 2, however it is integrated to work with PTM.
– Mode 4: Engaged when TCS is selected OFF, but StabiliTrak® remains ON. Vehicle stability is still the priority, while allowing for optimized traction out of corners.

eLSD and Wheel Slip

The upper eLSD display indicates the eLSD clutch locking percentage. The lower wheel slip display indicates the rear tire slip compared to the speed of the front tires.

PTM modes table for a quick reference below.

A highly comprehensive table on all driver set up choices attached below, as prepared and fine tuned by Turbo2ltr member. See post 242 for the native zipped file.
Attached Images

Last edited by TrackClub; 10-09-2020 at 09:04 PM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Wasn't aware of #2, thanks!
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
TrackClub

There is yet another mode, but don't know if it is the same as Comp Mode in Sport or not as no dash msgs come up: in Track mode press TC button once which disables TC but presumably maintains StabiliTrak. But I don't know what happens to the rest of the setting by doing it. It COULD be the same as Sport Comp Mode with everything on Track via infotainment screen?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Where is your info on comp mode coming from?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Where is your info on comp mode coming from?
The manual and the car's dash msg.
It is defo there and available!
Very surprised nobody has mentioned before.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
That's what I posted in an earlier thread, but thx for sticking it here as a ref. BUT: this refers to PTM *only*. As in option #3 in my OP. Cheers!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
WhyUMad1LE

I mentioned comp mode before but no one listened to me. Lol
Old 06-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
TrackClub

Quote:
I mentioned comp mode before but no one listened to me. Lol
I stand corrected! Well, maybe now they will listen to ya LOL!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I stand corrected! Well, maybe now they will listen to ya LOL!
Yeah the engine response is very good in that mode, it feels the most natural to me. Just don't get crazy until the tires are warmed up.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Yeah the engine response is very good in that mode, it feels the most natural to me. Just don't get crazy until the tires are warmed up.
Agree that's what older Vette's had and it was simple yet effective and not restrictive.
How do u engage yours? Per my #2 or from Track mode?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
seanblurr

SO yall are saying comp mode is more track worthy than Track: PTM Race???
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
SO yall are saying comp mode is more track worthy than Track: PTM Race???
Can't say as I haven't tracked mine yet.
But I'd rather deal with yaw control (if it is not very intrusive) but have access to full power with my foot any time - assuming I still want some "insurance" to save my ass when my talent runs out. But it may depend on specific calibration and driving style. In my old Vette I was as fast with it on as off, yet it did at times help me in high speed sweepers. I will defo try both and see which one I like better. But at this stage I am just an arm chair driver re 1LE
Old 06-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
seanblurr

It wouldn't make sense to me for GM to engineer the car to be better on track in Sport:Comp mode compared to Track:PTM.