Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
there is probably a disclaimer:

Aftermarket Non-GM Parts/Accessories
Many cosmetic-type non-GM aftermarket accessories are approved for Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. In cases where the aftermarket accessory detracts from the appearance, lowers the value, or is not operational, the accessory must be removed (i.e., holes, marks). All accessories must meet approved GM engineering standards (must past inspection) before they can be sold as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. If a non-GM accessory is not on the list below and installed on the vehicle, the accessory will have to be removed or the vehicle is not allowed to be certified.
Note: A disclosure must be made on the Bill of Sale to the consumer that non-GM parts and accessories have no GM Warranty. Please refer to 172 Point Inspection & Reconditioning Checklist.
A reverse light is not cosmetic?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
you should have a copy of the inspection, you may have to go to selling dealer to get resolved.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
A reverse light is not cosmetic?

True, but why not put in a OE reverse light, because cosmetically it looks different? if its GM its covered, if not its not. Take it to the selling dealer, they are the ones that sold it and need to make good.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Why would GM replace faulty aftermarket stuff period, let alone at a dealer that didn't even sell the car? It's not like GM has a stack of Oracle lights in their parts inventory. You knew they were aftermarket when you bought it, so obviously they aren't pieces that would be covered under any GM warranty. You might have an argument if you had no idea they weren't factory installed lights. I'm sure any stock GM pieces that are faulty would be covered. It's certainly not GM's fault your aftermarket lights failed, nor their responsibility to replace them. They really shouldn't even replace them with GM lights as GM lights aren't what failed.

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to side with the dealer on this one.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Drives: '14 2SS/RS L99
I see what your argument is. The dealer you bought it from certified it and probably did so to up the selling price. There are cars out there that are stock and isn't certified so I would wonder what indeed did certify it. If it is not a certified car under whatever laws GM has then the dealership owes you money. money u could use to buy the new lights you need .

but seriously I would call the dealer you bought it from (it is waaayy better to go see them) and ask them what could they do if anything to make it right. if not call it a lost but I would do the same and try to fight it 1st. But you probably will end up having to buy it yourself. Just be prepared to do so.
kville988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #20
Z65

Drives: '15 1SS/RS A6 CRT, '88 Monte SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr1 View Post
I'm just curious, what are the requirements and what exactly is covered on a Certified Pre-Owned car?
"Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Pontiac and Saturn makes and models that meet our rigorous Certified selection and certification criteria. The vehicle cannot be more than six model years old, and it must have 75,000 miles or fewer on it, and a clean title."

http://www.gmcertified.com/frequently-asked-questions
Z65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #21
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The 172 point inspection process includes step 6 in the PRE-CERT candidate check (Called "Investigate Vehicle History". If any of the pre-cert checks don't pan out, the car may not pass the Pre-cert inspection thus not earn the certification. Someone had to have filled this out. The entire inspection form can be seen here: http://www.gmcertified.com/themes/de...list012913.pdf
I'd ask the dealer that sold you the car for this certification sheet to see what #6 says.
6 Is this vehicle free of any aftermarket modifications
like Body/Chassis lift kits, engine performance chips?
Certain modifications may cause the vehicle to be ineligible
for Certification. Refer to the Certified Pre-Owned
Operations Manual.
Acceptable Aftermarket Items:
2010 2SS TE, 1 of 822/2013 Camaro ZL1 vert, 1 of 54

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #22
Akatsuki

Similar incident happened to me. I was sold a 2011 Camaro SS as GM Certified, come into the dealership that I purchased it from for the free oil change. Same dealer tells me that the car is NOT certified preowned.

Luckily I had all my paperwork with me to show that the vehicle was sold to me as such. In short they said that they can't certify the car for me because of the aftermarket exhaust (Borla Atak) but they could either buy the car back from me or give me all the service as promised to me under certified preowned.

This was 6 months after the sale. I opted to keep the car as I was too attached at this point. But just wanted to share my experience. I never bothered to contact GM. I hope everything works out for you.
Akatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #23
CHV_FRK

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Well the certification can add about 1200 to the price of the car so I would look for a credit back or they can give you all new GM tailights and you hang on to the others and try to get a replacement. That disclaimer doesn't mean that much other than they didn't do their job correctly. Bank on that they did not disclose what items were not covered on the bill of sale and tell thim they either need to replace the light or compensate you for the removal of the GM certification.
CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
Had to take the car to a local dealership(Not the one I bought the car from) to get a reverse light replaced, which is an after market reverse light.

I had talked to the dealership I bought the car from, and they said the car was under the warranties and this vehicle could be taken to any GM dealership to be repaired. Well the local dealership said they can't replace it because it is aftermarket(which I thought they would say). And they said this car never should have been Certified.. Car has the 20%Tint, ORACLE High Power Tinted Reverse lights, ORACLE Concept side markers, Tinted Taillights, Borla Cat Back Exhaust, K & N CAI... So after a phone call to GM I now must wait for them to contact the dealership whom would not work on the car. So basically I got told a lie by the dealership in which I bought the car from.

The car does come up as Certified Pre Owned when they search in their system. And I do have paperwork from my purchase claiming it to be Certified Pre Owned, Can I take any legal action against the dealership in which I bought the car from, this is going to create a lot of head aches for me, and delay my desire to store the car for the winter, as I will likely be messing around trying to get the issue resolved with the reverse light.
DON'T despair.

A vehicle MAY have certain non-GM aftermarket modifications and still qualify as a CPO. It's up to the certifying dealer and MUST meet the GM CPO guidelines.

Take a look at the two PDF's I've attached. In particular, section # 6 on the Certified Pre-Owned 172-Point Inspection Checklist AND, more importantly, pages 12-18 of the Certified Pre-Owned Operations Guide 05-2012 v1 3 (the latter of which is the OFFICIAL GM CPO Operations Guide).

http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage

EVERYTHING can be dealt with. DO be patient. DO be polite ("you catch more flies with honey than with vinnegar" and you're going to have to deal with these people down the line when you take your Camaro in for service), DO be persistent and direct the service manager(s) to the appropriate section of the GM CPO guide.

If push comes to shove, it'd probably be a good idea to contact GM's CPO Customer Support directly http://www.gmcertified.com/contact-us or call 1.888.999.7880

Good luck and please let us know you things go.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 12-05-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #25
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
When you were thinking about purchasing the car I asked in the thread how is this car certified, because it shouldn't be...
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #26
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
When you were thinking about purchasing the car I asked in the thread how is this car certified, because it shouldn't be...
Yeah, hell the window tint after reading through the information provided above. It has 20% tint and Ohio is only allowing 50%

Window Tinting
Aftermarket window tinting must pass inspection. The dealer must ensure that tinting meets state/DOT standards of compliance and requirements regarding depth of tint (light to dark) and placement of tint.