Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2019, 01:17 AM   #15
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Also, I don’t really trust any reviews unless they are really consistent between magazines and surveys. One major reason I ordered a ZL1. Plus they do look badass.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Yes, but watching the youtube video linked above, a "problem" could be that you want larger cupholders or you are an old timer and can't figure out the hvac, etc.
This, if correct. So a group with better #s may have major or serious issues while so-so issues lowers others score. My last two GM rides (sub and CC) have had major, major issues. With the across the line up A8 issue, I do not trust GM. It Will take several years to see how this new and more complex DFM plays out.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #17
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Yeah cause they are priced VERY attractively and look awesome. ...
Great post.

Let's face it, a LOT of people driving full size trucks these days are not using them as trucks and could easily have gotten by with a Traverse or Equinox. Even a Colorado would have been overkill.
I'm no one to talk but at least I've hauled some loads in the bed of my 2017 Silverado already. My deceased 2000 Silverado saw some serious hauling in its (and my) younger days and was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #18
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
My bro in law that works at Honda told me they were living off their old quality reputation and the rest of the industry caught up, but damn.
I had a transmission vibration in my 2010 Honda Crosstour in its 8th year and 105,000 miles. They acknowledged there was a bearing issue with the early design of the trans and put a rebuilt transmission in for $200. They did it as good will. I didn’t have an extended warranty.

I’ve owned 2002, 2010 and 2014 Honda and they were/are all incrediblely reliable. I lost confidence in GM even having a fix for my 2016 SS A8 transmission so I sold it for a 2018 manual.

Here is a copy of the invoice for the Honda transmission replacement. This dealership has very good service.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Owner survey of problem areas after 3 years of ownership.
its after the first 10 years thats important.first 3 years its under warranty.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
its after the first 10 years thats important.first 3 years its under warranty.
Yep, agree with that. Especially if you prefer to keep cars long term, or you prefer to buy pre-owned. I was just answering the question about how the OP's original bar graph was created. It was from responses to a new car survey by JD Power.

Consumer Reports does surveys over longer spans if that's the data you're interested in.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
JD Power and CR are both reliable data source contrary to one post. But you have to understand what the data is.

As pointed out, the VDS is problems observed over 3 years. Basically the same thing in the new car survey. And yes it can be as simple as infotainment (CUE which Cadillac gets hammered for).

CR actually uses a review of the car in their overall rating, but again, they hammer cars for "rear seat room". Remember when the Gen6 launched and GM said you only get 1 for rear seat in a coupe so we didn't do anything for the rear seat. This is why.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...core-for-cars/

Not sure if it's still true, but CR didn't require you to actually own the car to rate it.

Years ago you could see thing like the Buick Century way up top and the Buick Regal way down at the bottom. Why? Same body and powertrain. Basically one had a bench seat and the other buckets and a console shifter and sportier appearance and handling. Built on the same line by the same worker using almost the same parts. Basically comes down to the expectations of the customer.

Both are sprinkled with bias, but JD Power is just data from surveys.

But here is another bias that is in the data. "Of course my Toyota is the best quality car made. That's why I bought it. Imagine if I had bought a domestic", and it gets rated accordingly by the owner.

Don't misunderstand, I've got experience with what Toyota does to validate their products and it's incredible. Toyota and Lexus deserve to be high on any list. GM has adopted many of those practices. (Long story) And I worked at Nissan many years ago. And back in the late 80s and through the 90s and early 2000's the US OEMs (now down to 2) handed the market to the ROTW due to quality. When I was at Nissan we had 2 benchmarking days, one for features and performance, the other for cost reduction. GM products were only brought in on cost reduction day.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #22
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I had a transmission vibration in my 2010 Honda Crosstour in its 8th year and 105,000 miles. They acknowledged there was a bearing issue with the early design of the trans and put a rebuilt transmission in for $200. They did it as good will. I didn’t have an extended warranty.

I’ve owned 2002, 2010 and 2014 Honda and they were/are all incrediblely reliable. I lost confidence in GM even having a fix for my 2016 SS A8 transmission so I sold it for a 2018 manual.

Here is a copy of the invoice for the Honda transmission replacement. This dealership has very good service.
Good points. Reputation says it all. And when looking at reliability Honda and Toyota still considered by many as the great choices. They forced all other makes to up their game so now you can be quit confident in your purchase regardless of brand. But if the purchase is between a Honda Civic or a Chevy cruze.....I'm taking the Honda everytime.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #23
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Had a 2001 Rendezvous (original owner) with bad gaskets at 45k miles (like many, many 3.0 V6's back then). GM wouldn't touch it: Too bad so sad it's out of warranty.

Had a 1991 Toyota 4Runner (original owner) head gaskets start to go south on me at 109k miles, way out of warranty. Got a letter from Toyota offering free repair w/ free loaner car.

Wife's 2007 Solara dash cracked at 120k miles. Just a cosmetic defect and also way out of warranty, original owner. Got a letter from Toyota offering free repair w/ free loaner car.

GM needs good dependability, because it doesn't stand behind its products like some others...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #24
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Surprised at Hondas low location on the list and especially Acura. Not surprised by Toyota and Lexus. Top notch.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #25
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zboy136 View Post

JD Power is a Joke. Always has been. Take this with a grain of salt. Look at other polls and it will be a different story. Lots of bias involved too. Not saying Chevy should not be where it is because mine has been great. Just saying I see other suspects who should be in a totally different position.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #26
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
JD power is the same BS company everyone makes fun of from the horrible Chevy ads. It is not a reliable source. Take anything they say with a grain of salt.
That must mean the Grammy's, or the Academy Awards or the CMT's are not legit either.

JD power is if not the biggest award you can receive in the auto industry, one of the top. It's not JDpower's fault Chevy has a horrible marketing team. Chevy like VW or Honda or Dodge, all mention their JD power awards in their ad's to promote. I'm not sure why you think JD power is bogus.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
My car has been appalling, but I know I've been unlucky. That said, I had a loaner 200 mile Impala with a defective moonroof seal and a ~1400 Cruze with a faulty proximity key system. I'm 3 for 3, including my lemon. I know 3 isn't a statistically significant sample, but how am I so much "luckier"?
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Two of the "best" cars I've owned were the worst for quality as far as problems experienced. 2013 Audi S4 and a 2014 Chevy SS. But a great dealership experience and two really awesome cars made up for it. Never stranded or towed just things that bugged me, some of which people probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm picky on fit and finish and NVH/BSR issues.

I had the doors refit on my 2017 Lacrosse simply because I'm picky about greenhouse moldings lining up perfectly. Most people wouldn't have thought twice about it. So I realize many of the complaints I have are me being picky. Now I should mention the EPS went out on both cars. The Audi in the first 300 miles. It was Audi's first attempt at EPS......swing and a miss.

That's part of the problem with surveys.