#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

AWE Tuning

Old 01-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #15
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I understand not producing cars that don't sell, but, my issue is why do you have to keep closing plants in North America (World class plants, awards to back up quality) only to move production to Mexico, other than to take advantage of "slave labour".

If GM is so inclined to the future with electric cars, than why are they scraping the Volt...seems oxy moron to me.

Everyone is entitled to their vision and opinion on the topic, but there will NEVER be another GM vehicle in my lifetime, when I can't support a corporation's way of doing business.
Brother you're a hundred percent right these other guys have no idea what they're talking about. The only thing driving GM to move to Mexico is corporate greed.

Mary Barra has a personal wage of 22 million dollars a year.

that's more than they pay the full Salo Mexico truck plant every employee contractor manager engineer everyone.

I salute you for seeing the truth these other guys want to drive there general motors vehicles even after they make them all in Mexico and put their fellow countrymen out of jobs. that's their money is their choice one day their jobs may be on the line.

but at the same time going into the future your money your choice do with it as you will I know I won't be buying any Mexican made vehicles.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Brother you're a hundred percent right these other guys have no idea what they're talking about. The only thing driving GM to move to Mexico is corporate greed.

Mary Barra has a personal wage of 22 million dollars a year.

that's more than they pay the full Salo Mexico truck plant every employee contractor manager engineer everyone.

I salute you for seeing the truth these other guys want to drive there general motors vehicles even after they make them all in Mexico and put their fellow countrymen out of jobs. that's their money is their choice one day their jobs may be on the line.

but at the same time going into the future your money your choice do with it as you will I know I won't be buying any Mexican made vehicles.
I am afraid Barra's compensation is no revelation.
Marchionne got $35mil 4 years ago, etc. And tons of CEOs right here in Canada make much more than Barra makes.

My point is: dont just pick on one company as ALL of them are doing exactly the same thing BECUASE OF COMPETITION and GLOBALIZATION. And pretty much all of them have set up shops in Mexico now and more are enroute to do the same. Just like most of businesses have set up outsourcing in Asia many moons ago. But, this hasn't stopped us from owning a phone, or jeans, or a TV, or whatever else...
So WHY make exceptions regarding cars all of a sudden? A car is just another friggin appliance!

I bought my "made in USA" Camaro and the fact that it is made there vs Mexico matters squat, as neither benefits our own country. But i am happy supporting NORTH AMERICAN companies with operations in NORTH AMERICA tied by a free trade agreement.

Maybe you'd be happy supporting Germany and getting a Bimmer, or Japan, or Korea and getting something else - well, to each it's own, as they say.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
TrackClub

For those that wish to gather some facts about Mexico's role in auto manufacturing: it started in 1910 with Daimler and Renault...Now Mexico is the 4th biggest auto exporter in the world. There is nothing "new" about auto manufacturing there at all. The list of makes that use Mexico for assembly is a long one. Latest additions are Kia and BMW. Chinese makes will be there too apparently - soon. Likely to export to USA and Canada:
https://offshoregroup.com/industries...ing-in-mexico/

Here's another thread worth reading: why GM needs to shed fat to be competitive (as they lag behind Ford and FCA not to mention Toyota and Honda). Better late than never...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki...-standing-pat/
Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I don't get people screaming bloody murder about GM.
Thousands of jobs, many thousands of jobs have left Canada solely to Increase profits of a company....for decades.
But in GMs case they have a plant that makes a product no one buys.
There is Zero option to keep a plant building a product that no one buys just to make union workers happy.
Even with our crappy dollar GM had to close it . It was bleeding that bad.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #19
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I don't get people screaming bloody murder about GM.
Thousands of jobs, many thousands of jobs have left Canada solely to Increase profits of a company....for decades.
But in GMs case they have a plant that makes a product no one buys.
There is Zero option to keep a plant building a product that no one buys just to make union workers happy.
Even with our crappy dollar GM had to close it . It was bleeding that bad.
Indeed Oshawa was a shadow of its old self with 2500 folks remaining. Too bad they cant offer them transfers as they did to US employees. However, they did invest new money in Canadian Tech Centre which is estimated to hold up to1000 jobs. And created Canadian student fund at $1.3 billion worth of funding to develop hi tech talent.

They are also building a new Auto Centre downtown.
It wont ease the pain of those losing their jobs, but new jobs are being created here nevertheless.

I hope GM gets the fat out and becomes as competitive as the best in the industry. This will pay benefits in new and improved products incl Camaros: here's hoping
Old 01-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #20
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Btw, both govs made a pretty good return on the bailout when they eventually sold their ownership shares. Wishing GM to go belly up and cause massive job losses in many countries -including ours - obviously NOT a good idea.
The Canadian and Ontario gov't did not turn a profit on the auto bailout.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle23828543/

The US gov't turned a profit on overall bailouts, but not on GM:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/20/b...ll-street.html

Honestly, if the bankruptcy had not occurred during the financial crisis, I think they should have let Chrysler go, there was nothing worth saving but the jobs. In this theoretical scenario, I'm on the fence about GM - they've showed some strengths, but they still have big problems.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #21
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
The Canadian and Ontario gov't did not turn a profit on the auto bailout.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle23828543/

The US gov't turned a profit on overall bailouts, but not on GM:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/20/b...ll-street.html

Honestly, if the bankruptcy had not occurred during the financial crisis, I think they should have let Chrysler go, there was nothing worth saving but the jobs. In this theoretical scenario, I'm on the fence about GM - they've showed some strengths, but they still have big problems.
Indeed. That's what i posted in the other thread: total 3.5B loss for both GM and FCA in Canada. Could have been smaller yet, had they waited. But balancing the budget for elections took priority apparently. Regardless, they managed to minimize the original investment loss.
NB this final amount is almost exact to what the Feds have been subsidizing oil industry with, every year, for many years now...Also agree: GM has a long way to become as cost efficient as the rest of their competitors, largely because they have too many plants for the number of vehicles they make.