Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
ZL1 1LE owner and GT350R owner review each other’s cars

A GM employee who owns a ZL1 1LE and a Ford employee who owns a GT350R drove and rated each other’s vehicles. Nice video. Fair reviews, although a couple things surprised me. Especially wrt rear visibility, interior design, and seats.

https://youtu.be/OoCjmJX_ArA
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
It was an interesting comparison for what it was, but reasonable traffic driving is not where this should take place, they should of at least gone 40 miles into the boonies where some relatively safe back roads driving could be done.

So conclusion, the R sounds good at rev vs the ZL1 which actually makes buku power... OK then.

Gotta agree that for old dudes the Mustang has less of a highschool package look. But if I was 20 years younger I want the highschool package look.

It was funny looking at the two dudes bouncing around in the Camaro, those DSV must be heck of stiff....

What do they do on the actual track, it would be interesting to take Joe Average and put them in both cars and see what they do a Willow? This is way over my pay grade but I assume that the ZL1 1LE is either just quicker or a lot quicker on most road races. This is far more relevant than a fat guy saying my seat is more supportive but tight on my butt, and the skinny guy saying well I move around on the Camaro seat. The fat guy "I don't like rev match", but the R sucks at heel toe... OK, these are not track focused cars they are really streetable race cars. Comparting them in suburban driving is like navel gazing.. interesting but not exactly exciting….
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 08-26-2018 at 12:02 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I enjoyed this review, but I can't help but have a problem with comparing to the ZL1 1LE. Yeah, the ZL1 1LE is Chevy's track-focused Camaro/ZL1 and the GT350R is Ford's track-focused Mustang/GT350... but, for what the ZL1 1LE is, it isn't the better to compare to the GT350R. I would have enjoyed the review more if it were ZL1 vs. GT350R as the cars are more equivalent. The ZL1 1LE, with the stiff bushings, hard suspension mounts, race-type dampers and race-type springs makes a very odd comparison on the street, where the GT350R is, although the track-est Mustang, is still extremely streetable.

A lot of attention was directed towards the ZL1 1LE's manners on the street, which I think was a complete waste of time in discussing. I would have rather heard their opinions on how Chevy's and Ford's versions of MRC felt. Furthermore opening the opportunity to talk about the chassis and suspension more. The focus of the ZL1 1LE's ill street manners diverted away from this potential discussion.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

I got the impression from some of the things they discussed that they did get some significant "Mexico" driving done in both these cars. Especially when they were talking about how the seats did or did not hold them. It wasn't on film, but I did get the impression from the conversations that each drove the other's car beyond the point that would be prudent to show on film.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'll take the ZL1 1LE any day over any Mustang.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Syphon23

Drives: 2008 Corvette
I'd take the GT350R over the ZL1 1LE. Mustang looks better and is far more comfortable. ZL1 out preforms it in every aspect, but Id still take the GT350R.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphon23 View Post
I'd take the GT350R over the ZL1 1LE. Mustang looks better and is far more comfortable. ZL1 out preforms it in every aspect, but Id still take the GT350R.
I’d take the GT350 over any Camaro... as long as it had the FP CPC “Aluminator” in it instead of the FPC Voodoo time bomb (sorry, but I wouldn’t want to rely on that engine, especially out of warranty). Too many horror tales from reliable sources.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
Sooo, the gt350 owner crashed that car the second week owning it at an autocross at MIS parking lot. . Typical mustang driver didn't know the car, turned traction control off, rear wheels got loose, slammed on the brakes, car flipped the other way hard. Ended up smashing into an ice box then thrown onto a fence, suspended in the air. Don't feel bad cause he was talking down to anyone whosecar wasn't as expensive as his.
He talks trash pretty bad for someone who can drive in this video
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I’d take the GT350 over any Camaro... as long as it had the FP CPC “Aluminator” in it instead of the FPC Voodoo time bomb (sorry, but I wouldn’t want to rely on that engine, especially out of warranty). Too many horror tales from reliable sources.
Invest in Halfshafts lol
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Mountain

This is bothersom:

As long as the engine blows under warranty, you’re fine? It shouldn’t blow and you shouldn’t have to worry about that. What happens when your warranty runs out? If, and that’s a BIG “if”, the aftermarket steps in to support the Voodoo and somehow finds ways to make it reliable, you’re gonna pay big bucks.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
This is bothersom:

As long as the engine blows under warranty, you’re fine? It shouldn’t blow and you shouldn’t have to worry about that. What happens when your warranty runs out? If, and that’s a BIG “if”, the aftermarket steps in to support the Voodoo and somehow finds ways to make it reliable, you’re gonna pay big bucks.
guess if you're that worried about it you could by an extended warranty.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Another instance where the Shelby is clearly out of its league. I loved the look on their faces when they stepped on it in the ZL1.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I'm sorry (not really sorry), but the ZL1 1LE looks way better in every single way. And I'm not saying it as a brand loyalist. The Shelby looks good no doubt. But it looks too soft and GT-ish. The ZL1 tho looks straight up mean and aggressive. From the front it looks just devilish!! Comfort...well I'm starting to wonder if these guys who test drive the ZL1 1LE are just a bunch of wusses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
guess if you're that worried about it you could by an extended warranty.
You should buy an extended warranty out of peace of mind. Not because you feel you have to.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'll take the ZL1 1LE any day over any Mustang.
Quote:
It would be a really tough call for me. Based on appearance, GT350R. But that’s because I think the ZL1 1LE appearance is a bit over the top. I get that all the wingy things are functional aero. But for the 0.x% of the time that I would push the vehicle anywhere near its limits, I’d be much happier with a ZL1 or even an SS.

In terms of performance, ZL1 (again, I’d pass on the 1LE). After that, I’d have to spend some more quality time with a 350R to get a feel for whether I’d be happier with that or a ZL1. It would be a high bar though. And I’m assuming no ADM, because that just ain’t happenin’.

The final determination would likely fall on the side of the ZL1 (no 1LE) for one very basic reason that’s already been mentioned. I don’t think I can trust the Voodoo engine. Too many excessive oil consumption and engine replace reports for my liking. It’s great when it works. It’s something I don’t want to have to deal with when it doesn’t.