Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #211
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
I honestly had no idea there were Blazer enthusiasts.
At Jeep week in Moab, Utah every spring, yes there's 40,000 Jeeps but there is a contingent of K5 Blazer enthusiasts.

My stepbrother lives in Phoenix and has a lifted Jeep, he hits Moab every year and I have gone with him a few times. The K5 Blazer support is real. And there is plenty of aftermarket support still available for them to do serious lifting, brakes, wheels, transmission, and engine mods.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #212
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
First reaction... this is a horrible exterior design. The designers appear to be putting in way too much overtime and keep adding more lines and vents and giant plastic things that are unnecessary. In fact, this looks like it could be a Chinese rip-off of a Lexus cross-over, that's how bad it is.

GM, come up with your own designs and remember simple is better.

Good luck with this, but I don't see it selling like everyone says.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #213
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
First reaction... this is a horrible exterior design. The designers appear to be putting in way too much overtime and keep adding more lines and vents and giant plastic things that are unnecessary. In fact, this looks like it could be a Chinese rip-off of a Lexus cross-over, that's how bad it is.

GM, come up with your own designs and remember simple is better.

Good luck with this, but I don't see it selling like everyone says.
Just curious, but what current CUV out there do you think is a well executed exterior design?

Or even if you don't want to answer that...do you feel any of the small to mid size Chevy CUV / SUVs are good looking?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #214

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I couldn't care less what any SUV or CUV looks like, or what they call it....Except in this case, a soccer-mom garden variety SUV gets the same "aggressive" front end look as a V-8 Camaro....

I think the re-freshed Camaro has been watered-down and neutered in the styling department with a grocery-getter look-a-like...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #215
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I'm on the side of "no, this isn't a Blazer". Those Blazer enthusiast like the old, big, beat the heck out of it, lift it, modify it, make it their own with lifts, winches, big tires, etc.

This looks like just another soccer mom delivery vehicle. There doesn't appear to be anything that even resembles the old Bronco. If you have 20 different SUV's pass me on the highway, and one of them were this, I wouldn't give it a second look, nor go "OMG, the new Blazer".

I think the expectation was it to have more "truck" like features. IMO. How you going to run some 44"s on this thing?
:v...
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #216
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Just curious, but what current CUV out there do you think is a well executed exterior design?

Or even if you don't want to answer that...do you feel any of the small to mid size Chevy CUV / SUVs are good looking?
I can't answer either question. But I will say that I believe these SUV's should resemble trucks more than sports cars. This current design (for all manufacturers) of taking a sports/muscle/pony car and turning it into a pseudo-4x4, is mixing 2 things that just don't go together.

They may sell now, but they are very 'dated', and in a few years these design fads will fade as quick as they came in. No more do manufacturers aim for timeless designs... they take the easy way out and base everything on current fads. And this new Blazer is the epitome of that.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #217
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
to be fair, this new Blazer is a CUV, not SUV
Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #218
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
I can't answer either question. But I will say that I believe these SUV's should resemble trucks more than sports cars. This current design (for all manufacturers) of taking a sports/muscle/pony car and turning it into a pseudo-4x4, is mixing 2 things that just don't go together.

They may sell now, but they are very 'dated', and in a few years these design fads will fade as quick as they came in. No more do manufacturers aim for timeless designs... they take the easy way out and base everything on current fads. And this new Blazer is the epitome of that.
Meh. I get your point, but these vehicles are today's station wagons. They are for hauling around the kids and getting the groceries. They are not trucks. The buying public wants them to drive like a car, so that's what they make. Hardly anyone takes their "SUV" offroad, and those who intend to can get a Jeep (like I did).The AWD makes them better in adverse road conditions, which is nice. I have no use for such a vehicle, personally, but a lot of folks seem to like them.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #219
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Meh. I get your point, but these vehicles are today's station wagons. They are for hauling around the kids and getting the groceries. They are not trucks. The buying public wants them to drive like a car, so that's what they make. Hardly anyone takes their "SUV" offroad, and those who intend to can get a Jeep (like I did).The AWD makes them better in adverse road conditions, which is nice. I have no use for such a vehicle, personally, but a lot of folks seem to like them.
This is, in my opinion, the heart of the matter. I think CUV is a misnomer for these types of vehicles. CUV is an industry insider categorization. I think the term Multi Purpose Vehicle is a better fit, but the MPV acronym has already been tarnished by cheap sub-minivan offerings in Eastern Europe.

People use vehicles a lot differently these days than they did when I was a kid. That means that the vehicles available to be used have changed significantly. I remember the station wagons, ranging from a Pinto station wagon up to a Buick Estate Wagon or Caprice Classic Station Wagon (huge beasts). I remember Electra 225 with doors that required their own zip code. There is no use these days for cars that fit those physical descriptions, but there is still a need to accommodate their utility PLUS additional requirements.

There will be some fad aspects to the design of these vehicles. Floating roof design, for instance. And the huge upright grills that I discussed in another post. But the idea of CUVs is here to stay for a long time. There are as people + stuff friendly as station wagons were in my childhood, but they are also fairly agile and can have a more sporting drive quality than the big station wagon “land yachts” of my youth.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #220
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I don't think anyone had posted the actual reveal press conference video yet. This was filmed by the guys at Motor1....

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #221
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/10/...#slide-7373365

Real world photos. Premier and LT trims.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #222
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Yuck.
Attached Images

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #223
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Yuck.
To each his own. I'd drive that in a second.

Those real world photos look good.

I think this will be well received.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #224
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Like I said, GM is going to make a fortune off this thing.