Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #729
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6ADDICT View Post
Curious, what did it cost to buy home chargers and installation? Haven't heard an exact amount from anyone yet. Thanks!!
IMO they should give you the charger when you buy the car. A battery powered object is worthless with out a charger
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #730

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Curious, what did it cost to buy home chargers and installation? Haven't heard an exact amount from anyone yet. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
IMO they should give you the charger when you buy the car. A battery powered object is worthless with out a charger
It has been discussed several times already in this thread. The price can vary depending on your set up at home, etc....And GM is providing chargers and installations in certain cases....You need to scan through more of this thread to find the posts that discuss this...(I'm not going to do it for you)...lol

Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:23 AM   #731
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
That guy's numbers don't add up, unless he generates electricity at home or has access to free charging. Approximately 70-100 gallons usually goes farther than 160 kWh at roughly $.15 per kW. 170 kWh, I felt bad about rounding down. About 2 "tank refills". People should include utility distribution (use a total price) for electricity cost.

Last edited by genxer; 05-26-2021 at 10:05 AM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:54 AM   #732
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
I have recently traded my '19 2SS in for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD. The car itself comes with a mobile connector. You can plug that into a regular 110 outlet but that's painfully slow. It only chargers about 4 mi/hr. Or you can plug the same mobile connector into a 14-50 240v NEMA plug(with an adapter) and it will charge 30 mi/hr.

Or you can buy a Tesla Wall Connector from Tesla for $500 and wire that into 60amp service and you will charge almost 50 mi/hr. Installation cost of this charges varies. My main panel is in my basement so I paid the electrician $1300 for installing a 60 amp breaker and running 4 gage cable from my basement to garage. He said cable prices shot up like lumbar prices so go figure.

I pay $0.05 per Kw so this $1800 installation cost will pay itself off really quick.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:42 AM   #733
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
So, the actual charger on a BEV is in the car itself. Most people think the adapter that you see plugged in is the charger but that is just an AC adapter. It feeds/adapts the AC from your house via 110/220 outlet to the onboard charger which converts from AC/DC to feed the main battery.

The adapter and a few plugs come with the car but you need access to a 220 outlet if you want to charge at any real speed at home. This is where the cost comes in and varies depending on you situation. Best case you have a garage and a service panel nearby with enough spare capacity to drop in a 50/60 amp circuits. If you do you add a breaker for about $20-30 and then some 60 amp wire to a NEMA-50 receptacle, which is about another $20 at Home Depot. If you paid an electrician for this scenario, probably a $150- $200. Now if you need a sub panel or much longer run where an electrician has to pull wire through an attic, etc. the cost is going up. It could be $1500 or more for something more involved. So the cost will be different depending on the situation but if you have a garage with a panel nearby with capacity you can away with very low costs to add a dedicated outlet on the wall. Some also share their existing dryer outlet which is typically a NEMA-30amp, which will charge the car at about 22 miles per hour. 50 amp gets you up 37mph and 60 amp 44 miles per hour with the onboard chargers in Tesla. I believe the Tesla Model S has an 80 amp option, which is ideal since those car now have over 400 mile capacity so it will take a while to charge them up from low levels.

By the way, the fast public chargers you see such as the Tesla Superchargers, they are fast DC chargers so they bypass the onboard charger in the car and DC to DC charge at a ridiculous 150-250kW. These are the chargers that can add 80 miles of range in 10 minutes. You pay for these, your credit card it tied to your car and account so it automatically knows who to charge when you plug in. The cost is calculated on the screen in in car as you watch the electrons being pumped into your battery. Charging at home is the most economical option, Supercharging is typically used by those those taking longer trips.

Good visual here.
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-c...nboard-charger

Name:  onboard-charger.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  35.7 KB
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6

Last edited by raptor5244; 05-26-2021 at 07:43 AM.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #734
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Unlike Cars there is a lot of Gamers that is not going to go well for those states at all and its easy to just have friends bootleg computer components from the other 44 states. Twitter is an uproar over it in that department.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #735
MR2Aaron

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS, 2012 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
All of the EVs on the market that I'm aware of come with a charging cable.

Teslas come with a cable (called the "mobile connector") that has the Tesla connector on the car end, and an interchangeable pigtail thing on the other. The pigtail that most come with is the one for regular 110V outlets, but I think they'll give you a different one if you ask for it when you pick the car up. You can buy other ones for about $30 so you can use dryer outlets. I just installed a regular-ass dryer circuit for my Tesla (NEMA 14-50), and used the cable that came with the car with the right pigtail.

You don't actually need the "Tesla Wall Connector" thing that you see in fanboys' garages or hotel parking lots. Those are a little faster than the mobile connector, but it doesn't make a difference in practical terms, because you'll be charging the car while you sleep if you do it right.

The Chevy Bolt and Nissan Leaf come with a similar thing. You can install a J1772 charger in your garage if you want, but any outlet will technically work.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #736
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Did the Tail of the Dragon with our Camaro Club a few weeks ago. When you see it…(hint…you should be looking at @8o’clock, near the white door)
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #737
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
The "TRASH" sign?
near the WHITE door on the left side of the building.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #738
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I'm not getting notice of replies to topics from Camaro6 any more, so please bear with me . . . I don't think I'm going to go through several more pages, not today anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Yeah, the screenshot with all the entertainment stuff is just a screenshot. For example, the system will not allow you to watch Netflix while the car is in drive. Voice commands are pretty useful so that you don't have to take your eyes of the road. You just say Navigate and mention the name of the business or address and away you go.
That may work just fine for you and maybe most people. But you should understand that voice to machine communication for me isn't anywhere near that good. I happened to find this little bit of humor while cleaning out, and it illustrates where I am with voice commands better than I could ever describe.

Quote:
The regen braking is something you get accustomed to pretty quick. Once you get used to it you realize it is very convenient for daily driving in traffic, etc. Tesla added the setting to come to a full stop and apply the brake hold so it is true one pedal operation if desired.
Just the idea of "getting used to it" scares me, on more than one level.

Quote:
Otherwise, you turn it off or leave it in creep mode so it feels like and automatic transmission at crawling speeds.
Well, yeah. But I don't own, or care to own, any vehicle equipped that way either.

Norm
Old 07-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #739
MR2Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Just the idea of "getting used to it" scares me, on more than one level.
Why? It always reminded me of engine braking in a manual transmission, which felt pretty natural to me, after 20 years of driving stick most of the time. The fact that it will brake all the way to a stop takes a little bit of getting used to, I guess, but it's pretty intuitive.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #740
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Why? It always reminded me of engine braking in a manual transmission, which felt pretty natural to me, after 20 years of driving stick most of the time. The fact that it will brake all the way to a stop takes a little bit of getting used to, I guess, but it's pretty intuitive.
It's more 'natural' with a MT because it's entirely a mechanical thing that goes hand in hand with anticipating the right gear to be in when you start to accelerate again. I'm sure I've mentioned that a modicum of "one pedal driving" does exist with MTs.

But with a MT you still have to use the service brake to get fully stopped and, for the most part, during normal decelerations such as approaching a traffic light or stop sign. To me, it's wrong to push use of the service brakes in those and other very common situations off into the background as this EV one-pedal driving threatens to let you do under many driving conditions.

Consider also delays in reaction time when the one-pedal driver suddenly realizes that he needs to brake harder than his EV setting is calibrated to give him. This is definitely a "use it or lose it" driver skill.

Norm
Old 07-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #741
MR2Aaron

Quote:
It's more 'natural' with a MT because it's entirely a mechanical thing that goes hand in hand with anticipating the right gear to be in when you start to accelerate again. I'm sure I've mentioned that a modicum of "one pedal driving" does exist with MTs.

But with a MT you still have to use the service brake to get fully stopped and, for the most part, during normal decelerations such as approaching a traffic light or stop sign. To me, it's wrong to push use of the service brakes in those and other very common situations off into the background as this EV one-pedal driving threatens to let you do under many driving conditions.

Consider also delays in reaction time when the one-pedal driver suddenly realizes that he needs to brake harder than his EV setting is calibrated to give him. This is definitely a "use it or lose it" driver skill.

Norm
So... Have you ever driven a car that has one pedal driving mode at all?
Old 07-27-2021, 11:34 PM   #742
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
I'm not getting notice of replies to topics from Camaro6 any more, so please bear with me . . . I don't think I'm going to go through several more pages, not today anyway.

That may work just fine for you and maybe most people. But you should understand that voice to machine communication for me isn't anywhere near that good. I happened to find this little bit of humor while cleaning out, and it illustrates where I am with voice commands better than I could ever describe.

Norm

Boy, you're right on with that comment about the voice commands. Every time I tell my Camaro to call a specific person or find a certain address, it always fails. I have better luck with google on my phone.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote