Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Little late to start this... But the quest for 10s in my 2018 M6!

I bought this car in January 2020 with 5k miles on the clock. Perfect combination for the color scheme. Mosaic Black 2ss with Adrenaline Red interior. Had all the bells and whistles. I immediately decided I didn't want to do much to this car. A few visual mods, maybe some wheels and let the warranty expire before I do anything major.

I tried to stick with that. I really did. I started with some basics. OEM dark tails and 3rd brake light, diode dynamics led marker lights and red Sema Grill.

I just couldn't be sated there. Now, covid was in full effect and I was stir crazy away from work. ARH had f*** covid 19 sale. I think that was the coupon code as well. I ordered some 2" headers. Hopefully the added sound and little bump in power will help. I get them installed in my driveway and scramble to find someone to tune the car within the next month or two. I ended up speaking with GPI all the way in Arkansas (11ish hours from me.) We book an appointment. I also bought a ported msd and flex fuel kit... At that moment, I knew I couldn't be stopped. It hasn't even been 6 months yet and I'm already full bolt on plus the visuals. I happened to order some MRR zr1 reps and just didn't like the look and took them off. Got the car paint corrected and graphene coated. Even though I knew the monster inside couldn't be stopped, I was hoping fbo would be enough for a while.

Well, the car gets tuned and makes a healthy 465 or 468rear wheel on their dyno which is known to be stingy. I'm pleased with the car. Tickled pink, really. On the way home, I put the car through her paces a little. It was fast. Much faster than my cam only GTO that made around the same power and about 30lb less torque. What did I want to do after that? I wanted on the strip. Weld s71 drag pack incoming.

I wrap the welds with ET street R bias and some bias skinnies. The track day was brutal. Very high humidity and high 80 degree Temps in August 2020 left the DA around 4300. My best time was 12.15 @ 112.9 with a 1.8 60. The car was bogging a bit on launch. I was only leaving at 4500rpm or so. I was afraid of breaking the stock axle and didn't want to get too crazy. For comparison, the best time in my GTO m6 was 12.19 @ 114 with a 1.8 60. The DA was 2300 or so. That confirmed my notion the 6th gen was much faster and confirmation that GPIs dyno was stingy!

I had a blast. But it wasn't enough. I wanted to dip into the 11s so bad that day I could taste it. What do I do? Decide I want 10s. Perfectly reasonable, right? I get in touch with GPI and get a gameplan. I swap out the stock GM cai for a rotofab dry. Decide on the SS4 cam, port and mill the heads to the maximum that remains safe on 93. E isn't widely available in my area but I can get it at the track! Katech 103 to go with the ported msd. ATI underdrive pulley. All said and done, the car made 555ish on 93 and 568 on e.

Now I'm ready for 10s? Or am I?

I still had the stock junk in the drivetrain. During this odyssey, my fiancé and I had a baby girl. I travel for my work and the Camaro is my only car for now aside from the ol lady's Terrain. I'm paranoid I'm going to break everything out of it launching like a mad man. So, I order some DSS axles. And a line lock and two step.

After more paranoia setting in with how clutch engagement feels at high rpm... I also order a monster triple disk with billet bearing support. At that point, since everything is coming out, might as well get a driveshaft and shifter. I chose the hurst that retains stock knob because I love a factory look. I also picked up that nifty aeroforce gauge to monitor e content. Which is more or less a novelty. The car is currently under the knife getting all that installed. It has 13k miles on it. My quest for 10s is coming to head on April 30th for street car takeover. Decent DA and a prepped surface should get me there.

Now I'm off to figure out how to upload video for some track passes (good and bad) and some bumpity bump bump GPI action.
Attached Images

Stock. For now...
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Could've been my 11 second pass with the 1.6 60' but I missed second because of super sweaty hands. Gotta love humidity.

Best pass of the day. 4300 D/A

A pass in my GTO at the same track with 22xx D/A

Its a girl!

GPI SS4 goodness!

Stock. For now...
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote